4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Toyota Forums
More Toyota on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Toyota Section | Toyota FAQ | Toyota Tech
Toyota Forums: Early Toyota Trucks | 4Runner, FJ Crusier and SUV | T100 and Tundra | Tacoma | Toyota Archives

Toyota Forums >> Toyota 4Runner, FJ Cruiser & SUV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Part-Time 4WD Conversion - worth it?
      #529153 - 05/27/04 09:10 PM

I'm thinking of buying a 1991-1997 Land Cruiser but hate the MPG. I've read that converting one to a part-time 4WD can increase gas milage. Has anyone done this? Any real-world examples? What kind of MPG did you end up with?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Part-Time 4WD Conversion - worth it? [Re: ]
      #529389 - 05/28/04 02:39 AM

It'll probably depend on which model 1991-1997 you end up getting. I've heard that on stricly highway trips it's gotten as good as 16-17 mpg (on a 93-97 I think). Probably be close but a less on a 91-92 model.

You might want to check on www.ih8mud.com. A few of those guys either have done it or gone the manual hubs in front w/driveshaft removed.

taconut
Getting the Wheeling Fever

Reged: 05/13/02
Loc: Denver, CO
      #529564 - 05/28/04 11:28 AM

I have heard that this is possible on a FJ80 (91-92) and I think there are even "kits" available to do this. I have also heard that it is not possible to do this on a FZJ80 (93-97). While not possible is probably not entirely accurate, you would probably have to swap out the transfer case for a part time one. Either way though, I doubt that you would ever recoup the cost of conversion through gas savings. I have a 89 FJ62, same engine and transmission as a FJ80 but it is lighter and part time 4wd and I average around 12 mpg -- I doubt that a full time 4wd heavier FJ80 gets much worse.

My suggestion is that if you can't live with the gas mileage of a stock 80 series, you should probably buy something else, sorry.

--------------------
Kevin
1989 FJ62

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Part-Time 4WD Conversion - worth it? [Re: taconut]
      #529656 - 05/28/04 02:00 PM

There are "kits" available from for all FJ80's (both FJ80s and FJZ80s) to convert to part-time 4wd. You DO NOT have to swap out the transfer case to convert to part time 4wd with the "kits".

As I said a couple of the guys who have done a "conversion" of types (the manual hubs and removal of front drive shaft when not off-roading) have gotten as high as 17.8, up from an average of about 12. If you consider 15 mpg as an average and $2.25 as an average for the price of gas, that's a savings of nearly $400 over a year (for 10k miles and over $450 for 12.5k miles).

Aisin manual hubs are somewhere between $50-80/set. . . it's a significant savings especially with the price of gas nowadays. Over a few years, that's quite a bit of money. Even if you went the kit route, you'd still start saving money after the first year (kit is about $500).

Anonymous
Unregistered

#529685 - 05/28/04 02:27 PM

Not quite correct. There is no conversion kit from a viscous transfer case (HF2AV) from a fzj80 to part time. The kit is for a non-ABS vehicle with HF2A transfer case, which generally means '91 and '92.

If you want to convert an ABS fzj80 to part time, swap to a non-viscous transfer case, make the conversion to part time, install manual hubs, and install the center diff lock switch. Not an economical modification IMO.

Edit:
Saving 5MPG due to a part-time conversion is not realistic. Those comments were from one highway trip. IMO you would net about 2MPG average.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#529798 - 05/28/04 05:52 PM

I stand corrected on the "kit" comment, but I stand by my other statements. I was reading about the kit on Marks4wd and forgot about the whole Australia thing.

I didn't say he would get 17.8, I said someone got as high as that. I used a gain of 3mpg, NOT 5MPG , (re-read my post) to figure out the savings. I was also just pointing out an economical way to get to part-time 4WD, a way that could net you some decent savings easily. I realize that's not the best way, but pointing out it's possible, trying to give some options rather than just saying NO it's not worth it. Is that alright or am I doing something wrong by doing this?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dandeman, kewlynx, Adam F 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3503

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums