4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Toyota Forums
More Toyota on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Toyota Section | Toyota FAQ | Toyota Tech
Toyota Forums: Early Toyota Trucks | 4Runner, FJ Crusier and SUV | T100 and Tundra | Tacoma | Toyota Archives

Toyota Forums >> Early Toyota Trucks

Pages: 1
haulie
Getting the Wheeling Fever

Reged: 06/24/07
air/fuel ratio gage in my 22r carbed engine?
      #1055026 - 11/20/07 02:04 AM

I bought a 3 gage windshield pillar post for my '84 truck. Two of the gages will be the usual suspects, water temp and oil pressure.

I'm considering putting a fuel injection exhaust manifold with the stock screw in O2 sensor on the engine I'm building. The engine I've got is a "bowtie block", i.e., 85 and later. I'm looking at an autometer air/fuel narrow ratio gage. see here I'm thinking that it could be a useful tuning tool.

Anyone done this? Would it be useful, or just an instrument of self torture?

Any other ideas on what to fill the third hole with? Ammeter, oil temp, cylinder head temp?

Thanks

Edited by haulie (11/20/07 10:50 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
fourwd1
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 02/16/01
Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Re: air/fuel ratio gage in my 22r carbed engine? [Re: haulie]
      #1055396 - 11/21/07 09:41 AM

Seems like a waste of $, there isn't a whole lot of tuning to be done with the carb. To me a ammeter or vacuum gauge would be more useful, and cheaper.

just my .02

--------------------
- seen in FOUR WHEELER mag July 2006 & OFF-ROAD mag Feb 2007 -
'84 4Runner ARBed 5.29s F&R,4.7 & 2.28 t-cases,hy-steer,BudBuilt skid,30spl Longs,36" TSLs,Chevys

'83 P/U, Buick 231 V6,Holley 4 bbl,Weiand intake,Downey headers,TH350 w/700R4 gearset

dcg9381
Rock Warrior

Reged: 10/05/00
Loc: Austin,TX
Re: air/fuel ratio gage in my 22r carbed engine? [Re: fourwd1]
      #1055400 - 11/21/07 09:49 AM

I like 'em.
Just so you understand - a narrow band really has three positions: rich, stoich, and lean. That's all it's really going to tell you. Peak power is around 13.3-13.8 AFR, which is rich... I find them to be reasonably useful tools when tuning if you're not school.

--------------------
22REturbo.net

1988 4Runner
22RTE core, turbocharged, megasquirted...

Greg_Canada
Roll Me Over

Reged: 08/25/03
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: air/fuel ratio gage in my 22r carbed engine? [Re: dcg9381]
      #1055410 - 11/21/07 10:07 AM

A wideband o2 sensor would be nice but you probably dont want to spend that kind of money.
I'd install a vacuum gauge...

--------------------
89 4Runner
3" BL, M/T locks, 33"bfg mt, bilstein, Kayline, tubebumper, toyotafiberglass panels
TBI: Elocker,3.4 w/ORS,b+b,S2Sstg2cams,arias pistons,P+P intake,TRDs/c,URDpullies+7th,downey headers,MAPECU2,WEGO WB, SupraMAF,walboro255,stg4clutch, EPaOo2 sim

haulie
Getting the Wheeling Fever

Reged: 06/24/07
Re: air/fuel ratio gage in my 22r carbed engine? [Re: Greg_Canada]
      #1055438 - 11/21/07 10:50 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm not too familiar with the vacuum gage concept. What is telling me and why is it useful?

Greg_Canada
Roll Me Over

Reged: 08/25/03
Loc: Toronto, Canada
      #1055450 - 11/21/07 11:36 AM

Here's a 4crawler link, get used to them (lol)
Gauge pod

--------------------
89 4Runner
3" BL, M/T locks, 33"bfg mt, bilstein, Kayline, tubebumper, toyotafiberglass panels
TBI: Elocker,3.4 w/ORS,b+b,S2Sstg2cams,arias pistons,P+P intake,TRDs/c,URDpullies+7th,downey headers,MAPECU2,WEGO WB, SupraMAF,walboro255,stg4clutch, EPaOo2 sim

4CrawlerModerator
Toyota 4-Wheeling Forum Moderator

Reged: 01/12/00
Loc: N. California. USA
      #1056085 - 11/23/07 11:45 PM

A quick web search will find lots of vacuum gauge information:
http://www.centuryperformance.com/vacuum.asp

Never had an A/F meter on a carbed engine but do have one on my 22RE. I find it rather handy for monitoring engine operation and finding optimal operating conditions. For example nice to find out if the ECU is running in open or closed loop mode in different gears up a grade.

I have had vacuum gauges on most every vehicle I have owned over the years. Good thing to check for a feeling of how hard the engine is working and if you have any extra power in reserve, like when pulling out to pass someone. If the gauge is down under 5" Hg, not much is going to happen when you mash the gas pedal down. The vacuum readings (and engine power) will vary with elevation and the gauge can help you see that power drop-off and you can adjust your driving accordingly.

--------------------
[email protected]
[email protected]
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - 4x4Wire discount code

Snowtoy
Roll Me Over

Reged: 04/10/02
Loc: Grass Valley, CA
Re: air/fuel ratio gage in my 22r carbed engine? [Re: Greg_Canada]
      #1056489 - 11/26/07 03:06 AM

Quote:

A wideband o2 sensor would be nice but you probably dont want to spend that kind of money.
I'd install a vacuum gauge...

X2

The cheaper A/F gauge will only tell you if you are running rich or lean at any position, otherwise it will cycle between lean and rich in its normal operation. I imagine if the carb was running rich/lean at idle you could use the meter to tune the carb until the meter cycled between lean/rich.

I find mine usefull to keep from wasting fuel when taking off or climbing a hill and I don't need to have the throttle down, i.e., using just enough gas to accelerate w/o pegging the meter in the rich.

--------------------
More than tread lightly. Leave it like you were never there, nor anyone else.
'90 X-cab 4.88's 33 BFG AT's, rr ARB, Headers, Ignition upgrade, cold air induction.
'91 X-cab 5.29's 315's BFG MT's, rr ARB, custom bumper and flatbed

dcg9381
Rock Warrior

Reged: 10/05/00
Loc: Austin,TX
Re: air/fuel ratio gage in my 22r carbed engine? [Re: Snowtoy]
      #1057308 - 11/28/07 11:31 PM

Just to note.. a "good" wideband will run you between $175-$200, you don't need a $350-$400 unit.

The LC-1 works great and can be hooked up to a narrowband gauge (programmable output) - the narrowband guage can then give you REAL air/fuel ratio.

--------------------
22REturbo.net

1988 4Runner
22RTE core, turbocharged, megasquirted...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  4Crawler, kewlynx 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1634

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums