4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Mitsubishi Trail Talk Forums

More Mitsubishi on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Mitsubishi Section | Mitsubishi Tech
4x4Wire TrailTalk Mitsubishi Forums: Mitsubishi 4x4 and SUV Tech | Mitsubishi Diesels | Mitsubishi Archives

Mitsubishi Forums >> Mitsubishi 4x4 & SUV Tech

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

lower differential gear ratio for Montero 2.5
      #504704 - 04/19/04 01:54 PM

Hello all,
I would like to know if it's possible to change the gear ratio in a Pajero/Montero 2.5. The current ratio is 4.875:
- pinion: 8 teeth
- ring: 39 teeth (internal diameter of 123 mm)
Is there any ring and pinion kit to lower that ratio? (as I want to install 8% taller tyres)
Is there a place were a set of custom ring and pinion sets can be build at an affordable cost?

Thank you

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
off-roaderModerator
Mitsubishi Forum Moderator

Reged: 01/16/00
Loc: Bay Area, CA
Re: lower differential gear ratio for Montero 2.5 [Re: ]
      #504715 - 04/19/04 02:11 PM

Antonimo,

Welcome to the forum.

Where are you located? Most of us on this Forum are in the US with a spatering of members in various other countries. Unfortunately, we did not receive the 2.5TD engine in the US.

Perhaps our forum members in Europe, Australia, and Asia may be able to help answer some of your questions.

From what I've read, there aren't too many places that make an affordable custom cut R&P gear set.

Perhaps the stock mitsu 5.29 gears will fit your rig. What year is it?

--------------------
Off Roader
96SR (3.15:1 xcase, 35's)
96SR Build Up Thread
Old web page
Old web page

Lee N
Rock Warrior

Reged: 02/16/01
Loc: Ogden, UT
      #504728 - 04/19/04 02:36 PM

Quote:

Hello all,
I would like to know if it's possible to change the gear ratio in a Pajero/Montero 2.5. The current ratio is 4.875:
- pinion: 8 teeth
- ring: 39 teeth (internal diameter of 123 mm)
Is there any ring and pinion kit to lower that ratio? (as I want to install 8% taller tyres)
Is there a place were a set of custom ring and pinion sets can be build at an affordable cost?

Thank you

Antonimo,

I'm guessing from your question that you are somewhere other than the US and you have a 2.5L Gen 1? You only have a choice of 5.29 gears that are any lower than your 4.88's. In the part number repository (sticky thread at the top of the forum), the part numbers for 5.29 gears are listed there. If you do have a 2.5L Gen 1, the front ring & pinion set are currently out of production, although there has been some discussion that the factory's going to produce some more due to the recent popularity of them. Also, the rear R&P may also be out of production, but there again, the rumor is the factory's going to produce some more. BTW, in the US, the stock ratio is 4.625, so you already have lower gears than most 2.5L Gen 1's here.

--------------------
Lee
'94 LS, 3.0 V6, Auto, completely stock

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: lower differential gear ratio for Montero 2.5 [Re: off-roader]
      #505343 - 04/20/04 07:12 AM

Thank you very much for your precise answers.

As you have noticed, I'm not in the U.S. I'm in Europe (Spain) and I own a "Montero Io" ("Pajero Pinin" in most european markets) with an 1.8 GDI engine (120 hp). I believe this car is neither sold in the U.S., but their differentials are (almost) exactly the same than the old Montero 2.5 (which I thought it was sold in the U.S.)

The stock tyres of my car are 215/65/16 (diameter=686 mm) and I want to mount 225/75/16 tyres (744 mm).
The increase in diameter is thus 8.45%. To compensate it, I must change the differential gear ratio from the original 4.875 to an increased 5.287

Well, according to your data, the 5.29 ring&pinion IS EXACTLY WHAT IM LOOKING FOR!

Where should I look for it? You say I can find the Part Number somewhere in the forum. Where exactly? (sorry, I'm new in the forum and I feel a little bit clumsy)
If I have understood well, there is no problem to find the rear differential, but it's not so easy to find the front one. In any case, I suppose the ring and pinion would be the same. Is that correct? To whom should I adress my inquires?

Well, again thank you very much for your help. You can not imagine how useful has been your information. I enter the forum as "my last opportunity" and now I realize it had to be the "first step". From now on you have a new active member, willing to give any information or technical data of my "exotic" Mitsu and its preparation.

Lee N
Rock Warrior

Reged: 02/16/01
Loc: Ogden, UT
      #505402 - 04/20/04 10:02 AM

Here's an extensive thread that talks about the 5.29 gears starting back into production - 5.29 Gears. Also, check this - Specialized Part Number Repository. It's the first thread in the forum. To save you some hassle, the part numbers are - front 5.29 MB185457, rear 5.29 MB241981. BTW, the 5.29 gears were found in diesel equipped Montero's/Pajero's. You might search the junkyards around Spain/Europe to see if you could locate a used set.

--------------------
Lee
'94 LS, 3.0 V6, Auto, completely stock

Charlie Belew
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 01/08/00
Loc: Alice Springs, AU
      #505910 - 04/20/04 09:31 PM

The io is/was sold in Australia. Check these Aussie boards:
www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=4

www.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/forum.asp

--------------------
2004 Pajero Exceed 3.2 DiD auto

rallyant
Getting the Wheeling Fever

Reged: 06/22/08
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: lower differential gear ratio for Montero 2.5 [Re: Charlie Belew]
      #1231291 - 12/27/10 01:50 AM

How did you go with this?
I also have a Pajero IO and was thinking about swapping in the 5.11 from the 1.8 auto pajero IO, But if the crown and pinion are the same I might just chuck in the 5.29.
Be nice to know if the fronts were the same as the normal older pajeros also? I would track down and chuck and LSD from an older starion into it :)

I have a Pajero LSD with the 3.545 crown and pinion form a late model starion in my mid 70s Galant. Its about time i stole parts from another car to put back into a Pajero now :)

off-roaderModerator

Re: lower differential gear ratio for Montero 2.5 [Re: rallyant]
      #1231312 - 12/27/10 12:19 PM

Quote:

How did you go with this?
I also have a Pajero IO and was thinking about swapping in the 5.11 from the 1.8 auto pajero IO, But if the crown and pinion are the same I might just chuck in the 5.29.
Be nice to know if the fronts were the same as the normal older pajeros also? I would track down and chuck and LSD from an older starion into it :)

I have a Pajero LSD with the 3.545 crown and pinion form a late model starion in my mid 70s Galant. Its about time i stole parts from another car to put back into a Pajero now :)

Glen,

You may want to contact charlie directly via PM since he posted that last comment in 2004 (you probably didn't see that).

Alternatively check out those aussie forums since most on this forum are in N. America which never received that model.

--------------------
Off Roader
96SR (3.15:1 xcase, 35's)
96SR Build Up Thread
Old web page
Old web page

rallyant
Getting the Wheeling Fever

Reged: 06/22/08
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: lower differential gear ratio for Montero 2.5 [Re: off-roader]
      #1231377 - 12/28/10 05:15 AM

hehe yeah, just a few years to late!

I thought USA did get a few Montero IO. We didnt get many either!

--------------------
www.pajerio.com
Pajero iO - Lift and 33s on the way :)

off-roaderModerator

Re: lower differential gear ratio for Montero 2.5 [Re: rallyant]
      #1231404 - 12/28/10 12:22 PM

Quote:

hehe yeah, just a few years to late!

I thought USA did get a few Montero IO. We didnt get many either!

FWIW, last I recall he is down under in Alice Springs.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LandRaider, PHIL, off-roader 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2751

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums