4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Toyota Forums
More Toyota on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Toyota Section | Toyota FAQ | Toyota Tech
Toyota Forums: Early Toyota Trucks | 4Runner, FJ Crusier and SUV | T100 and Tundra | Tacoma | Toyota Archives

Toyota Forums >> Early Toyota Trucks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
TheBandit
Rock Warrior

Reged: 01/26/04
Loc: Engineer
Re: My 63" Chevy Spring Swap [Re: JWHnAtl]
      #691671 - 03/07/05 02:53 AM

Thanks JWHnAtl. No I don't have ball joint spacers up front. It's a Trailmaster 4" lift, barely cranked up.

--------------------
1986 4Runner - 4" IFS - 63" Chevys - 33" ATs - 5.29s - Rear Detroit
Sliders - Kayline - Rebuilt 22RE - On Board Air AND Factory AC
www.xtremefabricator.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dcg9381
Rock Warrior

Reged: 10/05/00
Loc: Austin,TX
Re: My 63" Chevy Spring Swap [Re: seaflea]
      #691925 - 03/07/05 05:59 PM

I've done the same swap...
A couple of comments:

1) Running 44044s up front - the truck doesn't sit level:

2) You'll need to modify the parking break to clear the springs a bit:

3) I'm running a soft-ride 1.5in add-a-leaf.. It's almost level. Long shackles in back are good, but they're not enough to correct your pinion angle, you'll need to shim.. I believe I used 3 deg shims.

Very flexible.. cheap springs.. ride great.. notice overall length increase - new mount point is in front of old spring:

http://lakebox.dnsalias.com/photos/1981%20toyota/fabrication/med/DSC03577.JPG

[email protected]

--------------------
22REturbo.net

1988 4Runner
22RTE core, turbocharged, megasquirted...

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: My 63" Chevy Spring Swap [Re: dcg9381]
      #691935 - 03/07/05 06:15 PM

**cough** Bob your bed **cough**

How did you modify the parking brake?

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: My 63" Chevy Spring Swap [Re: TheBandit]
      #691941 - 03/07/05 06:21 PM

That's what we wanted to see. Nice work! It looks like you have the four leaf pack with the over load? If you take the over load off it'll ride a lot better, or at least mine did when I took the load spring out. Anyways, looks good, thanks for the pics.

Greg_Canada
Roll Me Over

Reged: 08/25/03
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: My 63" Chevy Spring Swap [Re: dcg9381]
      #691969 - 03/07/05 07:16 PM

Quote:

I've done the same swap...
A couple of comments:

1) Running 44044s up front - the truck doesn't sit level:

2) You'll need to modify the parking break to clear the springs a bit:

3) I'm running a soft-ride 1.5in add-a-leaf.. It's almost level. Long shackles in back are good, but they're not enough to correct your pinion angle, you'll need to shim.. I believe I used 3 deg shims.

Very flexible.. cheap springs.. ride great.. notice overall length increase - new mount point is in front of old spring:

http://lakebox.dnsalias.com/photos/1981%20toyota/fabrication/med/DSC03577.JPG

[email protected]

That;s a CLEAN truck, i like it.

--------------------
89 4Runner
3" BL, M/T locks, 33"bfg mt, bilstein, Kayline, tubebumper, toyotafiberglass panels
TBI: Elocker,3.4 w/ORS,b+b,S2Sstg2cams,arias pistons,P+P intake,TRDs/c,URDpullies+7th,downey headers,MAPECU2,WEGO WB, SupraMAF,walboro255,stg4clutch, EPaOo2 sim

extremesolo
Need a Spot

Reged: 05/27/04
Loc: Central PA
      #692398 - 03/08/05 01:09 PM

I am planning on doing the swap on my 87 runner very soon. Do I need shims to correct the pinion angle or will I be okay without them? Also I was only planning a BJ spacer on the front with the IFS do you think I will be level or will the rear be too high with the 3 leaf chevy pack? Thanks, Andrew

--------------------
1987 4Runner - 22RE, 290,000 miles 63" chevys, double shackle, BJ spacers, downey IFS truss, extended differential breathers, 33x10.50 BFG MT's. Soon to come - aussie locker in rear

dcg9381
Rock Warrior

Reged: 10/05/00
Loc: Austin,TX
Re: My 63" Chevy Spring Swap [Re: extremesolo]
      #692469 - 03/08/05 03:00 PM

I'm going to a flat bed, with some rear seats as soon as I can find the time and the motivation to do so.

The spring pack gets too tall, so the parking brake drags across it. It's not clear in the photo, but you need to extend the arm that is on the drum brake. I simply welded on to it and drilled a hole for the pin. I believe that someone actually makes an extension.

What you need to understand about doing ANY lift:

1) If you lift, you just changed your pinion angle. The rule that I've heard is for every inch up, you need to rotate the pinion by 1.5 degrees. The rear isn't as bad because the angles are not as extreme. A bad pinion angle in back will result in u-joints that wear more quickly and inefficient power transfer.. Not a big deal.

2) The front is more problematic because you can end up with a very bad (unusable) pinion angle. If you shim the front - you'll screw up your default caster, which is what keeps your truck stable on the road. Not enough caster and you'll "death wobble" - the truck will be highly unstable, not drivable, and dangerous on the road... To do the SAS right, you need to cut and rotate the ends of the axle (see pirate4x4) - to get your pinion angle correct.. you'll need to reweld the spring perches also. It's a pain...

I'd recommend not shimming the front - that way your pinion angle might be bad, but you're not going to death wobble. Jess (high angle driveline) can produce some driveshafts that work well, but they will vibrate quite a bit and not be smooth above about 20mph...

email me if you've got questions.

[email protected]

--------------------
22REturbo.net

1988 4Runner
22RTE core, turbocharged, megasquirted...

Runner-Man
Mudrunner

Reged: 05/30/03
Loc: Gainesville, GA
Re: My 63" Chevy Spring Swap [Re: extremesolo]
      #692552 - 03/08/05 04:52 PM

I did the Chevy spring swap using a 3 spring + overload pack and took the overload out so I have no problems with the e-brake cable. I didn't have to shim, my pinion angle was right on the money (about 2 degrees off in the rear, so while under power it should be perfectly parallel with the transfer case). There is no driveline vibration.

At first I used a double shackle setup, but after everyone got me worried about using double shackles I switched to a single shackle using the existing rear shackle hanger. The shackle is pretty laid back, but the truck rides fine and flexes good.

--------------------
'89 4Runner, 22RE. Chevy spring swap, 8,000 lb Warn winch, custom front and rear bumpers, e-locker rear. Saved by Grace.

TheBandit
Rock Warrior

#692689 - 03/08/05 08:44 PM

Careful... if people keep posting here we'll end up with the 4x4wire equivalent of the PBB FAQs

My parking brake cable is at least 3/4" above the spring pack at flat ride height. I didn't take a close look at it while I was flex testing, but I'll go back and take a look soon.

--------------------
www.xtremefabricator.com

TheBandit
Rock Warrior

#727802 - 05/16/05 08:18 PM

Still loving this Chevy springs:

Never seen the IFS flex that much In the back I am rubbing right tire on compression and the passenger droops until the shackle goes 90. Shocks barely have enough compression travel. Extension is okay.

--------------------
www.xtremefabricator.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  4Crawler, kewlynx 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2641

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums