4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

Isuzu TrailTalk Forums
More Isuzu on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Isuzu Section | 4x4Wire Isuzu Tech
Isuzu Forums: Isuzu 4x4 and SUV Talk | Isuzu 4x4 and SUV Tech | Isuzu Diesel

Isuzu Forums >> Isuzu 4x4 & SUV Tech

Pages: 1
rognik39
Need a Spot

Reged: 01/02/08
Loc: australia
Crankshaft Holder
      #1164037 - 06/26/09 04:49 AM

Rodeo V6 3.2l

Hi All

Can anyone advise of an alternate tool or method to remove a crankshaft pulley.

GM instructions are to use a crankshaft holder 5-8840-0133-0 which is a Kent Moore Pulley Holder J-8614-01

Need info for the morning

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
boritz
Getting the Wheeling Fever

Reged: 05/26/07
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Crankshaft Holder [Re: rognik39]
      #1164038 - 06/26/09 05:05 AM

On my 1997 Isuzu 3.2V6 there are 2 threaded holes near the outer rim of the pulley. I made-up a steel bar to lever against bolts screwed into those. Links to pics below.

Some folks use the starter to 'crack' the retaining bolt loose.

If you have a manual trans you may also find that it will hold the crank for you with the park-brake on.

Here's a link someone hosted to download my timing-belt DIY PDF for the 3.2V6 SOHC

http://www.datazap.net/sites/Australia4W...r_Pump_rev2.pdf

Original post was here: http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php?showtopic=7463

For folks with DOHC motors - very useful info here: http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=16972

--------------------
Aussie 1997 3.2V6 SOHC 6VD1 Holden Jackaroo SE (Isuzu Trooper/Bighorn/Monterey) 5-speed manual, rear LSD, front Lokka (manual free-wheel hubs).

rognik39
Need a Spot

Reged: 01/02/08
Loc: australia
Re: Crankshaft Holder [Re: boritz]
      #1164153 - 06/26/09 07:48 PM

Hi

Can anyone confirm that the cranshaft bolt is right or left hand thread as I am assuming a right hand thread and it dont budge!

thanks

boritz
Getting the Wheeling Fever

Reged: 05/26/07
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #1164167 - 06/26/09 09:03 PM

Definately right-hand thread.

Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey!

24mm (15/16" AF)

123 lb-ft.

--------------------
Aussie 1997 3.2V6 SOHC 6VD1 Holden Jackaroo SE (Isuzu Trooper/Bighorn/Monterey) 5-speed manual, rear LSD, front Lokka (manual free-wheel hubs).

bamashooter
Wheeler

Reged: 04/19/08
Loc: Alabama USA
      #1164172 - 06/26/09 09:23 PM

If you have access to and room for an impact wrench, it should remove the crank bolt with ease. I fought and fought with mine weeks ago. My radiator, fan, etc were removed. I dropped the gun down there and that bolt spun out so easily I thought something had gone awry. No problems; just a clean, easy removal. I've known folks who used the "bump the starter" method with great success also.

Chad Hunter
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 01/02/00
Loc: Highland,UT,USA
      #1164737 - 06/30/09 08:06 PM

Round up a 1/2" impact gun, it makes the job so very much more enjoyable. I like to pull the rad, just to get it out of the way, a 1/2" impact gun and socket will just fit in the space. Its right hand thread and it will be an absolute bear to brake free.

--------------------
1987 trooper LS.'94 3.2, SAS,35's , lots of dents and rust. Now, improved, with more dents.
1995 trooper LS. Wife won't let me improve this one.
1996 trooper. I'll need something to modify when the '87 finally rusts away.

AIR AMIGO
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 01/02/00
Loc: Sunnyside, WA
      #1164783 - 07/01/09 04:18 AM

I just rebuilt the top of my motor the other day, and I have two pieces of advice:
1) Buy one of those heavy duty strap wrenches. Slip the loop over the crankshaft pulley, and have 1 person hold it tight with the use of a cheater bar. I used a hi-lift cheater bar, which I sliped over the end of the heavy duty strap wrench. It worked like a charm!
2) Go to Autozone and buy a Chrylser Harmonic Balancer Puller. This awesome tool allows you to grip onto the belt riding surface of the harmonic balancer, to pull the harmonic balancer off. This eliminates the need to use the treaded holes for pulling the balancer off. It cost me $70, but it was the quickest harmonic balancer removal job I'v ever done.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Keith J.
www.myspace.com/keith771
AIR AMIGO!
AirAmigo@hotmail.com
Pacific NW Isuzu Off-Roaders
Timber Tamers #172
Sunnyside Fire Department IAFF Local 3542

Edited by AIR AMIGO (07/01/09 04:19 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  jezeric, houlster, Jim_Paget, mlclark, strawmyers 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3310

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums