Using the new and improved Search feature on our forums has elicited some questions. Here is a great post on Tips form our friends at ThreadsDev.
The new and improved Search Feature in UBB.Threads 6.4 is very powerful, however if you're not familiar with how to use it properly, it may not yield the results you are looking for.
To Perform a Search:
Go to the Search Page
Select the Category, Forum or Forums that you would like to search from the left. - Selecting a Category will search all forums in that category. - Selecting one forum will search in just that forum - Selecting multiple forums will search only withing those selected forums
On the right, to search a keyword enter it into the box. You can click "Advanced Search Tips" for more help. - Entering a single keyword will search for that word.
- Entering 2 or more words will search for each word, as if there were an OR operator. So entering peanut butter will search for posts containing peanut OR butter
- Entering 2 or more words WITH PLUS SIGNS will search with an AND operator. So entering +peanut +butter will search for posts that contain peanut AND butter but they do NOT have to be together.
- Entering 2 or more words IN QUOTE MARKS will search for the phrase. So entering "peanut butter" will search for posts that contain the PHRASE peanut butter and will not return the post if it contains only one of the words.
- Entering 2 or more words with A MINUS sign will exclude words from the search. So entering +peanut -butter will search for posts which have the word peanut in them and DO NOT have the word butter.
- You can mix and match search operators. For example, entering "peanut butter" -jelly would return posts containing the PHRASE peanut butter and NOT containing the word jelly.
- Entering "peanut butter" +jelly -dance would return posts containing the PHRASE peanut butter and containing the word jelly but NOT containing the word dance.
Below that, you can choose whether you are searching the subject AND body of the posts, or just the subject.
Under the Username search section, you can enter a username here. This can be done with or without keywords. So entering "peanut butter" +jelly + dance in the keywords and the username of navaho would return posts containing the PHRASE peanut butter AND the word jelly AND the word dance posted by the user navaho.
Next select a date range. There's an option to search all posts, or search for posts newer or older than a certain criteria. Narrowing down the search time will increase the speed of the results.
Next you can choose how many results per page you wish to view.
As well as choose to view a profile of the body. If selected this will show you the first few words in the body of each post.
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.