4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

Isuzu TrailTalk Forums
More Isuzu on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Isuzu Section | 4x4Wire Isuzu Tech
Isuzu Forums: Isuzu 4x4 and SUV Talk | Isuzu 4x4 and SUV Tech | Isuzu Diesel

Isuzu Forums >> Isuzu 4x4 & SUV Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
TresMon
Wheeler

Reged: 08/26/07
Loc: Knox, TN
Should I get a Trooper? Newbie urgent questions...
      #1086355 - 03/19/08 07:59 PM

So The tranny in my Montero blew last week. The tranny had been built 7 months ago. The motor has low power AND low MPG.

I'm not going to take a chance on another $1000 fix in 7 more months. I will have a new baby to provide for in three months, have started a new job too. I must get my transportation smoothed out!

So... Trooper questions:

Any issues to beware of ("glass" Tranny's???)
I only have about $3500 to spend so were talking onlder models.

Is it possible to get a diesel without importing?
WHat is the best motor?

What kind of mpg?

any power to pass?

Are lockers/ LSd's availible?

Thanks!!

Any insiders info would be very highly appreciated prior to my purchasing one!

Tres

--------------------

Tres (John 14:6)
(please overlook my dislexia. It's even worse when I'm tired)

Black 87' Raider
2.6L
5 Speed
Stock

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jezericModerator
Isuzu Moderator

Reged: 05/24/02
Loc: NW Ohio
Re: Should I get a Trooper? Newbie urgent questions... [Re: TresMon]
      #1086381 - 03/19/08 09:17 PM

Welcome to the Isuzu side Tres. There's a lot of Trooper folks running around who can probably give you more complete feedback on their experiences, but I can offer some generalities.

For the money you're talking, you'll probably be looking at either a later first generation Trooper (89-91 or so) or an early second generation Troop (92-96ish) depending on location, mileage, and other good stuff like that.

With the first gens, you have either a 2.6L Isuzu-built I4, or a 2.8L GM V6. Generally, the two are pretty comparable in performance overall. The 2.6 has some power options, while the 2.8 is a favorite for a 3.4L transplant. With this, you either get a GM sourced autobox, or an Aisin manual. It's all in what flavor you like. Of course, you also get a brick on wheels, so the usual aerodynamic penalties of such a thing come into play (mpg, wind, etc.).

With the second gens (my personal suggestion), you're looking at basically the same transmission options, but the engine switches to an Isuzu 3.2L V6 in either SOHC or DOHC flavors. It's a decent powerplant, I have one in my Rodeo, but again you're dealing with the aerodynamics of a rounded brick, so mpg is still going to suffer. The second gens have a lot more going for them in terms of creature comforts and refinement, but they're still built really solidly. Of course, that comes with a weight penalty, so see the mpg commentary above.

Things to watch for:
-2.6L 4s are susceptible to blown head gaskets/warped heads if overheated. The bottom end is very, very tough, but it's something to keep in mind if you go for the older trucks.
-3.2L 6s can have some issues with small oil leaks in some years and lifter tap. Each are readily dealt with, but again worth keeping in mind. These engines are also known for being misdiagnosed with rod knock when it's really just the timing belt tensioner, which is a whole lot less severe an issue.

That's just a glancing shot, but hopefully it'll give you something to start with, and others will chime in soon, I'm sure.

James

--------------------
Happiness is building a Lego catapult with your daughter to besiege the living room couch.

TrailMystic
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 09/16/02
Loc: Richmond, VA
      #1086387 - 03/19/08 10:06 PM

A lot is available for the Troopers. Check out Matt Brown's web site at Indy4X. I wouldn't mind adding a 1st gen Trooper to my collection of vehicles.

Pete

--------------------
'01 Rodeo Sport, 5 Speed Softie, Indy 4X rocker bars, OME 912's, Rancho 9000X's, Superwinch hubs, custom tube bumper with Warn 9000i , Flowmaster 50, TeraLow t-case gears, ARB front & rear lockers, TrXus MT's, Sway bar disconnects

BigSwede
Roll Me Over

Reged: 06/12/00
Loc: Minnetonka, Minnesota
      #1086484 - 03/20/08 09:47 AM

My answers are aimed toward 2nd gen (92+) Troopers, which I am most familiar with, but here are my thoughts:

Is it possible to get a diesel without importing?
The only US diesels were some mid 80 first gens. They are durable but low on horsepower (like...47 ), not strong enough for going much over 60 mph. Probably not what you are looking for.

WHat is the best motor?
2nd gen motors 92-97 are going to all be Isuzu 3.2L, either SOHC or DOHC, ranging from 175 to 190 hp. I wouldn't be afraid of either, they are almost the same engine. The SOHC can have hydraulic lifter tap that makes it sound like a diesel (This can be handy for negotiating a sale price downward ) but isn't harmful, just annoying.

What kind of mpg?
Troopers are heavy trucks (probably like Monteros), with fully boxed frames, skid plates, etc. So mpg is not their strong suit. You are looking at mid teens city, upper teens highway. Also keep in mind that a 2nd gen Trooper has more cargo volume than a similar vintage Durango (90 cubic feet vs. 88).

any power to pass?
It is adequate...not a rocket but not bad at all.

Are lockers/ LSd's availible?
Many 2nd gen Trooper came with factory LSD rears, look for G80 code on the firewall option plate. Currently there are Aussie lockers available from Independent4x, and ARBs. That's it.

Regearing options are quite limited, a 92-97 Trooper will have 4.56 gears, 4.77s are available though somewhat scarce. There was a run of 5.38 aftermarket gears but front axle gears are rare as hen's teeth. Once in a while they come up for sale but go quickly. There are some rear 5.38 gears left.

The Isuzu running gear is pretty tough, I have been wheeling with basically stock axles (regeared) without issue for several years.

Upgrades to a daily driver for wheeling are pretty easy and cheap: install OME coils and adjust the front torsion bars, 265/75 or 285/75 tires, rocker protection and upgraded tie rods and you are good for a lot of fun.

Any more questions? Let us know...

--------------------
Steve Carlson - 95 Trooper LS expo rig
Serenity now!

sassee
Need a Spot

Reged: 03/14/07
Loc: Walterboro SC
Re: Should I get a Trooper? Newbie urgent questions... [Re: BigSwede]
      #1086547 - 03/20/08 03:09 PM

For the $$$ you want to spend, you could find a decent 1st or 2 gen trooper, although they will probably have a lot of miles on them. Neither shine in the MPG Category (although my 1st gen with a 2.6 and automatic gets about 23 on my daily commute). The 2nd gens with a 3.2 have better performance. (My 2.6 has to get a head-start to pass someone) If you are looking to buy a vehicle AND do some mods for $3500, go find a 1st gen! You can usually pick them up for $1500 or so. 31" or 32" tires/wheels/lift-kit/shocks for another $1000 and you still have some change left-over.

I'm surprised you're having trouble with the Monty. My daughters 97 has 161,000 miles on it and runs as strong now as it ever has. Only issue with it is the blasted "o" rings in back of the heads and it needs valve-stem seals. That is a Saturday project coming up real soon.

--------------------
89 Trooper (Red) , 2.6 with Automatic, It's got accessories!
89 Trooper (Blackie), 2.6 with MUA5. It also has accessories!
98 Acura SLX - Youngest daughter's car - TOTALED on Fathers Day. Stay tuned for the rebuild

Chad Hunter
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 01/02/00
Loc: Highland,UT,USA
Re: Should I get a Trooper? Newbie urgent questions... [Re: sassee]
      #1086574 - 03/20/08 07:43 PM

my 2 cents.
Yes get a trooper!

Don't even think about a first gen trooper.
The second gen troopers are better on every point.
'92 troopers are about 3" wider than first gens, in mid '95 they gained another 3". I would look for a '92 and up trooper, if you can find a '95+ that has the fender flairs, thats how you know its the wider track, pick it up.
The wider track width is all done with wider a-arms and that translates into more wheel travel, and a 3" t-bar crank puts less angle on the steering and cv's.

--------------------
1987 trooper LS.'94 3.2, SAS,35's , lots of dents and rust. Now, improved, with more dents.
1995 trooper LS. Wife won't let me improve this one.
1996 trooper. I'll need something to modify when the '87 finally rusts away.

BigSwede
Roll Me Over

Reged: 06/12/00
Loc: Minnetonka, Minnesota
Re: Should I get a Trooper? Newbie urgent questions... [Re: Chad Hunter]
      #1086576 - 03/20/08 07:48 PM

True...or by replacing 4 easy parts you can retrofit a 92-94 Trooper with the wider stance, like I did...

--------------------
Steve Carlson - 95 Trooper LS expo rig
Serenity now!

Chad Hunter
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 01/02/00
Loc: Highland,UT,USA
Re: Should I get a Trooper? Newbie urgent questions... [Re: BigSwede]
      #1086733 - 03/21/08 04:21 PM

Quote:

True...or by replacing 4 easy parts you can retrofit a 92-94 Trooper with the wider stance, like I did...

It seems like you would need 2 lower ball joints, 2 upper a-arms, two tie rods, 2 half shafts, and an entire rear axle.

I agree entirely, though. Add lower a-arms to these same parts pluse some minor fabrication will allow you to do this on the first gen troopers and rodeos as well.
My desert car, based on a '89 trooper runs the late model front end including the longer t-bars. It makes an amazing difference in wheel travel, and quality of travel.

--------------------
1987 trooper LS.'94 3.2, SAS,35's , lots of dents and rust. Now, improved, with more dents.
1995 trooper LS. Wife won't let me improve this one.
1996 trooper. I'll need something to modify when the '87 finally rusts away.

TresMon
Wheeler

Re: Should I get a Trooper? Newbie urgent questions... [Re: Chad Hunter]
      #1086759 - 03/21/08 06:59 PM

Thanks for the info Guys! I'll be looking for a GenII.

(My old gen I monty has recurrent problems, yes the newer unaffordable ones are nice)

Tresb

--------------------

Black 87' Raider
2.6L
5 Speed
Stock

TresMon
Wheeler

#1086773 - 03/21/08 08:05 PM

Ive checked E-bay And Autotrader.com - anyone else know a place to shop for a trooper?

--------------------

Black 87' Raider
2.6L
5 Speed
Stock

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  jezeric, Jim_Paget, houlster, mlclark, strawmyers 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1729

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums