4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

Isuzu TrailTalk Forums
More Isuzu on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Isuzu Section | 4x4Wire Isuzu Tech
Isuzu Forums: Isuzu 4x4 and SUV Talk | Isuzu 4x4 and SUV Tech | Isuzu Diesel

Isuzu Forums >> Isuzu 4x4 & SUV Tech

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

1988 isuzu trooper 4 cyl 2.6 vacuum problem
      #910922 - 08/08/06 03:41 PM

I recently replaced the intake manifold in my 1988 trooper ls 4 cyl 2.6 l . I must have gotten some of the vacuum and/or emissions hoses crossed up. It won't stay running.a picture or a diagram would be helpful.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mlclarkModerator
Isuzu Moderator

Reged: 04/11/00
Loc: Ventura County
Re: 1988 isuzu trooper 4 cyl 2.6 vacuum problem [Re: ]
      #910924 - 08/08/06 03:47 PM

They very sneekily placed one under the hood, in full view.

Good Luck,
Michael

Troopersphere
Rock Warrior

Reged: 07/13/05
Loc: Central NJ
      #910961 - 08/08/06 06:31 PM

If you SEARCH back some, there are posts which have pics attached with some detailed pics of "what goes where" . I think there are detailed pics of BOB LARGE 's recent rebuild of his 2.6 . If you have something a bit more specific ... you know... like " There are two hoses coming off the bottom of the Throttle Body, where do they go ? " ... that might help some too.

If for some reason, there is no diagram under your hood, I bet that you could find one on-line ... {hint} GOOGLE {/hint}

--------------------
C/YA!
Jeff
'88 Trooper
2DR LWB 4ZE1 5SP
bone stock DD

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 1988 isuzu trooper 4 cyl 2.6 vacuum problem [Re: mlclark]
      #911159 - 08/09/06 10:27 AM

I have used the diagram under the hood but it doesent show all the hoses/connections. I also have used the haynes manual and it's not complete. I got a digital pic of the site that confirmed most of the top connections but there are so many underneath the intake manifold that may be wrong. I am specifically unsure of a connection of an F shaped sensor/port coming off of the lower intake manifold. should i try and spend the $25 on a dealer dvd/rom manual?

mlclarkModerator
Isuzu Moderator

Reged: 04/11/00
Loc: Ventura County
      #911188 - 08/09/06 12:40 PM

Actually, the diagram under the hood is complete. You just have to follow the lines. The diagram is rather schematic and it does not necessarly represent the individual parts exactly, but all the lines are there.

There are also not that many "under" the manifold. You have two lines coming off of the throttle body and that is about it. There is also a larger line going to the charcoal canister, but that one is on the outside edge by the thermal (f-shaped) valve. The rest of the lines either go directly to the manifold, to the MAF transducer (UFO looking thing) or the fuel pressure regulator.

I wish I could help you more, but you just have to work through it one by one. Once you do, the connections will make sense.

Good Luck,
Michael

PS, I *think* that one of the lines from under the throttle body goes to the thermal valve and the other port goes to the EGR ?transducer?. I'll know more when I look at a diagram.

RT1
Mudrunner

Reged: 01/27/04
Loc: NJ
      #911191 - 08/09/06 12:45 PM

They "F" shaped thingy is a thermostatic vacuum switch which shouldn't impact getting started. It's only function is to keep the exhaust gas recirculating valve from operating when the engine is cold. From memory the outer leg slips onto a port on the underside of the intake manifold and the inner threads through the manifold to slip onto the inlet side of the back pressure transducer (brown top shaped thingy). When the engine warms up the vacuum switch opens and allows vacuum to operate the EGR. Cold and at idle it won't even come into play.

Do you have everything hooked up/plugged? From a practical perspective on a cold start none of the pneumatics are doing much except the big tube on the side of the throttle body. You should be able to cap off or pinch off all the pneumatics and it would still run... not well, but it would run. I assume you have the air intake tube firmly in place. if the mass air flow sensor doesn't signal air flow you aren't going to start or run.

--------------------
'89 P'up, 2.6 I-Tec, 488,000 miles and done... gone to the great beyond

Troopersphere
Rock Warrior

Reged: 07/13/05
Loc: Central NJ
Re: 1988 isuzu trooper 4 cyl 2.6 vacuum problem [Re: RT1]
      #911261 - 08/09/06 05:41 PM

That "F shaped thingy" could also mean the "splitter" that is on one of the lines coming from the throttle body, which splits the vacuum to the fuel pressure vacuum solenoid, and the purge solenoid.

One thing you _don't_ want to do is mix up the two lines coming from the throttle body, they ARE differently calibrated sources of vacuum.

--------------------
C/YA!
Jeff
'88 Trooper
2DR LWB 4ZE1 5SP
bone stock DD

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  jezeric, houlster, Jim_Paget, mlclark, strawmyers 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2915

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums