4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4xForums >> Tools and Fabrication

Pages: 1
bowtieguy
Need a Spot

Reged: 04/30/07
Flatbed Construction for my '84 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup
      #998202 - 04/30/07 10:46 PM

i'm currently thinking about building a flatbed for my pickup. my father and i have been looking at flatbeds for a while and we decided that we could build a really nice one for about 1/4 of the cost of buying one and then having to have it shipped here and us install it ourselves. i was wondering if anyone had plans they would like to share or a website with a pretty cool design to it?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
whitelespaul
Wheeler

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: M'ville, Georgia
Re: Flatbed Construction for my '84 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup [Re: bowtieguy]
      #1008369 - 06/02/07 12:23 PM

I had one built about 10 years ago. Its still on the truck. The intergrated roll bar/ headache rack saved my son's neck when he rolled it 3 years ago. I used 2x4 square tubing for the joists and 1/8" diamond plate for the bed. It was 8' originally but I cut it back to just under 6' when I bobbed the whole truck to just behing the rear spring perches. I can post a pic next week if you want.

The price of steel is very high right now, shocking in fact. That bed added over 700 lbs to the truck when it was 8' long. I was getting less than 15 MPG with a well tuned 2.6 liter motor as a result. If I had to do it again today, I would spend the extra money for aluminum. I'd check the junkyards for a wrecked rollback or the scrap metal yards for extruded aluminum scrap for the joists and use 1/4" aluminum diamond plate. I would also build it to the bobbed size to begin with. The best thing I did to my truck for off road use was cutting off the back.

--------------------
83 mitsu flat bed 2.6l weber, 88 auto tranny, 2" body lift, 4.625 LSD, 235/85-16E mudders (33 x 9.50).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  PHIL 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2714

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums