4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

Isuzu TrailTalk Forums
More Isuzu on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Isuzu Section | 4x4Wire Isuzu Tech
Isuzu Forums: Isuzu 4x4 and SUV Talk | Isuzu 4x4 and SUV Tech | Isuzu Diesel

Isuzu Forums >> Isuzu 4x4 & SUV Tech

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Help pleeeeeeeeeese, 94 trooper sluggish, loss of power - FIXED-
      #744053 - 06/22/05 02:16 AM

Hi, I am a new owner of 94 Isuzu trooper 3.2 DOHC, I bought it to go 4X4 not a daily drive. I bought it with the problem, seller disclosed it as bad transmission. Here is the skinny:

Problem:
Truck runs Ok on flat surface but losses power up-hill, if I use the power button it will keep going but very sluggish. few times it stalled and died. It shifts fine in all the gears, even though harsh shifts between 2nd and 3rd. It had check engine light, and auto tranny light flashing few times. Engine code state lean condition, code 43. The fuel economy is pretty bad 12/13 MPG on highway. Few times it stalled with auto tranny light flashing, I turn off and on few times and let it cool down a bit then it work fine. When come to a stop, the rpm dips very low for a sec and then come back up.

What I have done so far:

1. changed the spark plug twice, running denso now. with .44 gap.
2. Replaced the ICV.
3. changeg the transmission oil and filter, also ran a bottle of sea foam.
4. changed the fuel filter, cleaned the throttle body and intake.
5. replaced the Fuel pressure regulator.
6. Replaced the IMG, (I do not think it needed but 70 % of the post on this board with this kind of problem was hinting towards it).
7. Cleaned the AT range selector.
8. checked the CAT convertor air flow, lookes good and the element is still intact.
9. Cleaned the EGR passage tube and port on intake, boy that was all blocked.
10. Tested the ignition wires, their resistance is around 1.2 K ohms which shoudl be within the specs.

Next steps
1. TPS, CPS, and MAP are next on the list, but I do not think they can cause this kind of issue, but then I could be wrong.
2. check the fuel filter again.
3. Fuel pump ??

All of the above had made a difference, it drives much smother and had gain a little power. No CEL anymore, and idle much better. But still very sluggish on uphills. I still do not believe it is tranny, since it shifts fine in all gears and trucks runns 80 -90 MPH on the freeway no problem.
Good thing I am doing all the work myself othewise it would have cost me a fortune.
This is driving me crazy and I can use all the help in the world.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by crawler (07/04/05 02:57 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
p2p
Need a Spot

Reged: 03/24/04
Re: Help pleeeeeeeeeese, 94 trooper sluggish, loss of power [Re: ]
      #744119 - 06/22/05 10:08 AM

You check the compression yet? My '92 DOHC was acting much the same.

And with just under 100k, on engine, was surprised to find almost no compression in #2.

Good luck.

p2

BigSwede
Roll Me Over

Reged: 06/12/00
Loc: Minnetonka, Minnesota
      #744122 - 06/22/05 10:20 AM

I almost hate to say this, because it is offered too often IMO as a potential problem, but what about a plugged catalytic converter?

--------------------
Steve Carlson - 95 Trooper LS expo rig
Serenity now!

ProBMXer1313
Mudrunner

Reged: 11/04/04
Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Re: Help pleeeeeeeeeese, 94 trooper sluggish, loss of power [Re: BigSwede]
      #744150 - 06/22/05 11:13 AM

Quote:

I almost hate to say this, because it is offered too often IMO as a potential problem, but what about a plugged catalytic converter?

I don't think he could get to 80-90mph w/o noticing a bad lack of power on even a partially plugged cat. I had a partially plugged cat recently and there was a bad power loss on the freeway, accelerating and going up hill.

--------------------
1998 Honda Passport EXL V6 3.2L Auto SOTF 4WD
3" Calmini Lift w/ HD Track Bar, 32x11.5-16 Super Swamper SX, Aisins

http://www.CarDomain.com/ID/ProBMXer1313

BigSwede
Roll Me Over

Reged: 06/12/00
Loc: Minnetonka, Minnesota
Re: Help pleeeeeeeeeese, 94 trooper sluggish, loss of power [Re: ProBMXer1313]
      #744192 - 06/22/05 12:49 PM

Good point...but how could it even get to 90 if it is running so poorly?

I'll throw out another one...a problem with the torque converter? If it is not unlocking quickly enough, that would explain the brief dip in idle speed when coming to a stop.

--------------------
Steve Carlson - 95 Trooper LS expo rig
Serenity now!

RT1
Mudrunner

Reged: 01/27/04
Loc: NJ
      #744194 - 06/22/05 12:50 PM

Loss of power and bad mileage translated into burned valves in my buggy (still ran pretty good on two cylinders, I just couldn't pass emissions ). Compression check should be your next step.

--------------------
'89 P'up, 2.6 I-Tec, 488,000 miles and done... gone to the great beyond

Wayne
Roll Me Over

Reged: 12/06/01
Loc: Tucson, Dallas/FW or Virginia ...
      #744261 - 06/22/05 02:58 PM

It's asked a lot, here's the compiled list.
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB86&Number=591821

You've hit a bunch of them already. I agree with compression check.

--------------------
• 04 Rodeo DI • 56k mi, body damage on the 1st weekend I got it.

trooperbc
Mudrunner

Reged: 04/17/04
      #744356 - 06/22/05 05:42 PM

{{{I pre-typed this in word prior to posting it, so if it duplicates others, i didn’t see them, yet}}}

Quote:

All of the above had made a difference, it drives much smother and had gain a little power. No CEL anymore, and idle much better. But still very sluggish on uphills

crawler, i have a bunch of questions first. Mostly, i’m not clear on what was happening and is now fixed, and what is still happening…

1. what made the biggest “difference”?
2. what repair operation stopped the CEL?
3. is the uphill sluggishness the same/similar as before, or different?
4. the hard shifting is now cured?

5. during the sparkplug changes, did you do a compression test? Results?

6. “drives much smoother”…. But still somewhat rough? Are you experiencing a miss? Always? Intermittent? Never?

7. have you tested for non-firing, missing cylinders? It’s fine to test the wires for continuity, but a good result doesn’t necessarily mean they are good. If they are original, they are highly suspect. Misfiring can often be intermittent. One way to test in your own garage is with an inductive timing light. This can point to misfiring cylinder(s) which can be caused by bad wires, but also can be ignition coils, and cylinder/valve mechanical problems.

8. what about something as simple as driving up a curb? Is that normal, or are you short on power for that? Can you only get up in four wheel drive or in reverse?

9. what about any hard and quick acceleration? Hesitant? Draggy, spongy feeling?

10. did your 94 trooper get a smog test? Result?

With the info you give, fuel delivery seems like a likely suspect, but ***********
….because of my own experience i suppose, i’m leaning more towards ignition components and/or electronics—including the computer. The answers to the above questions would help if they point to what turned out to be my 92 trooper’s problem.

I’m impressed with all the effort you’ve put in so far. Hope with help from 4x4wire you get it resolved.

Mostly, i think you need to think in terms of basics, first. Plugs, wires, compression test, even timing and timing advance check (although you can’t change it, it can point to another problem)

Looking for your replies to the above questions.

Good luck.

--------------------
1992 sohc trooper 3.2l v6 automatic . . . as is

i love a good intermittent electrical challenge. . .especially when it's someone else's.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Help pleeeeeeeeeese, 94 trooper sluggish, loss of power [Re: trooperbc]
      #744575 - 06/23/05 04:24 AM

Thanks for everyone's ideas and replies, I think compression test is next. I will do that and post the results in few days, busy being a new DAD. It does sounds like I am running on 4 cylnder rather than 6, but all the plugs do look fine. Once on the flat freeway it goes to 80-90mph slowly but surely, but once in 4th gear no quick responce to the accelerator, like a flat spot. but if keep pushing the pedal it will slowly catch up the speed. But on uphill it has very hard time keeping the speed, it start slowing down no matter how much gas you give. I am trying to explain as much as I can but please feel free to ask if my descriptions are not clear.
Trooperbc here are some answers to your questions, sorry if I was not clear in my post, I did not want it to make it too long.
- Changing the spark plugs, tranny oil filter change and FPR made a differnce.
-- EGR cleaning made the CEL go away.
-- The uphill slugishness is 10% improved after all the repairs.
-- Hard shift is 90% cured.
-- No I have not done the compression test yet, that is next as every one suggested.
-- No I am not experiencing a miss, even though it set a code for missfire once, I believe it was 44.
-- Good suggestion about the induciton light to check any misfiring cylender, I will try it.
-- Runs fine on curbs, reveres or 4x4 also works fine. It only bogs down /sluggish on uphil about 30% or more grade.
-- It hesitates on sudden acceleration, if I release the gas pedal a bit it picks up fine. Almost like timing issue, but then the timing is not adjustable on this thing. It could be the knock sensor, I have not tested yet.

As I said in my previous post, too many paths to follow here so I was hoping some one has similar issues and may be help me out. I hate to througn parts on the problem, i rather diagonose it first. Here is my action plan now.

1. compression test.
2. missfire/ Ignition timing track, may be change the ignition wires also.
3. knock sensor, TCM and groud connection check.
4. if it is still not fix, JUST BURN THE DAMN THING, just kidding.

once again thanks for the help guys. Probably will be busy in hospital all day tomorrow, wife and baby will be back on Sat. then may be I can do the compression check and post the result.

Thanks a lot

Bigpoppax2
Roll Me Over

Reged: 04/22/02
Loc: Bluefield, Virginia
      #744623 - 06/23/05 09:30 AM

What size tires do you have on your Trooper?

Makes a big difference especially on hills.

What part of the world do you live in?

A hill to some isn't really a hill.

You may just be seeing typical 3.2 power with such a large vehicle and bigger tires. I only say this because you say you have just bought it.

Joe

--------------------
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

98 Passport 33's, Supercharged, Calmini Bumper, rockbars, diff drops, Teralows, 4.77's, Aussie and ARB lockers, Safari snorkel, Optima red top.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  jezeric, houlster, Jim_Paget, mlclark, strawmyers 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1421

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums