4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Toyota Forums
More Toyota on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Toyota Section | Toyota FAQ | Toyota Tech
Toyota Forums: Early Toyota Trucks | 4Runner, FJ Crusier and SUV | T100 and Tundra | Tacoma | Toyota Archives

Toyota Forums >> Early Toyota Trucks

Pages: 1
Karhu
Need a Spot

Reged: 01/23/07
Loc: Overland Park, KS
'87 22R Pickup - Weber Carb, need some advice
      #963592 - 01/23/07 10:35 PM

Hi there. This winter I've decided to finally sit down and learn a bit more about my engine and truck and how everything works. Well, more like it was decided for me when my carburator finally started going out on me. Anyway, I've recently purchased and installed a Weber 34/34 DGEC (a rebuild was not possible with this one), and after a little adjustment of my distributor timing, new spark plugs, wires, and a cap and rotor, it's running pretty good. As soon as possible I'm going to go in and adjust my valves and give it a new head gasket. It's not perfect yet, but it'll get there.

So, with this carb, I unplugged the eight or so vaccuum hoses from the old stock one and only plugged one back in, capping the others (and piping a few differently) There are no emissions laws where I live, and so I'm wondering what I unplugged that is important? Is all of that stuff unneeded for the proper (although unclean) running of my engine? Is any of it?

The EGR system: I heard before that your engine will not run properly if you don't have this hooked up. Is this only in the case of a carburetor that has an EGR port? Can I plug up the pipes going to and from the EGR and the EGR Modulator and forget it's attached to the engine?

The Air Switching Valve (ASV) and resonator: The resonator used to connect to the inner part of the air cleaner. Currently I have it hooked the same on the weber with the engine's breather hose leaking down and out. (Weber's instructions said to put the breater in the air cleaner and didn't mention the resonator's hose.) Should I do this? Or should I put the breather back in the air cleaner and plug up the resonator. Can I remove it all together and remove vaccuum from the ASV?

Vacuum Control Valve (VCV): A little hub of hoses that doesn't appear to have much function anymore. Can I remove it altogether? (This means plugging the ASV)

Charcoal Canisters: I have two. Any use to me anymore? Is it safe to plug the vacuums off. Should these continue running?

What about the vacuum coming out of the distributor that is not the advance line going to the carb?

What about the little switches I didn't mention? The VSV, BVSV, and VTV?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ArbitraryNotion
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 07/22/02
Loc: Flagstaff, AZ
Re: '87 22R Pickup - Weber Carb, need some advice [Re: Karhu]
      #964474 - 01/25/07 09:15 PM

ahhh... where to start... where to start...

EGR: Engine will run fine without it. Might need to back off the timing a bit since the EGR will reduce cyl temps due to the "inert" exhaust it dumps in. Best thing to do is get the kit from www.LCEngineering.com to block off the whole system.

The vac lines on the carb are for the vac advance on the distributor. The one above the throttle plate is for the outer (I think) and the one below the throttle place is for the inner.

Charcoal canisters vent excess pressure from the gas tank. You can vent them to atmosphere but watch your gas mileage when doing so. Run one take plugged and one not. I saw a few points different once.

All the other valves just do Air Suction and EGR stuff for the most part. None are "needed" other than to help the enviroment.

LMK if you need any clarification. :)

Cheers!

--------------------
1986 Toyota 4x4 22wEBer
Ported EB Offroad H/O Head "Josh Cam"
Ported Intake & Weber38mm Carb
LCE Header & 2.25in Exhaust
RB 1" BL, RS5000, SAW Tbars

2011 FJ Cruiser - SOLD

Karhu
Need a Spot

Re: '87 22R Pickup - Weber Carb, need some advice [Re: ArbitraryNotion]
      #964713 - 01/26/07 12:57 PM

Interesting, I think I'll have to pickup an EGR block plate. If I put on a block plate, will I still need to mess with the timing? I already did back it off a little after installing my carb because I was preigniting when I turned the truck off. So, the cylinders will run hotter without EGR? Is this bad?

On the charcoal canisters, do you know why there is vacuum running to them? I'm not sure if it's hooked to a vacuum source anymore, I'd have to look. Sounds like I'll keep them up and running.

So, no thoughts on the air switching valve? It's about the size and shape of the EGR, but in the front near the fuel pump. If I remember right it's hooked into the engine block and the intake manifold. It also feeds to the resonator (this is just an empty container for noise pollution, right?) which feeds back to the air cleaner. I can't remember if it's recycling air back to the carb or drawing air to the ASV...

coryc85
Wheeler

Reged: 01/06/05
Loc: South FL
      #964866 - 01/26/07 07:41 PM

I unhooked the ASV that you are speaking of...truck seems to run pretty good without it.

--------------------
83 4x4, 3" Lift, 33" Buckshot Mudders

subliminaltrips
Wheeler

Reged: 08/25/06
Loc: ocala,fl
Re: '87 22R Pickup - Weber Carb, need some advice [Re: coryc85]
      #965025 - 01/27/07 07:16 AM

iam getting a little dieseling at shutoff also. i have blocked off my egr and my timing is advanced to 8btdc because it seemed like a rich condition. im goimg to back the timing off to 5deg and try that, it only does it after running it on th eroad for untill it warms up completly. i never thought the egr would cause this but after thinking about it, it makes sense. im not trying to jack this thread but i have a similar problem.

btw its an 85-up block with everything from an 84 truck , enginbldr head , 261c cam and a weber 38.

--------------------
www.fattshack.com

www.blueyfab.com

Karhu
Need a Spot

Re: '87 22R Pickup - Weber Carb, need some advice [Re: ArbitraryNotion]
      #967386 - 02/02/07 05:47 PM

So, does an active EGR increase gas mileage? How does a Weber factor into that and the cyl temps? Would I be better off keeping it in place? If so, can anyone recommend the best way to keep vacuum to it with a Weber installed?

ArbitraryNotion
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 07/22/02
Loc: Flagstaff, AZ
      #969178 - 02/07/07 01:29 PM

If you have a Hayes manual check out some of the Canadian emissions systems from the early to mid eighties. I don't have the manual near but I did this on a 86 2wd 22r with a 32/36 and it passed emmissions in AZ (roller test) with flying colors. You pretty much figure out which vac lines are above the thottle plate and which are below. Then hook them up accordingly.

On my 86 22r with a 38mm I blocked the entire system without any major ill effects. I've had to do alot of engine work with it but with all the perfomance stuff on it and how hard it's run it's difficult to pin problems on minor things like the EGR.

--------------------
1986 Toyota 4x4 22wEBer
Ported EB Offroad H/O Head "Josh Cam"
Ported Intake & Weber38mm Carb
LCE Header & 2.25in Exhaust
RB 1" BL, RS5000, SAW Tbars

2011 FJ Cruiser - SOLD

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  4Crawler, kewlynx 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5901

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums