4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Mitsubishi Trail Talk Forums

More Mitsubishi on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Mitsubishi Section | Mitsubishi Tech
4x4Wire TrailTalk Mitsubishi Forums: Mitsubishi 4x4 and SUV Tech | Mitsubishi Diesels | Mitsubishi Archives

Mitsubishi Forums >> Mitsubishi Diesels

Pages: 1
PHILModerator
Mitsubishi Section Editor and Moderator

Reged: 01/09/00
Loc: Airdrie, Alberta
Started the automatically-shifting-trans fluid change (V4AW3)
      #1162057 - 06/13/09 06:13 PM

Still not sure on this whole auto thing, but the truck is now pushing 96k kms, so I thought it might be time to change the funny red magic syrup before I throw some summertime towing (in the mountains) at the poor thing...

Fluid type? Well, this one is controversial...LOL. Some propose that mitu's auto fluid is some sort of mysterious elixir, and if not used you can say goodbye to your transmission. Others say Dexron II is fine, and of course there are proponents for synth fluid, as well as naysayers, etc...

The manual (for the 3.5, which also uses the V4AW3), says DexII or equivalent, and the drain plug says DexII.

But of course you can't get Dex II at most places anymore. It has been superseded by DIII, etc. They are currently on Dex 5 or 6, and its just getting silly. After consultation with my parts guy, I went with a Shell DexIII. I'm using synth Rotella engine oil, and its been good, so why not go yellow all 'round? Err... I mean red.

Got the trans up to temp, shut off the rattler, and pulled the drain plug on the transmission sump, (14mm socket). About 5L came out, and then I refilled through the dipstick hole using a pour spout screwed onto the 4L jug of new fluid. Added a little more, got it up to temp again, rechecked, added a little more, took it for a drive, and rechecked again. In a few days I'll repeat the process again. Might even do it a third time?

What came out had a slight brown tinge to it, compared to the new stuff. Shifting hasn't been quite as crisp lately as when I first got it, esp off the line, but scientific-seat-of-the-pants-analysis says the shifting has improved with the fluid change. We'll see how it is after another change.

All in all, if you don't mind changing it a few times to get it all out, its a pretty easy job (despite having to add fluid through the dipstick tube) to change your own fluid this way. I want to keep this mystical piece of technology happy so it will continue to do its magic, while I sit back with one hand on the wheel and continue to reach for a non-existent clutch and shifter.

--------------------
93 Pajero 2800 turbo diesel: "Ol'Betsy #5"
2003 Montero XLS: Ol'Betsy #6

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
redbull
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 04/28/06
Re: Started the automatically-shifting-trans fluid change (V4AW3) [Re: PHIL]
      #1162092 - 06/14/09 01:40 AM

Quote:

... while I sit back with one hand on the wheel and continue to reach for a non-existent clutch and shifter.

Hehe, How many times have you jammed the brakes to the floor with your left foot?

--------------------
1991 Mitsubishi Pajero XP TD LWB family hauler.

87Montero
Trail Leader

Reged: 11/19/03
Loc: Greenville, SC
Re: Started the automatically-shifting-trans fluid change (V4AW3) [Re: PHIL]
      #1162409 - 06/16/09 02:55 PM

Phil, didn't you put chrysler stuff in your old slushbox?

I just don't trust synthetics in these trucks.

--------------------
1999 Mitsu Montero - Crappy Weather
1992 Isuzu Pickup - Zombie Apocalypse
2008 Saturn Sky Redline - Nice Weather

PHILModerator

Re: Started the automatically-shifting-trans fluid change (V4AW3) [Re: 87Montero]
      #1162446 - 06/16/09 07:37 PM

I used "dino" Shell ATF, specced for dexII, dex III and Chrysler transmissions.

I did use the Chryco stuff in BetsyIII (for the brief time I had her), but they don't seem to stock it anywhere anymore. Agreed on the synth in the trans: I'm still a little paranoid about it myself, which is why I got dino stuff for it.

--------------------

off-roader
Mitsubishi Forum Moderator

Reged: 01/16/00
Loc: Bay Area, CA
Re: Started the automatically-shifting-trans fluid change (V4AW3) [Re: redbull]
      #1162585 - 06/17/09 01:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

... while I sit back with one hand on the wheel and continue to reach for a non-existent clutch and shifter.

Hehe, How many times have you jammed the brakes to the floor with your left foot?

I do that every time I drive my Audi and switch back to either of my Montero's.

--------------------
Off Roader
96SR (3.15:1 xcase, 35's)
96SR Build Up Thread
Old web page
Old web page

PHILModerator

Re: Started the automatically-shifting-trans fluid change (V4AW3) [Re: off-roader]
      #1166243 - 07/11/09 12:35 PM

Well, I've done two fluid changes since this post, but I switched to another type of fluid: I found "Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle" fluid. This stuff is conventional oil, but seems to be more specifically formulated to meet our trans' requirements.

Here's what the manufacturer claims, in terms of specs...

* Recommended for use in vehicles that require:
o Honda, Acura — ATF–Z1 (except in CVTs)
o Toyota, Lexus — Type T, T–III, T–IV
o Nissan, Infiniti — Matic–D, Matic–J
o BMW — LA2634, LT71141
o Mitsubishi — Diamond SP–II, SP–III
o Hyundai — SP–II, SP–III
o Volvo

I've put in 8L so far, and I *may* do another change before I call it good. I also still need to put in a tranny temp gauge.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LandRaider, PHIL 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1199

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums