4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Toyota Forums
More Toyota on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Toyota Section | Toyota FAQ | Toyota Tech
Toyota Forums: Early Toyota Trucks | 4Runner, FJ Crusier and SUV | T100 and Tundra | Tacoma | Toyota Archives

Toyota Forums >> Early Toyota Trucks

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any tips for removing a stuck spark plug?
      #452338 - 02/11/04 02:52 PM

On the 88 4Runner V6 I just bought, one of the spark plugs(middle on passenger's side) was really tight and didn't want to come out. I started to spray PB Blaster around it hoping it will start to break it free. Are there any other tricks to getting a stuck plug loose without stripping the threads onthe aluminum head?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Esquire812
Trail Leader

Reged: 04/25/02
Loc: Port Orchard, Washington
Re: Any tips for removing a stuck spark plug? [Re: ]
      #452373 - 02/11/04 03:27 PM

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and back her out. Could be that it was cross threaded on installation, or boogered a thread which is galling up digging a trench as you try and back it out. To fix it, got to get it out. Can always try tightening it back up then try pulling it again. might be enough to clear anything thats hampering it. Rare though...
Hold your tongue just near the corner of your mouth, left side squint with your left eye and hum while pulling it. Sometimes this works and all you will have to do is chase threads. Flipside of that if tongue is out of position...you maybe dealing with an insert repair until a proper fix can be done with head off.
Get in there and give it hell man!
~Darin

--------------------
88' 4x4 *22R-EB Gen II*
87' $Runner *22R-EB Gen I*
85' Sillyca 22R-Esq

"I LIVE IN MY OWN WORLD...THEY KNOW ME WELL THERE"

toowacky
Wheeler

Reged: 11/14/02
Loc: Pac NW
      #452443 - 02/11/04 04:37 PM

Steel-aluminum corrosion can be broken by ammonia... yep, regular cleaning stuff. If that is indeed what is binding it.

Learned it from a guy named Sheldon Brown, a bicycle guru-- he uses it to remove Al seatposts that were seized to CrMo frames. Might be worth a shot. Tom

--------------------
1988 4Runner 22R-E W56
1989 4Runner 22R-E A340
1995.5 Rodeo 3.2L 5spd
--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

#452451 - 02/11/04 04:42 PM

Quote:

On the 88 4Runner V6 I just bought, one of the spark plugs(middle on passenger's side) was really tight and didn't want to come out. I started to spray PB Blaster around it hoping it will start to break it free. Are there any other tricks to getting a stuck plug loose without stripping the threads onthe aluminum head?

It will come out the same way it went in, just be careful.

When you reinstall it, use a little hi-temp graphite/nickle/copper (whatever flavor turns you on) anti-seize on it to prevent it from sticking again.

Also, based on what you're saying, be ready with a thread chaser just in case the the worst happens.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#452507 - 02/11/04 05:48 PM

Best trick I've found for this is to try and remove while engine is hot. Evidently the differential expansion of aluminum and steel makes it not quite as tight.

After you get it out, be sure to follow previous advice and chase threads and use anti-seize.

carter
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 06/22/00
Loc: The OC
      #452519 - 02/11/04 06:04 PM

Quote:

Best trick I've found for this is to try and remove while engine is hot. Evidently the differential expansion of aluminum and steel makes it not quite as tight.

After you get it out, be sure to follow previous advice and chase threads and use anti-seize.

I've also found it easier to remove plugs when the engine is warmed up vs. being cold.

--------------------
Mike Carter
85 & 86 4Runners

My Website

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Any tips for removing a stuck spark plug? [Re: carter]
      #453011 - 02/12/04 09:55 AM

I got the plug out last night with some help from a breaker bar and hammer and no apparent damage done. The plug was definitely not firing and covered with gas so I put a new one in and it's still not running smooth on all 6 cylinders. I've put on new cap, rotor and plugs. So I grabbed some new wires last night but it was 23 degrees out when I got home so they're not installed yet.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  4Crawler, kewlynx 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 323

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums