4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Toyota Forums
More Toyota on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Toyota Section | Toyota FAQ | Toyota Tech
Toyota Forums: Early Toyota Trucks | 4Runner, FJ Crusier and SUV | T100 and Tundra | Tacoma | Toyota Archives

Toyota Forums >> Early Toyota Trucks

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

coolant flush - nothing from block drain plug!
      #781670 - 09/13/05 12:28 PM

Alright I'm doing a coolant flush/fill for the first time on the truck (got it earlier this year) and I'm stumped..

Removed the rad cap, opened the radiator drain, and let it flow until empty. Then, moved on to the block drain plug on driver's side, and nothing comes out. So I figure that since the radiator's drain is at a lower point than the drain on the block, that it just emptied out the whole cooling system. I closed the rad drain and filled it with water, leaving the block drain open, but still nothing came out! Checked inside the drain hole with a screwdriver and there was some rusty gunk in there. Thought I cleaned it out, but now I'm worried I pushed all that crap inside the block.

So I proceeded to keep flushing and refilling with water and running the engine in between with the drain plug closed hoping the circulation would clear things up. Still nothing is flowing from the drain when I open it. The water changes to a slight rusty color after each flush, but nothing major and there's no floating particles. I've never had a cooling system problem with the truck before the flush...just wanted to do preventive maintenance and get ready for winter. There's always good flow in the top rad hose when the thermostat is open.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? I bought some cooling system flush and I'll try that tonight. Should I just run the engine with the drain plus open and hopefully the 15psi pressure build-up will free up the clog (and make a big mess..)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
87Toy4x4
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 04/11/04
Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
Re: coolant flush - nothing from block drain plug! [Re: ]
      #781689 - 09/13/05 12:57 PM

it's probably clogged w/ stop-leak. that happened to mine.

take the plug all the way out and then poke a screw driver in there to get the stop-leak out. that should do the trick.

*EDIT- i just read your whole post and i noticed you already tried putting a screw driver in there haha. thats what i get for skimming. im lazy.

--------------------
87 22R PU, 2 body lift, 33 BFG muds, 4.88's, F&R Lock-Rights, Rancho Shocks, EB's Street RV Head w/ 268 Cam, LCE Header, 2" to 2 1/4" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series, Magnaflow high flow cat, complete Herculined SR5 interior, V6 BB, MC, and calipers.

Edited by 87Toy4x4 (09/13/05 12:58 PM)

87Toy4x4
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 04/11/04
Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
Re: coolant flush - nothing from block drain plug! [Re: 87Toy4x4]
      #781691 - 09/13/05 01:01 PM

you have to use flush man. they have flush that is "ideal for neglected cooling systems" haha prestone makes it. get that and the other. make sure you use DISTILLED water when you fill it back up. it'll make your truck last a hell of a lot longer. the tap water eats away the metal and has a lower boiling point.

--------------------
87 22R PU, 2 body lift, 33 BFG muds, 4.88's, F&R Lock-Rights, Rancho Shocks, EB's Street RV Head w/ 268 Cam, LCE Header, 2" to 2 1/4" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series, Magnaflow high flow cat, complete Herculined SR5 interior, V6 BB, MC, and calipers.

Esquire812
Trail Leader

Reged: 04/25/02
Loc: Port Orchard, Washington
      #781694 - 09/13/05 01:08 PM

Pull the block drain plug out, scrape around in the cooling jacket as best as you can...bend an old screwdriver at the tip so you can pull larger chunks out. Remove your T-stat housing and T-stat and pour water in there for flushing the block. You dont want that crap coming out anywhere except for the side drain on the block...doesnt take much to clog some of the little hoses and passages. Keep flushing from the t-stat opening until you get a clean steady stream from the block drain.

Oh and if you have a piggybacked block drain...remove both parts so that there is a larger opening to clear the debris.

~Darin

--------------------
88' 4x4 *22R-EB Gen II*
87' $Runner *22R-EB Gen I*
85' Sillyca 22R-Esq

"I LIVE IN MY OWN WORLD...THEY KNOW ME WELL THERE"

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: coolant flush - nothing from block drain plug! [Re: Esquire812]
      #781703 - 09/13/05 01:30 PM

Alright good idea about bending a screwdriver tip. Hopefully that and the prestone flush will clear things up. I do have the piggybacked drain, and tried to remove the larger section but bent my socket extension trying to do so. I don't think it's going anywhere..

On a side note, I don't quite understand why the block drain is needed in the first place. If I drain from the rad, why wouldn't it drain the block as well? I had the t-stat housing removed, and when I fill from the rad it backfills the block and water eventually starts to overflow from the t-stat opening. Similarly when I flush from the rad drain, water from the t-stat opening drops so I assume it's draining both the rad and block?

Esquire812
Trail Leader

#781709 - 09/13/05 01:44 PM

Guessing you havent ever seen a stripped down 22R block? LOL I gotta quite assuming that people have....sorry.

Draining via the radiator leaves upwards of a gallon of coolant in the system. Look at the routing from the lower radiator hose-up to the timing cover where the H2O pump is. This is an uphill obstruction when using just the radiator petcock for draining. Heres a diagram of the coolant flow...sorry its not the best picture but should help.

When flushing I close the drains, pour hot water down the T-stat hole until full then let loose with the block drain followed by the radiator petcock. Repeat a couple of times until running clear then reinstall plugs, and fill new coolant mixture through T-stat opening until full, reinstall t-stat/housing then topoff the system via the radiator. I also cheat and drill out all my T-stats to prevent air from being trapped....along with a burping T in the heater hose at the firewall. Very important to get that gunk out of the water jacket...you dont need anything in there that has the ability to store heat and restrict flow.

~Darin

--------------------
88' 4x4 *22R-EB Gen II*
85' Sillyca 22R-Esq

ACES_HI
Rock Warrior

Reged: 09/23/03
Loc: Albany, NY
      #781735 - 09/13/05 02:34 PM

Quote:

Alright good idea about bending a screwdriver tip.

Better yet, bend a Craftsman screwdriver and take it back for a free replacement!

--------------------
'04 Taco x-cab 3RZ FE stock (daily driver)
'90 x-cab 22RE stock
'82 Hilux 6" lift (ACES HI)
'82 2-Hiluxs' Rally Edition (parts)
'81 Hilux 3" lift (parts/restore)

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: coolant flush - nothing from block drain plug! [Re: Esquire812]
      #781766 - 09/13/05 04:02 PM

Thanks Darin, it's all clear in my head now

Now the only thing I need to clear up is my coolant!

nuclear3579
Wheeler

Reged: 04/20/05
      #781781 - 09/13/05 04:36 PM

Here's an even better question for the lower level people like me. Where is the block drain plug on the 22RE?

--------------------
Too close for missiles, I'm switching to guns...

'97 4Runner...SR5, 4cyl (3RZ), 5spd, 4wd, no rust, excellent shape.

Esquire812
Trail Leader

Re: coolant flush - nothing from block drain plug! [Re: nuclear3579]
      #781841 - 09/13/05 06:33 PM

"Lower level" should make accessing it alot easier for you! Kidding...seriously though. Best way to go after her is to reach in through the drivers wheel well. Straight shot with a long extension. If piggyback drainplug it will be a 14mm into a 17mm, if later style (88 newer) it will be a single 17mm plug.

~Darin

**Anyone ever notice that my name and DRAIN are like....really really close to the same?

--------------------
88' 4x4 *22R-EB Gen II*
85' Sillyca 22R-Esq

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  4Crawler, kewlynx 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 734

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums