4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire TrailTalk Jeep Forums

More Jeep on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Jeep Section | 4x4Wire Jeep Tech Section
4x4Wire TrailTalk Jeep Forums: Jeep Talk | Jeep Tech

Jeep Forums >> Jeep Tech

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

CJ7 BRAKE PROBLEM
      #589459 - 09/09/04 01:04 AM

I HAVE A 77 CJ7 4 WHEEL DRUM BRAKES. I PUT NEW SHOES FRONT AND REAR, THEY ARE ADJUSTED CORRECTLY. IT HAD NON POWER BRAKES. I ADDED A POWER BRAKE BOOSTER, NEW, AND A NEW MASTER CYLENDER. I ALSO BLEED THE BRAKES SEVERAL TIMES.
I CAN NOT GET A FIRM PEDAL. ITGOES ABOUT A 1 INCH FROM THE FLOOR BEFORE THE BRAKES ENGAGE AND THEY WILL NOT LOCK UP.
IT FEELS LIKE THE BRAKES ARE WAY OUT OF ADJUSTMENT, BUT I KNOW THEY ARE NOT. PUMPING THE BRAKES DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE AND IT DOES NOT LOOSE PREASURE WHEN YOU HOLD THE PEDAL DOWN. CAN ANY BODY HELP ME ?
CJ7 BRAKES
You may choose many
HELP
BRAKES

Votes accepted from (09/09/04 12:00 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BigJim
Web Wheeler

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Central Texas
Re: CJ7 BRAKE PROBLEM [Re: ]
      #589467 - 09/09/04 01:28 AM

I'd pick up the wheels one at a time and READJUST them then I would spemd the 4 bucks or so and buy a simple brake vacuum pump and I'd vacuum them till there was frost in hell. With everything you have written you should have a good pedal. It goes to the floor because it is spreading the shoes too much or you have air in the system and the air is compressing allowing to much pedal movement.
Big Jim

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: CJ7 BRAKE PROBLEM [Re: BigJim]
      #589491 - 09/09/04 02:11 AM

make sure you adjsut the brakes with the drums on. if you have a lip on the drum you may be under adjsuting. when proporly adjusted there should be a light drag as you turn the hub.

valleycat
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 12/07/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #589721 - 09/09/04 01:22 PM

this has nothing to do with your question but read this.

http://www.chtopping.com/CustomRod4/

Anonymous
Unregistered

#590231 - 09/10/04 03:19 AM

after you check the stuff these guys are telling you
make sure you do not have a master cyl. for disc brakes
the one for drum brakes has check valves. if you have
cyl. for front disc you will never get it adjusted.

carnuck
Getting the Wheeling Fever

Reged: 12/25/03
Loc: Seattle, WA
      #590240 - 09/10/04 04:06 AM

One more thing. You need to readjust the brakes after a short drive and be sure the the Ebrake cables aren't too tight. They will hold the shoes part way off the cylinder and when you hit the brake, the stretch of the cables will act like springs and make them feel mushy. (been there, done that!) Any wear in the backing plates will cock the shoes so they don't seat right too while adjusting.

Oh! A faulty master or one with too small of a bore will affect your brakes too!

--------------------
Build your truck the head men say, but it must be built in such a way...

atavuss
Mudrunner

Reged: 02/23/04
      #590328 - 09/10/04 10:46 AM

I also have a 77 CJ7, but mine has factory disk brakes on the front, anyone know if that was an option or was it standard on later production 77?
did you bench bleed the master cylinder before you installed it in the vehicle? where did you get the booster and master cylinder at? sure it is the proper application? have you adjusted the rod in the booster (not all boosters have an adjustable rod)?
FWIW, my Jeep never has had a really high and firm pedal........but it does stop good (factory disk on front and factory 11" drums on rear)! I believe there was a recall or TSB when this model was fairly new, something about the booster rod needed adjusting. also, I have been running dot 5 silicone brake fluid for many years.

--------------------
04 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma v6 TRD, all stock

77 Jeep CJ7, 304 v8, 33x12.50x15 bfg, 4.10 gears, 44 rear end, ford bronco low range gear mod, warn 6k winch, rubicon tested

1969 M274a5 Military Mechanical Mule

46 Bantam Civilian trailer

Edited by atavuss (09/10/04 10:57 AM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: CJ7 BRAKE PROBLEM [Re: atavuss]
      #590409 - 09/10/04 01:18 PM

I have factory discs on my 77. I thought that is the year they switched but, i re did the brakes the guy said it depended on the time of year... ie first 6 months or last 6 months... just a rumour.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#590785 - 09/11/04 12:32 AM

You have to make sure you have pumped the master cylinder full of brake fluid before you install it or you will pump lots and lots of air into the lines.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  KF6ZPL 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 511

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums