4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

Feedback & Testing >> Test Forum

pcc
Rock Warrior

Reged: 03/17/05
Loc: South East U.S.A.
Fuel Pressure Test
      09/03/07 03:27 PM

I decided it was time to install a fuel pressure test port on my Montero as the only way to test the pressure is with a factory adapter that is expensive and difficult to use. I wanted to install a Ford style Schrader fitting but the connect threads are 1/16 NPT, a difficult thread size to obtain. I have an Actron Fuel pressure gauge kit which comes with some adapters that are only meant as temporary test ports, but I wanted a permanent hook-up. I found that on one of Actron’s adapters there was an in-line hose test fitting where they used a 1/8 NPT X -4 AN male Schrader fitting that screwed right to the test gauge. You can purchase the in-line test fitting from Actron separately and remove the Schrader fitting. So far they haven’t said if they will sell the fitting by itself. I purchased a three port 1/8 NPT female Tee, one 90 degree 1/8 male NPT X 1/8 female NPT and two 1/8 NPT X 5/16 hose fittings. I also bought some 5/16 fuel line clamps that work better than the usual hose clamps. Here is the parts list:

1. (1) Actron Dual Manifold W/Schrader Connection 0180-000-1478 - $3.23
http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16173
2. (1) Three Port 1/8 NPT brass fitting
3. (2) 5/16 hose connections X 1/8 NPT (not barb fittings)
4. (1) 90 degree 1/8 NPT male X 1/8 NPT female
5. (2) 5/16 Fuel Line clamps Carquest P/N 52F15. you’ll probably have to buy the box
5. (1) Tube Permatex “High Performance Thread Sealant”
6. (1) Can Permatex spray on “Surface Prep”

You’ll notice that the high pressure fuel line has a sharp 180 degree bend in it. So using the 1/8 three port Tee I arranged the fittings to give me a 90 degree bend with the test fitting on the right pointing upward. I also found that an R12 Schrader fitting dust cap works as a cover for the fuel pressure test port. I recommend using Permatex thread sealant as it is very reliable and gives a safe connection. Total cost of the project is about $20. I tested the fuel pressure and it reads 40 psi – 38 psi being the factory spec.

--------------------
92 Montero LS 3.0L V6 Auto, Stock, Original owner, 170,665K miles

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Fuel Pressure Test pcc 09/03/07 03:27 PM
. * * Re: Fuel Pressure Test kewlynx   09/05/07 03:07 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  code33 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1582

Rate this thread

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums