4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire TrailTalk Jeep Forums

More Jeep on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Jeep Section | 4x4Wire Jeep Tech Section
4x4Wire TrailTalk Jeep Forums: Jeep Talk | Jeep Tech

Jeep Forums >> Jeep Tech

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jeep CJ TF999 Auto trans with Dana 300 Transfer case
      #649422 - 12/28/04 05:12 PM

I am looking to install a 1980-86 TF999 auto with a Dana 300 into my 1977 CJ5. Will a Dana 300 from a manual trans CJ bolt to a TF999, or will I need a Dana 300 specifically from an automatic? Also, will a flex plate from a 258 I6 fit my 304 V8? I will appreciate any info someone may have.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BigJim
Web Wheeler

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Central Texas
Re: Jeep CJ TF999 Auto trans with Dana 300 Transfer case [Re: ]
      #649433 - 12/28/04 05:30 PM

I wager the flex plate will NOT fit! as different engines require different exterior balances most flywheels and harmonic balancers will not interchange.
Big Jim

superdawg
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 10/13/99
Loc: Denver, Colorado
Re: Jeep CJ TF999 Auto trans with Dana 300 Transfer case [Re: BigJim]
      #649738 - 12/29/04 07:12 AM

AMC's are balanced externaly, so, a flex plate from a 360 won't work on a 304, nor will a 258 work on any v8.

The good news is, everything you need is available.

As far as what will bolt to what.. Advance Adapters catalog is very good at helping out with that.

If that does not help you can call Mitch at RMH 303-808-1268 he'll know and he is direct with AA also.

SD
Josh

NCBBA2358
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Mid-town Richmond, VA
      #649747 - 12/29/04 08:32 AM

I know that I am a little partial to 4WD Hardware, but they area also a good source for parts. I'd imagine they have any adapters that you are looking for. You can find them on line at 4wd.com and then when you get tired of looking at their site, just call them (I'm quite sure they have their number on just about every page on their site) and talk to a tech dude or dudette. They are normally quite eager to help you.

Let us know what you find/figure out.

Happy Jeeping!

--------------------
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ, carpet, tires, trailer hitch. yea....

Anonymous
Unregistered

#649935 - 12/29/04 02:53 PM

No adapters are needed here. All Jeep Dana 300 have the same 23 spline input shaft, whether manual or automatic.

As has been said, you need a flexplate specifically for the 304 because of the external balance. I don't believe that there were any Jeep applications where the 304 had a Torqueflite tranny behind it, but there are several AMC car applications which did use it. I'm sure you could find an early 70's Matador for example which did use the 304 and a TF727. The flexplate would work fine in your situation and should be available from any auto parts store or tranny shop.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#650021 - 12/29/04 05:17 PM

Thanks for all the info. I have found the parts I need. The next question is, should I rotate the transfer case for more ground clearance? I have heard that I will need to lift the body at least one inch. Is this a good modification, or should I not waist my time?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#650330 - 12/30/04 12:40 AM

With one of the clocking kits you generally have three options for clocking. The only position (usually) where a body lift is required is the highest position.

Whether or not it's worth it depends on your situation. Are you dragging the skidplate now?? If not, will your choice of trails change in the future that it becomes an issue?? In other words, only you can answer that question especially with the info (or lack of) you've provided. Remember that clocking the tcase does nothing if you don't also modify the existing tcase skidplate for the new clearance or fabricate a new one.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  KF6ZPL 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 877

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums