4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Toyota Forums
More Toyota on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Toyota Section | Toyota FAQ | Toyota Tech
Toyota Forums: Early Toyota Trucks | 4Runner, FJ Crusier and SUV | T100 and Tundra | Tacoma | Toyota Archives

Toyota Forums >> Early Toyota Trucks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
bkg
Roll Me Over

Reged: 02/15/01
Loc: Minnesota
Re: 3.0 to 22RE Swap questions. [Re: ]
      #814940 - 11/29/05 09:13 AM

The ~1K you will have to spend to make this a reality will buy a LOT of fuel... About 440 gallons worth.

If you insist on having a 22re, sell this truck and buy one already equipped with one... Other wise, I think we all believe you to be slightely insane for spending money for zero gain and ultimately a loss...

EDIT: just because your friends are claiming to get 20+ mpg in hilly terrain doesn't mean you will. I only touched 20+ on all of my 22re's on flat ground at cruising speed. I averaged in the 19mpg range on all 6 of my RE's w/ a one time high of 24 on flat hwy cruise. Also, your 4runner (2nd gen, right?) is going to be 1K-1200 lbs heaver than the same year mini-truck regular cab. At least drive the thing before you tear it apart - you might be surprised.

--------------------
Brian K. Gallus
I have nothing important to say.

Edited by bkg (11/29/05 09:16 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rauch_Off_Road
Forum Moderator

Reged: 08/29/03
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Re: 3.0 to 22RE Swap questions. [Re: bkg]
      #815079 - 11/29/05 01:04 PM

Dude I would listen to guys like BKG and Chilli, They have a lot of time invested under their trucks and a lot of $$$ I bet too. Anyway do what you want but once the HG is fixed on the 3.0 its a good engine, save your money and do something cool like maybe a SAS .

Just my fifth of a dime.

--------------------
(aka suprathepeg, aka Sean)
89 v6 SWB truck "BLACK BEAUTY" EB valves, P&P head 30 over.
95 FZJ80. Lifted. locked and rollin on 33s (my dream machine)

bkg
Roll Me Over

Re: 3.0 to 22RE Swap questions. [Re: Rauch_Off_Road]
      #815082 - 11/29/05 01:14 PM

Quote:

lot of $$$ I bet too.

You have NO IDEA! If I totaled up all the $$ I've spent in building trucks, I could have paid for my entire college education! Wait... what the hell have I done!?!?!

--------------------
Brian K. Gallus

Red_Chili
Toyota Section Staffer

Reged: 08/24/01
Loc: Littleton, CO
      #815100 - 11/29/05 01:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

lot of $$$ I bet too.

You have NO IDEA! If I totaled up all the $$ I've spent in building trucks, I could have paid for my entire college education! Wait... what the hell have I done!?!?!

You had to remind me...

On mileage (which I agree, is NOT the holy grail - total cost of ownership is, of which mileage is a single component)... my mileage improved significantly WHEN I WENT FROM A 22RE TO A 3.4. So no, bkg is correct, it guarantees nothing to downsize.

What matters is correctly matching power to weight. That's why a 3.0 in a truck or 1st gen 4Runner is not bad, while (in my experience) it fairly sucks in a 2nd gen 4Runner.

On the 2.7, I really don't know why guys are so excited about it. I own one, (as well as two 3.4 vehicles) and wish I had gone ahead with a 3.4 in the truck. Now, it's not a bad motor at all, mind you, but it is not really more economical than a 3.4 (reference power to weight above...). And it definitely is down on power.

--------------------
-Bill
'87 4Runner w/ '96 5VZ-FE, 'Red Chili II'
'97 Taco XtraCab 3RZ-FE, 'BlackBean'
TLCA # 13257, Rising Sun 4x4 Club Land Use Coordinator
"He who stops being better stops being good." -Oliver Cromwell

Edited by Chili_Man (11/29/05 02:00 PM)

bkg
Roll Me Over

Re: 3.0 to 22RE Swap questions. [Re: Red_Chili]
      #815110 - 11/29/05 02:25 PM

Quote:

You had to remind me...

Sorry, Bill!!! That's spread only over 11 or so years, 5 truck builds, three houses and a marriage. Wow - that's a nice monthly car payment.

Quote:

What matters is correctly matching power to weight. That's why a 3.0 in a truck or 1st gen 4Runner is not bad, while (in my experience) it fairly sucks in a 2nd gen 4Runner.

100% correct. My 88 gets 15+ w/ 35's and lift. Nothing to write home about, but not bad for city driving. A good friend w/ a V6 89 gets 20+ in his 4runner. My ex's 94, lifted and modded, did about 17. A friend w/ a 4-cyl Gen-2 just put in a 3.4 and is much happier...

--------------------
Brian K. Gallus

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 3.0 to 22RE Swap questions. [Re: Red_Chili]
      #815116 - 11/29/05 02:29 PM

I'm not sure how my original question turned into this? But I know if I did the swap I wouldn't spend $thousands$.I would simply buy a wrecked doner truck,and then sell my 3.0 and V6 trans to cover the cost of the doner.Or I would buy a not so nice truck, swap engines and sell the not so nice one with the V6 in it.And I do all my own work,so there is no labor costs.Now one of you said you averaged 19mpg in all 6 of your 22RE's.Doesn't that speak for itself? How many 3.0's average even 17mpg? My wifes Mitsubishi V6 gets 15mpg around here,but when we went to Yellowstone Park it averaged 22- 23mpg on the freeway. This seems to be the normal around my place. Does anyone know what parts interchange?Thanks for the help----Tom

bkg
Roll Me Over

#815118 - 11/29/05 02:36 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure how my original question turned into this? But I know if I did the swap I wouldn't spend $thousands$.

I bet it costs you $1K.

Quote:

I would simply buy a wrecked doner truck,and then sell my 3.0 and V6 trans to cover the cost of the doner.Or I would buy a not so nice truck, swap engines and sell the not so nice one with the V6 in it.And I do all my own work,so there is no labor costs.

Why not just find a Gen 2 w/ a 4-cyl and go from there?

Quote:

Now one of you said you averaged 19mpg in all 6 of your 22RE's.Doesn't that speak for itself?

Nope... All of those trucks were Gen1 4Runners or Gen 3 regular cabs. They are all at least 1K lbs lighter than your 4Runner. Apples to oranges, my friend.

Quote:

How many 3.0's average even 17mpg?

Quite a few have been known to do this. Ken Emmanual got about 20-22 on this highway w/ his 94 x-cab. My ex's 4runner was lifted, modded, geared, etc and did over 17.

Quote:

My wifes Mitsubishi V6 gets 15mpg around here,but when we went to Yellowstone Park it averaged 22- 23mpg on the freeway. This seems to be the normal around my place. Does anyone know what parts interchange?Thanks for the help----Tom

That's the problem, Tom, very few of the parts will interchange. As I pointed out above, you'll need everything from PowerSteering hoses to complete wiring harness, to exhaust, to new motor mounts, etc.. It's not just a plug-n-play ordeal, or we wouldn't be desparately trying to talk you out of it.

A good tune up on the 3.0 and actually driving it for a while before you make an assumption on it's fuel mileage will go a long way towards helping determine whether or not it's worth the 10's of hours it's going to take to make this swap... And then you'll still only manage 17-18mpg on the highway.

--------------------
Brian K. Gallus

Edited by bkg (11/29/05 02:39 PM)

Rauch_Off_Road
Forum Moderator

Reged: 08/29/03
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
      #815127 - 11/29/05 03:02 PM

I easily get better then 17MPG with my 3.0 it is a 3rdgen reg cab SWB but I am running bigger tires and haven't installed the gears to match yet. Your not gonna get substancially better milage from the 2.4. And I and positive that you will hate driving that thing with the 2.4. The 3.0 may not be the best engine that Toyota ever made but it is better then most domestics of that vintage. The only thing that you will gain is a simpler engine to work on and if you even want it to come close to the performance of the 3.0 it'll cost you more then the 3.4 will and you will void the strength of the 2.4 thats why Toyota came out with the 2.7.

--------------------
(aka suprathepeg, aka Sean)
89 v6 SWB truck "BLACK BEAUTY" EB valves, P&P head 30 over.
95 FZJ80. Lifted. locked and rollin on 33s (my dream machine)

bkg
Roll Me Over

Re: 3.0 to 22RE Swap questions. [Re: Rauch_Off_Road]
      #815372 - 11/29/05 10:37 PM

To give another plug for a 3.4 swap: I got 18.5 mpg with my 96 during the last tank of city driving.

--------------------
Brian K. Gallus

Snowtoy
Roll Me Over

Reged: 04/10/02
Loc: Grass Valley, CA
      #815506 - 11/30/05 03:15 AM

Well a wrecked runner will run around $750-1500+ depending on how damaged it is mileage of engine/tranny etc. As far as selling the 3.0/tranny, you might get 5-700 for both, granted the engine uards charge a lot more, buit you usually can't get that much privately. Even if you break even with a donor rig, you still have a lot of time(your $) wrapped up in the swap. replacing the clutch shouldn't run you more than $300. I say fix the 3.0 give it a complete tune-up, replace the stock cat(should be time) and see how oit does. If it still doesn't get the mileage you want, sell it. You will be able to get a comprably equipped 22re 2nd gen Runner for about $1500-2000 less than you can sell the 3.0 for, and have extra to build the 22re with

Quote:

How many 3.0's average even 17mpg

My '90 X-cab does this climbing the Sierra's to 7k ft loaded down with gear/passengers weighing beyond 5400 lbs, and I can climb them cruising at 70. On the back roads/city I used to average 17 and 22-24 on the highway, but that was when it was stock with only a camper shell. Now with lift kit, 33's & geared, lockers/onboard tools/compressors, fender flares, off road bumpers, light & safari racks, I average 15 backroad/city and 17-21 on the highway(depends on CA or NV gas).

--------------------
More than tread lightly. Leave it like you were never there, nor anyone else.
'90 X-cab 4.88's 33 BFG AT's, rr ARB, Headers, Ignition upgrade, cold air induction.
'91 X-cab 5.29's 315's BFG MT's, rr ARB, custom bumper and flatbed

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  4Crawler, kewlynx 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1258

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums