Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search 4x4Wire




Recent Posts
Running out of engine options, will this work?
by rxinhed
Yesterday at 05:35 PM
Adjustable panhard rod
by TOASTY
Yesterday at 02:00 AM
How to check timing chain tension - 2.6 1987 Monte
by Mudraider
09/23/16 10:53 PM
JKS: Jeep JK EVAP Canister Skid Plate
by 4x4Wire
09/23/16 07:50 PM
ARB bumper GEN II montero
by MMeadows
09/23/16 06:37 PM
94 montero sr no brakes
by bodyswapped8789
09/22/16 09:10 PM
Edelbrock's Top It Off Promotion Is Back
by 4x4Wire
09/22/16 05:13 PM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
JKS: Jeep JK EVAP Canister Skid Plate
by 4x4Wire
09/23/16 07:50 PM
Edelbrock's Top It Off Promotion Is Back
by 4x4Wire
09/22/16 05:13 PM
How to check timing chain tension - 2.6 1987 Monte
by castaway
09/22/16 03:31 AM
Running out of engine options, will this work?
by DRTDEVL
09/22/16 03:00 AM
All alignment bolts seized...need suggestions for
by wilde
09/21/16 09:06 PM
BDS Super Duty 4" Coilover Conversion Systems
by 4x4Wire
09/21/16 06:24 PM
4x4 Gallery
Clearance check!
Testing the new Kenda Klever 31x10.50x15
My '88
4x4Wire YJ
IFS Holdout
More News on the 'Wire
4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
14,486 Registered Members
38 Forums
136,557 Topics
1,077,316 Posts

Most users ever online: 309 @ 09/15/15 01:18 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43627 - 11/25/02 04:11 PM Cheap/Free mods for 87 4runner 22RE w/5speed??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just want to do something more to my truck. I already have 3" lift in the back..

Things I've done so far:
plugs/wires/fuel filter/radiator/front brakes & calipers/air filter

Things that need to be done:
rear brakes and e-brake assembly (No parking brake now)
Needs new clutch
Steering wheel squeeks now. <img border="0" title="" alt="[Frown]" src="images/icons/frown.gif" />

Anybody have any ideas for free/cheap mods to increase HP and/or longetivity?

I'm thinking !CAT... my current cat is stock with 120K miles.
Top
Support our sponsors
#43628 - 11/25/02 04:17 PM Re: Cheap/Free mods for 87 4runner 22RE w/5speed??
John Smith Offline
Body Damage is Cool
Registered: 12/27/99
Posts: 1056
Loc: Silver Spring, MD, USA
Throw a can of BG44k in the fuel tank to clean up your intake. You should be able to find a can for around $20.

Have you done your timing chain yet? It is due. It is not a small job but is relatively cheap if you do it yourself.

The clutch is not complex but it is a PITA unless you have a body lift and tranny jack.

I know most of these are not performance mods but they will keep your truck living longer. Short of a blower or turbo you are not going to add too much performance to this engine with low buck mods.

<small>[ November 25, 2002, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: John Smith ]</small>
_________________________
John Smith 79 FJ40
87 StdCab w/22R TLCA# 9074
Top
#43629 - 11/25/02 05:10 PM Re: Cheap/Free mods for 87 4runner 22RE w/5speed??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have not done timing chain just yet.. but from what I read i'll be doing it soon.. Do I just replace the timing chain and be done with it? Do I have to adjust timing for the engine at all with a timing gun?

For the clutch.. I can lift the truck with a fork lift... and don't have a tranny jack.. I might just try and live with it for the winter. It only slips sometimes in 4'th gear on LONG trips. So its going out, just not sure when.

I will definately do the fuel tank additive. Thanks!!!

I'm all about longetivity and increasing life with this truck. I love it!! Its got 118K miles on it now and I would be VERY pleased to get 200K+ out of it. I couldn't be happier with any other truck.
Top
#43630 - 11/26/02 06:25 AM Re: Cheap/Free mods for 87 4runner 22RE w/5speed??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Magnus,

I've got a ton of low-buck mod ideas... swaybar disconnect, low-profile bumpstops, (DON'T crank your t-bars or get thicker ones, if you plan to wheel), 1" body lift, soft top (for summer), rust prevention/inspection...

Are you near Chicago? So am I, drop me an email at toyota.4x4@att.net, and we'll get together. If you're interested, a few Toyotas are exploring Forest Roads in SW Michigan this Saturday. Basically pre-scouting for challenges next summer, so this trip will be moderate wheeling: we plan to cover alot of ground.

Later,
Kenton

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helv, Helvetica, Sans">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helv, Helvetica, Sans">Originally posted by Magnus:
<strong>I have not done timing chain just yet.. but from what I read i'll be doing it soon.. Do I just replace the timing chain and be done with it? Do I have to adjust timing for the engine at all with a timing gun?

For the clutch.. I can lift the truck with a fork lift... and don't have a tranny jack.. I might just try and live with it for the winter. It only slips sometimes in 4'th gear on LONG trips. So its going out, just not sure when.

I will definately do the fuel tank additive. Thanks!!!

I'm all about longetivity and increasing life with this truck. I love it!! Its got 118K miles on it now and I would be VERY pleased to get 200K+ out of it. I couldn't be happier with any other truck.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helv, Helvetica, Sans">
Top
#43631 - 11/25/02 08:53 PM Re: Cheap/Free mods for 87 4runner 22RE w/5speed??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Kenton, I will drop you an e-mail.. saturday sounds like fun.. I'd also like to bounce some questions off of people.

I already cut off the endlinks on the front sway bar. <img border="0" title="" alt="[Smile]" src="images/icons/smile.gif" />

I'm not sure if my truck can handle moderate wheeling. I need to buy a spare tire and my clutch slips when I've driven the truck for 2+ hours.
Top
#43632 - 11/26/02 04:05 AM Re: Cheap/Free mods for 87 4runner 22RE w/5speed??
Anonymous
Unregistered

do any exhaust mods you can afford. K&N air filter, cut a hole in the airbox, get a high flow catalytic converter and muffler, then a header.
Top
#43633 - 11/26/02 04:34 PM Re: Cheap/Free mods for 87 4runner 22RE w/5speed??
Anonymous
Unregistered

No problem. Drop me an email after the holidays, and we'll get together!

In response to Churnd: in my experience the airflow isn't the big restriction; after you've done other things like put on headers, opened up the exhaust (collector, cat, pipe, muffler) a little (no more than 2-2 1/4"), increased lift/duration with a lumpy cam, and/or bored/smoothed the throttle body then it might be worth doing the air intake better. Until then, I think a K&N is an expensive hassle with little/no improvement, and cutting a hole causes more dirt and water to get to the engine, which shortens its lifetime.

I think the best improvement for air intake is to alter the box for a broad opening as high and cool as possible with large-area, STANDARD autoparts-store stocked, air filter, and put a sticker on the box stating what filter it uses. Unfortunately I haven't seen anyone make the modification that I'm satisfied with (cheap, easy, effective), except a snorkel, which I don't like (too gaudy).

Kenton

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helv, Helvetica, Sans">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helv, Helvetica, Sans">Originally posted by Magnus:
<strong>Hi Kenton, I will drop you an e-mail.. saturday sounds like fun.. I'd also like to bounce some questions off of people.

I already cut off the endlinks on the front sway bar. <img border="0" title="" alt="[Smile]" src="images/icons/smile.gif" />

I'm not sure if my truck can handle moderate wheeling. I need to buy a spare tire and my clutch slips when I've driven the truck for 2+ hours.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helv, Helvetica, Sans">
Top
#43634 - 11/26/02 04:51 PM Re: Cheap/Free mods for 87 4runner 22RE w/5speed??
Anonymous
Unregistered

On the intake note... After doing a larger AFM, cone K&N, different rubber couplings and larger x-over pipe it has made a decent difference. Enough to feel? Im not sure, I did notice a difference doing the larger afm, and cone filter, as those we done at the same time. Doing the larger x-over pipe was noticable in terms of top speed on the freeway, not seat of the pants. Scrounging pick-n-pulls, you can do the intake for under 65 bucks, so its hard to go wrong. also, Im not sure if youd notice any difference without a cam or header.. And right now, its still a stock t-body, soon to be bored 4mm over.
Top
#43635 - 11/26/02 05:16 PM Re: Cheap/Free mods for 87 4runner 22RE w/5speed??
dknight Offline
Mudrunner
Registered: 02/20/00
Posts: 456
Loc: NY
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helv, Helvetica, Sans">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helv, Helvetica, Sans">Originally posted by kenton:
[QB] Unfortunately I haven't seen anyone make the modification that I'm satisfied with (cheap, easy, effective), except a snorkel, which I don't like (too gaudy).</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helv, Helvetica, Sans">gaudy??? A snorkel is cheap insurance. It saved my engine twice now - money well spent. It does attract more attention than I'd like ('cept for the cuties) but I think it is worth it. It won't help with adding power though.

I agree with your other comments regaring 22re intake, 'cept I prefer to use toyota filters.

I wonder if insulating the *long* air intake under the hood might give some cheap easy gains. I don't understand why the Toyota engineers decided to run the air intake above the radiator. Seems silly, but, perhaps the air moves fast enough not to heat up much....?
Top
#43636 - 11/27/02 06:29 AM Re: Cheap/Free mods for 87 4runner 22RE w/5speed??
Anonymous
Unregistered

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helv, Helvetica, Sans">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helv, Helvetica, Sans">Originally posted by dknight:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helv, Helvetica, Sans">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helv, Helvetica, Sans">Originally posted by kenton:
[QB] Unfortunately I haven't seen anyone make the modification that I'm satisfied with (cheap, easy, effective), except a snorkel, which I don't like (too gaudy).</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helv, Helvetica, Sans">gaudy??? A snorkel is cheap insurance. It saved my engine twice now - money well spent. It does attract more attention than I'd like ('cept for the cuties) but I think it is worth it. It won't help with adding power though.

I agree with your other comments regaring 22re intake, 'cept I prefer to use toyota filters.

I wonder if insulating the *long* air intake under the hood might give some cheap easy gains. I don't understand why the Toyota engineers decided to run the air intake above the radiator. Seems silly, but, perhaps the air moves fast enough not to heat up much....?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helv, Helvetica, Sans">For ME, it is too gaudy, and it isn't insurance because the odds of me hydro-locking my engine are very low.

It does help with adding (a slight amount of) power, by the way. Cooler (more dense) air. Hood scoops on sports cars are 99% show, but that one percent is real.

Toyota filters are only re-badged generic filters (oil, air, everything). Possibly top-shelf generic filters, but generic nonetheless.

I agree going over the hot radiator may cause a slight drop in performance, however I can't see an easy (underhood) fix. Even trading AFM and battery places may not give enough room.
Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  4Crawler, kewlynx 

Search the 4x4Wire site:



4x4Wire Portal: 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet-News | TrailTalk Forums | Site Index | FaceBook | Google+Google+
4x4Wire Archive: 4x4 Tech | 4x4 Reviews | 4x4 News | 4x4 Trails | Destinations | 4x4 Access
Jeep | Toyota | Mitsubishi | Isuzu
More 4x4Wire: Toyota FAQ | Toyota Projects | Toyota Maintenance | Toyota 4Runner | Toyota Tech
Jeep Tech | Jeep Projects | Jeep News | Jeep Reviews | Jeep Gallery


OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting
Copyright (c) 2000-2016 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.