4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Toyota Forums
More Toyota on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Toyota Section | Toyota FAQ | Toyota Tech
Toyota Forums: Early Toyota Trucks | 4Runner, FJ Crusier and SUV | T100 and Tundra | Tacoma | Toyota Archives

Toyota Forums >> Toyota 4Runner, FJ Cruiser & SUV

Pages: 1
McKhawer
Need a Spot

Reged: 04/09/07
Vibration Problem - Toyota Prado
      #990704 - 04/09/07 09:21 AM

I have a 1997 Toyota Prado and recently have been having two problems :-

a. My prop shaft vibrates when I travel at the speed of 100 to 145kms. When I hit 150kms, the vibration stops and the car cruise like a beauty! Can anyone tell me why is the car vibrating?

b. My car also wiggles at corners. I have replaced the steering column, new under carriages and linkages and a set of new front tyres.

Has any Prado owners ever experience the problems that I am facing now?

Please Help

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kutter
Wheeler

Reged: 08/30/05
Loc: Kansas
Re: Vibration Problem - Toyota Prado [Re: McKhawer]
      #990874 - 04/09/07 06:45 PM

If you can change the vibration with more or less power that is usually drivetrain trouble such as failing U-joints. You description sounds same as mine except mine smoothed out at 70. Turned out both U-joints were toasted bad and parts were falling out of them. Funny thing is that they felt tight when I grabbed the prop shaft right up to the time I drove it onto the service lift to change them.

You can try letting on and off the gas while cruising to see if the vibration changes with power changes.

If the vibration is strictly speed related I might look at the wheel balancing first.

--------------------
1995 4Runner Limited V6 3.4 Liter 5 Speed 4x4
1995 4Runner V6 Auto 2WD

Kutter
Wheeler

Re: Vibration Problem - Toyota Prado [Re: Kutter]
      #990876 - 04/09/07 06:51 PM

Are you sure your wheel bearings are correctly tighted? I just put on some new brake discs and upon removal was startled how loose the bearing retaining nut was. I put it on to specified torque and was suprised that drives a lot more stable feeling than before. It seemed like the last guy in there may not have seated the bearing before torquing and locking the nut.

--------------------
1995 4Runner V6 Auto 2WD

McKhawer
Need a Spot

#990916 - 04/09/07 08:36 PM

Dear Kutter

Thank you for your reply.

I notice that when i ease off the trottle, the vibration seems to lessen but the funny thing is that when I hit 150kms all the vibration would disappear totally. I will check what you have suggested.

Do you have any idea why my cabin wiggles when I take corners? Its especially bad when i take right hand corners.

Kutter
Wheeler

#990932 - 04/09/07 09:35 PM

I thought the wiggle could be wheel bearings since you replaced steering column and linkages already. Just guessing.

--------------------
1995 4Runner V6 Auto 2WD

McKhawer
Need a Spot

#991044 - 04/10/07 07:29 AM

Dear Kutter

I took my car to the Mechanic today and told him about the U Joints. My Prado uses coil springs suspension therefore no U Joints.

He is going to remove my old springs tomorrow and try on new ones to see if the wriggling problem will stop

DRTDEVL
Roll Me Over

Reged: 08/14/01
Loc: HELL Paso, TX
      #991154 - 04/10/07 01:37 PM

U-Joints are in the driveshaft... The joints at the end of it where it connects to the axle and transfer case.

ALL vehicles have them... Yours may be called something else over there.

--------------------
"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living." - John F. Kennedy

New owner of an 88 Montero Sport.

McKhawer
Need a Spot

Re: Vibration Problem - Toyota Prado [Re: DRTDEVL]
      #991273 - 04/10/07 08:51 PM

Thanks DRTDEVL

I think I know what you mean. I will have them check today

McKhawer
Need a Spot

#991727 - 04/12/07 03:28 AM

Hey Guys

My Prado does not vibrate at speed from 90kms and above now. Turn out that your suggestion was right. There was a loose U Joint at the top end of my prop shaft near the gear box. Got that fixed and tested. The car goes well. Also I swap my front new tyres to the back and my wriggling problem disappears. Checked the wheel bearing along the way, they were tight and in good shape. We are replacing the ball arm and ball joint from the steering rack component. Its a little loose. Hope that wall eliminate all my problems. Will keep you guys posted.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dandeman, kewlynx, Adam F 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2822

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums