4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire TrailTalk Jeep Forums

More Jeep on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Jeep Section | 4x4Wire Jeep Tech Section
4x4Wire TrailTalk Jeep Forums: Jeep Talk | Jeep Tech

Jeep Forums >> Jeep Tech

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tire PSI 33x12.50 procomp mud terrain
      #868772 - 03/29/06 11:54 PM

Anyone have a good PSI recommendation. I run MAINLY highway. This is a daily driver so the best on road pressure is required for best fuel economy (hah had to say it..).

Thankyas!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JeePete
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 03/27/04
Loc: Mississippi
Re: Tire PSI 33x12.50 procomp mud terrain [Re: ]
      #868805 - 03/30/06 01:40 AM

For maximum fuel economy buy a Honda! (Sorry, had to say it!) But seriously, the more pressure you put in it the less rolling resistance it will have. Also the rougher ride and less traction it will provide. Its a compromise game. I would probably run them around 25-30psi for hwy use or whatever it takes to keep at least 80% of the tread width on the pavement. you don't want to ride on only the center of the tread. you want most of the tread (side to side) to contact the road. Too small a footprint is dangerous in low traction conditions. If you want to use the least amount of fuel in a Jeep, don't go over 60 MPH and work the gas and brake pedals like there is a raw egg under your foot that you don't want to break. Proper drivetrain and brake maintainence is a must also, oil, filters, ignition, etc. a dragging brake pad or shoe can cost you a bunch of gas.

--------------------
Freedom Off Road

Anonymous
Unregistered

#868956 - 03/30/06 03:28 PM

I run about 27 PSIG. How wide are the rims?

fred1980
Mudrunner

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: San Jose, CA
      #868988 - 03/30/06 06:04 PM

I have 32x11.50 Pro-Comp muds and I run them at 30PSI all the way around to get less rolling resistance and better mileage. The ride if rough though, so if you want a softer ride you should do about 25PSI or so. The other thing is if you have any hint of Death Wobble on your rig now running your tires a +30PSI will amplify that because your tires will be much stiffer and with softer tires (less air) they act as another "dampner" of sorts against imperfections in the road that usually cause death wobble. That was the case when I first lifted my Jeep, but now that I've got it all dialed in I run them at 30PSI with no problems.

Fred R.

--------------------
97 ZJ, 5" Long Arm Lift, Beadlocked 35's, 231/D300 Doubler, Locked Front & Rear (Narrowed HP D44 & F8.8), ARB Bull Bar & 9K winch, 1-Ton Hydro-assist steering, "Custom" body work and some other goodies... PICS

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Tire PSI 33x12.50 procomp mud terrain [Re: JeePete]
      #869075 - 03/30/06 10:37 PM

I run 25 PSI on my jeep. You run high pressures, and you will ware the heck out of them.

JeePete
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 03/27/04
Loc: Mississippi
      #869082 - 03/30/06 10:47 PM

I run 30 but mine are 32's. No problem with wear here.

--------------------
Freedom Off Road

Fred Blackstone
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 01/20/00
Loc: Higlands Ranch, CO
      #869224 - 03/31/06 11:03 AM

Quote:

I run 25 PSI on my jeep. You run high pressures, and you will ware the heck out of them.

Sunder, this is more a question about the topic rather than an attack of your 25 PSI highway tire pressure statement; but, most Wrangler tires are rated for 32 PSI, or thereabouts. Wouldn't you be causing higher tire temperatures and subjecting the tires to component failure and more tire ware to the outside of the tires by running 25 PSI tire pressure on the highway?
I realize that Wranglers are light vehicles and , maybe, the light truck tires most of us run are HD for the Wrangler. I've played around with this issue a little bit when my SSR's were new; it seemed that I needed to maintain 28 lbs or more to reduce the "drag" I could "feel" in the Wrangler's steering due to under-inflated tires.

--------------------
94 YJ, SOA, 2-1/2 Alcans, ARB-front, Detroit-Rear, 4.56:1 gears, Oasis Trailhead compressor, 4:1 Terra Lo, 37x12.50x15 SSR's, 8000 lb Ramsey, & etc.

bhartwell59
Getting the Wheeling Fever

Reged: 03/28/05
Loc: dallas, texas
Re: Tire PSI 33x12.50 procomp mud terrain [Re: Fred Blackstone]
      #869319 - 03/31/06 04:02 PM

i've got 33 bfg muds. i put 23 lbs in the front and 19 in the rear (for greater contact patch and wear). i know the gas economy is a joke... but driving a brick w/four tires on it doesn't bode well for fuel economy in the first place.

--------------------
4.2 '87 yj, 263,000 miles, mopar mpi, 33" mud bfg, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 shaft conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow/custom exhaust, 4wd bumper/swing-out tire carrier

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Tire PSI 33x12.50 procomp mud terrain [Re: Fred Blackstone]
      #869395 - 03/31/06 08:59 PM

I would run 28-32 with the little tires, but 33's are much larger, and designed for heavier loads. If you run 28-32 PSI on your 33x12.5's you will wear the middle of the tire much faster than the rest. The tire will balloon out because there is not enough load to force it flat. If you want good tire life, somewhere between 22-28 PSI on a 33 depending on brand. If you want good gas mileage and you must have your 33's, fill them up to the max rated tire pressure. You might get 1 or 2 more MPG at the cost of half the tire life...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  KF6ZPL 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1220

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums