4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Kia Forums
4x4Wire TrailTalk Kia Forums: Kia Talk | Kia Sportage and Sorento Tech

Kia Forums >> Kia Sportage & Sorento Tech

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
bdmitchell
Need a Spot

Reged: 10/24/09
Loc: Michigan
1999 Kia Sportage Problems - Won't start - 5 diff codes
      #1182884 - 10/24/09 06:04 PM

Yesterday my Kia Died.

Was driving down the highway, doing 75 and suddenly it lost all power and stalled out on the side of the road.

It will turn over, but will not start, almost like it's choking.

Prior to that, over the last few months, it has been losing power and taking forever to get up to speed.

It's giving me the following codes
P0171
P0102
P0561
P0135
P0343

I've taken apart the MAF sensor and am going to clean the connections there as well as a few of the other electrical connections.

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what my next course of action should be.

Anyone have any ideas? thanks in advance

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
londart
Wheeler

Reged: 02/10/09
Loc: Idaho
Re: 1999 Kia Sportage Problems - Won't start - 5 diff codes [Re: bdmitchell]
      #1182893 - 10/24/09 08:56 PM

not sure about the codes but the symptoms sound like a cat was going bad and is now plugged

--------------------
Lonnie
Auto Parts Professional
95 sportage sold but not forgotten

Axe ManModerator
Kia Moderator Emeritus

Reged: 03/02/02
Loc: Highland, NY
      #1182894 - 10/24/09 09:23 PM

Before I give any advice I'm going to give you a strong admonishment. Either take it or leave it.

Rant mode on....

How many months/years have you been driving around with the CEL on? Yea, that little yellow light on the dash. Because it is very obvious it's been a while. There's no way all those codes would pop up at once. Now it's come back to bite you big time. Hopefully lesson learned.

Rant mode off....

OK, help...

P0102: Mass airflow sensor low/high input. Very common problem. Usually caused by the electrical connector to the MAS. Will not cause a no start. Search this forum for the fix.

P0135: Front O2 sensor heater malfunction. Usually caused by a bad O2 sensor. Not a critical issue at this point and will not cause a no start.

P0171: System too lean. Probably being caused by the P0102 MAS problem. Fix the MAS issue and this code will probably go away.

P0343: Camshaft position sensor high input. This MIGHT cause a no start. The cam position sensor is on the rear of the head on the exhaust side. Check the electrical connector. Could be a bad sensor.

P0561: System Voltage Unstable. This will DEFINITELY cause a no start. ECU has detected unstable input voltage. It could be the battery, the alternator, or a fuse providing B+ voltage to the ECU has blown. Check ALL fuses, both in the fuse box in the engine compartment, and fuses under driver's side dash. And check all grounds especially by the battery tray.

Once you get it running fix all the other issues.

--------------------
1998 Sportage - Gone.
2004 Honda Civic Coupe.
2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara - She got it.

bdmitchell
Need a Spot

Re: 1999 Kia Sportage Problems - Won't start - 5 diff codes [Re: Axe Man]
      #1182929 - 10/25/09 10:17 AM

At this point, we have removed the rear Catalytic converter, and still no help.

Have cleaned the MAF sensor, not the issue either, but hopefully will clear the code for that when and if we get it started again.

Also have removed the fuel filter and going to replace that.

It appears that the fuel pump may not be working. Looks like I can get to that via an access panel on the inside of the car. Does anyone know where that panel is???

P.S. - Thanks for the short rant. In truth, I gave $500 for this car 5 years ago and I only use it to drive to and from work. Have tried to keep the costs down with it, so even though the CEL has been on for a while, I've ignored it as long as it still runs each morning. Lesson learned.

Edited by bdmitchell (10/25/09 10:30 AM)

bdmitchell
Need a Spot

#1182931 - 10/25/09 10:28 AM

OK, found the access panel. Had to tilt the back seat forward a bit and remove a few screws.

I've removed the fuel filter and when I turn the key, no gas comes out the line.

So, I've put power to the fuel pump directly and it is getting power, but still no gas coming out of the line.

Thinking now it might be the fuel pump, going to the parts store in a bit to pick up a new one.

Everet
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 08/10/06
Loc: Silicon Valley, CA
      #1182947 - 10/25/09 03:37 PM

Remember, the gas line has another fuel filter under the battery.
As long as your changing stuff, that should be done every 50K I think, but you need to buy the plastic tools to disconnect the ends.
Everet

--------------------
WWW.UPYOURKIA.COM White 96,4x4, man.hubs,K&N filter,3row rad, twin 16" fans, 3" body lift, 4" UPYOURKIA LIFT KIT,265/75 16 TreadWrights on DC2 wheels,140 amp alt. dual batts. 2000 Sporty 2 door

bdmitchell
Need a Spot

Re: 1999 Kia Sportage Problems - Won't start - 5 diff codes [Re: Everet]
      #1183071 - 10/26/09 04:37 PM

OK, got the fuel pump replaced.

New Fuel filter in the engine.

Discovered a blown fuse, replaced that as well.

It started, but still runs like crap.

Cleared all the codes and now I'm getting the code for the camshaft positioning sensor.

On my way to get that part and see if I can get this all wrapped up.

Anyone know where that sensor is in the engine. All I have been able to find out is that its on the left side, top of the engine.

Hydra747
Roll Me Over

Reged: 06/29/06
Loc: South Texas
Re: 1999 Kia Sportage Problems - Won't start - 5 diff codes [Re: Axe Man]
      #1183077 - 10/26/09 04:52 PM

Quote:

P0343: Camshaft position sensor high input. This MIGHT cause a no start. The cam position sensor is on the rear of the head on the exhaust side. Check the electrical connector. Could be a bad sensor.

Also....What Fuse was shot?

--------------------
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Kia Sportage: When I grow up, I want to be a "HUMMER"

bdmitchell
Need a Spot

Re: 1999 Kia Sportage Problems - Won't start - 5 diff codes [Re: Hydra747]
      #1183093 - 10/26/09 06:36 PM

The 15A main fuse under the hood.

Still having trouble finding the cam sensor. Think we've got it, but it's a PITA to get to.

Axe ManModerator
Kia Moderator Emeritus

Reged: 03/02/02
Loc: Highland, NY
      #1183260 - 10/27/09 05:21 PM

Quote:

The 15A main fuse under the hood.

Still having trouble finding the cam sensor. Think we've got it, but it's a PITA to get to.

Yep, it's buried on the back of the head and not easy to get to. If a new sensor doesn't fix it send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I can provide some additional diagnostic data.

--------------------
1998 Sportage - Gone.
2004 Honda Civic Coupe.
2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara - She got it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Axe Man, DamKia, DRX350 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6674

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums