4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Toyota Forums
More Toyota on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Toyota Section | Toyota FAQ | Toyota Tech
Toyota Forums: Early Toyota Trucks | 4Runner, FJ Crusier and SUV | T100 and Tundra | Tacoma | Toyota Archives

Toyota Forums >> Toyota 4Runner, FJ Cruiser & SUV

Pages: 1
kvcrunner
Need a Spot

Reged: 08/17/05
4Runner Vibration and Shimmy
      #784737 - 09/21/05 11:32 AM

I'm having vibration/shimmy of my steering wheel when traveling over 60mph, and sometimes at lesser speeds. When I hit bumps in the road, my steering wheel shimmy's. I've had a wheel balance recently, and I've had an alignment a couple months ago. Could it be a bad steering stabilizer/damper? Is there any other components or maintenance items I should consider? Is there anybody having the same issues? I do have some vibration when i brake, so I'm guessing my rotors are warped, again! Can this be related? I had them replaced at 20,000 miles.
Thanks
KVCRunner
2000 4WD 4Runner
60,000 miles

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
4mudder
Wheeler

Reged: 01/01/05
Loc: Maryland
Re: 4Runner Vibration and Shimmy [Re: kvcrunner]
      #784880 - 09/21/05 05:36 PM

Unless your rotors are really bad they shouldnt vibe when not braking. It does sound like your damper is shot. I'd replace it b4 other things simply because its not too expensive.

--------------------
89 K5 Blazer,TBI 350, 700R4, 6" lift, 40" groundhawgs,3/4 ton 14 bolt rear, 3/4 ton 10 bolt front, 4.88:1 Gears

kvcrunner
Need a Spot

Reged: 08/17/05
      #785384 - 09/22/05 05:54 PM

Thanks. Do you happen to know what the damper looks like and where it is located. I looked under the truck and didn't see anything looking like a shock absorber? What should I be looking for? How much am I looking to spend for repair at the toyota dealer and what exactly should I ask to replace. Thanks again.
-kvcrunner

4mudder
Wheeler

Reged: 01/01/05
Loc: Maryland
      #785543 - 09/22/05 11:25 PM

if your going to the dealer just tell them to replace your steering damper. It should be in front of the drag link and looks just like a shock w/out the rubber dust boot it wil have a metal protective cover over the rod and if you dont see it then its not there and thats your prob.

--------------------
89 K5 Blazer,TBI 350, 700R4, 6" lift, 40" groundhawgs,3/4 ton 14 bolt rear, 3/4 ton 10 bolt front, 4.88:1 Gears

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 4Runner Vibration and Shimmy [Re: 4mudder]
      #785608 - 09/23/05 02:47 AM

3RD generation 4Runners like yours do not have steering dampners, if you are talking about the 2000 model listed on your signature. Those are on the old solid axle 4Runners only, I believe. You might look at your tires for uneven tread wear, cupping, etc., which can cause what you describe, and have the alignment checked again, too. Other possibilities are your CV axle bearings or possibly your steering rack, which usually will just cause the truck to wander at speed (the rack, not the CV bearings), rather than causing a shimmy and shake!

It does sound like your brake rotors are warped, as well, since you feel it in your pedal, too. That's more than likely a seperate issue from your high speed shimmy. Also, there's a notice on the board about some recent recalls concerning steering issues from Toyota. Might want to do a search and see if your vehicle is included in that. You never know. Hope this helps.

larsdennert
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 01/06/01
Loc: Pasadena, CA USA
      #789193 - 10/01/05 11:36 PM

Also check the rack bushings. Have someone turn the steering wheel and watch the rack for excessive side movement. Chances are it is alignment though. 3rd Gens are very caster sensitive and will shimmy if they don't have enough. Also try rotating the tires and see if it goes away.

As far as brake vibration, see the other recent post or my web site.

--------------------
Lars,
Gold Coast Cruisers |My 4Runner

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dandeman, kewlynx, Adam F 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1657

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums