In an effort to achieve some additional wheel travel, I preloaded my torsion bars on my 88 2dr, and trimmed the bumpstops a little when I did this. I noticed that my wheel travel did not increase as much as I expected, and found the front sway bar to be the culprit, so it got removed. I tried an experiment, and completely eliminated the stop that limits droop. Worked like a charm, too, but it is kind of noisy when the front wheels fall in to the deeper holes. I should say was noisy, because I found what I think is a pretty good solution.... I cut some teflon sheet material, which I use as "skidplating" on my drift boat. This material is used to keep boats of this type from sticking on rocks when running rapids, and is availible where these types of boats are sold. I applied the material to the place where the bumpstops were, and no more wierd "oh my gosh this thing is beating itself up" noises as the suspension cycles. So far, it seems a good solution. I'll have to see how well the CV joints on the front end handle this mod, but I do not expect any problems. If I could just get this thing to idle.....
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.