4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Toyota Forums
More Toyota on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Toyota Section | Toyota FAQ | Toyota Tech
Toyota Forums: Early Toyota Trucks | 4Runner, FJ Crusier and SUV | T100 and Tundra | Tacoma | Toyota Archives

Toyota Forums >> Tacoma Forum

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tacoma RECALL - Hard steering
      #728522 - 05/18/05 08:55 AM

Well I just found out this morning that Toyota is having a recall on its 2000+ Tacoma's and Tundra's for hard steering.
Don't have the details as of yet.
Although it is kind of ironic since mine had been at Toyota for about 2 weeks for HARD steering and they couldn't find out the cause. They replaced the upper and lower A-arm's, steering knuckle(after they busted it) and then I had them replace the steering pump and rack-and-pinion when I got it back since I knew they would have to for a good follow up score, and they did.
This is all after they called their own tech support, had an area repair rep out and talked to them. Nobody had any idea. I find that VERY hard to believe with a recall lurking in the wind like this. Especially as I just got it back about a week ago!
Its an 04' with 11,000 miles on it.
So it should be interesting to see what it is they have in the recall.
It ONLY affects about 750,000 trucks~
Should be interesting. I am going to go hunting to see what it is all about.
Then I am gonna call the dealer and see what they have heard.
Chad

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Tacoma RECALL - Hard steering [Re: ]
      #728523 - 05/18/05 09:02 AM

The company said the truck and SUV recall covers 774,856 vehicles in the United States, including the 2001-2004 model years of the Tacoma, the 2001-2002 versions of the 4Runner and the 2002-2004 model years of the Tundra and Sequoia.

Toyota said the surface of a ball joint that connects to the front suspension may have been scratched when it was manufactured, which could lead to wear and tear over time.

Any excessive wear or looseness in the joint could force drivers to exert more effort when steering, allow the vehicle to drift and increase the amount of noise from the suspension.

Well, it doesn't look to be anything big. Since they replaced the rack and stuff it drives a lot better.
Although I will have them do the recall as well.
I know I just messed mine up anyway. Kind of hard not to off-road it out here and be carefull 100% of the time.
They were buying, so its all good.

Chad

Anonymous
Unregistered

#728572 - 05/18/05 01:14 PM

Do they mean like the upper ball joints? If so, for some reason I just looked under there a day ago and saw all this kind of grease coming out of both the ball joints. Truck has almost 24K miles on it. Im going to call them during lunch to find out and see if they can get me in soon. Other than that, the truck is mechanically fine. Although the interior is getting real dirty, what does that "interior protection plan" cover?

MikesDoubleCab
Wheeler

Reged: 05/04/04
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
      #728892 - 05/19/05 02:09 AM

guess i got lucky on this one... i have 95,000 miles on my 01 and never had probs with my steering or ball joints... of course, now that i typed this, something will happen, huh? hahaha

--------------------
01 Taco Double Cab V6 Prerunner

kewlynxModerator
Toyota & Classifieds Moderator

Reged: 10/06/02
Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
      #729278 - 05/19/05 08:58 PM

It's a ball joint recall; ref THIS THREAD ; I posted a news article for reference.

--------------------
http://www.walkablecommunities.org/

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

**ubi apis- ibi salus**

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dandeman, Mark in AZ, kewlynx 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1758

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums