4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Toyota Forums
More Toyota on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Toyota Section | Toyota FAQ | Toyota Tech
Toyota Forums: Early Toyota Trucks | 4Runner, FJ Crusier and SUV | T100 and Tundra | Tacoma | Toyota Archives

Toyota Forums >> Early Toyota Trucks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cheap/Free mods for 87 4runner 22RE w/5speed??
      #43407 - 11/25/02 10:11 AM

I just want to do something more to my truck. I already have 3" lift in the back..

Things I've done so far:
plugs/wires/fuel filter/radiator/front brakes & calipers/air filter

Things that need to be done:
rear brakes and e-brake assembly (No parking brake now)
Needs new clutch
Steering wheel squeeks now. [Frown]

Anybody have any ideas for free/cheap mods to increase HP and/or longetivity?

I'm thinking !CAT... my current cat is stock with 120K miles.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John Smith
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 12/27/99
Loc: Silver Spring, MD, USA
Re: Cheap/Free mods for 87 4runner 22RE w/5speed??
      #43408 - 11/25/02 10:17 AM

Throw a can of BG44k in the fuel tank to clean up your intake. You should be able to find a can for around $20.

Have you done your timing chain yet? It is due. It is not a small job but is relatively cheap if you do it yourself.

The clutch is not complex but it is a PITA unless you have a body lift and tranny jack.

I know most of these are not performance mods but they will keep your truck living longer. Short of a blower or turbo you are not going to add too much performance to this engine with low buck mods.

[ November 25, 2002, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: John Smith ]

--------------------
John Smith 79 FJ40
87 StdCab w/22R TLCA# 9074

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43409 - 11/25/02 11:10 AM

I have not done timing chain just yet.. but from what I read i'll be doing it soon.. Do I just replace the timing chain and be done with it? Do I have to adjust timing for the engine at all with a timing gun?

For the clutch.. I can lift the truck with a fork lift... and don't have a tranny jack.. I might just try and live with it for the winter. It only slips sometimes in 4'th gear on LONG trips. So its going out, just not sure when.

I will definately do the fuel tank additive. Thanks!!!

I'm all about longetivity and increasing life with this truck. I love it!! Its got 118K miles on it now and I would be VERY pleased to get 200K+ out of it. I couldn't be happier with any other truck.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43410 - 11/26/02 12:25 AM

Hey Magnus,

I've got a ton of low-buck mod ideas... swaybar disconnect, low-profile bumpstops, (DON'T crank your t-bars or get thicker ones, if you plan to wheel), 1" body lift, soft top (for summer), rust prevention/inspection...

Are you near Chicago? So am I, drop me an email at toyota.4x4@att.net, and we'll get together. If you're interested, a few Toyotas are exploring Forest Roads in SW Michigan this Saturday. Basically pre-scouting for challenges next summer, so this trip will be moderate wheeling: we plan to cover alot of ground.

Later,
Kenton

quote:
Originally posted by Magnus:
I have not done timing chain just yet.. but from what I read i'll be doing it soon.. Do I just replace the timing chain and be done with it? Do I have to adjust timing for the engine at all with a timing gun?

For the clutch.. I can lift the truck with a fork lift... and don't have a tranny jack.. I might just try and live with it for the winter. It only slips sometimes in 4'th gear on LONG trips. So its going out, just not sure when.

I will definately do the fuel tank additive. Thanks!!!

I'm all about longetivity and increasing life with this truck. I love it!! Its got 118K miles on it now and I would be VERY pleased to get 200K+ out of it. I couldn't be happier with any other truck.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43411 - 11/25/02 02:53 PM

Hi Kenton, I will drop you an e-mail.. saturday sounds like fun.. I'd also like to bounce some questions off of people.

I already cut off the endlinks on the front sway bar. [Smile]

I'm not sure if my truck can handle moderate wheeling. I need to buy a spare tire and my clutch slips when I've driven the truck for 2+ hours.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43412 - 11/25/02 10:05 PM

do any exhaust mods you can afford. K&N air filter, cut a hole in the airbox, get a high flow catalytic converter and muffler, then a header.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43413 - 11/26/02 10:34 AM

No problem. Drop me an email after the holidays, and we'll get together!

In response to Churnd: in my experience the airflow isn't the big restriction; after you've done other things like put on headers, opened up the exhaust (collector, cat, pipe, muffler) a little (no more than 2-2 1/4"), increased lift/duration with a lumpy cam, and/or bored/smoothed the throttle body then it might be worth doing the air intake better. Until then, I think a K&N is an expensive hassle with little/no improvement, and cutting a hole causes more dirt and water to get to the engine, which shortens its lifetime.

I think the best improvement for air intake is to alter the box for a broad opening as high and cool as possible with large-area, STANDARD autoparts-store stocked, air filter, and put a sticker on the box stating what filter it uses. Unfortunately I haven't seen anyone make the modification that I'm satisfied with (cheap, easy, effective), except a snorkel, which I don't like (too gaudy).

Kenton

quote:
Hi Kenton, I will drop you an e-mail.. saturday sounds like fun.. I'd also like to bounce some questions off of people.

I already cut off the endlinks on the front sway bar. [Smile]

I'm not sure if my truck can handle moderate wheeling. I need to buy a spare tire and my clutch slips when I've driven the truck for 2+ hours.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43414 - 11/26/02 10:51 AM

On the intake note... After doing a larger AFM, cone K&N, different rubber couplings and larger x-over pipe it has made a decent difference. Enough to feel? Im not sure, I did notice a difference doing the larger afm, and cone filter, as those we done at the same time. Doing the larger x-over pipe was noticable in terms of top speed on the freeway, not seat of the pants. Scrounging pick-n-pulls, you can do the intake for under 65 bucks, so its hard to go wrong. also, Im not sure if youd notice any difference without a cam or header.. And right now, its still a stock t-body, soon to be bored 4mm over.

dknight
Mudrunner

Reged: 02/20/00
Loc: NY
      #43415 - 11/26/02 11:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kenton:
[QB] Unfortunately I haven't seen anyone make the modification that I'm satisfied with (cheap, easy, effective), except a snorkel, which I don't like (too gaudy).

gaudy??? A snorkel is cheap insurance. It saved my engine twice now - money well spent. It does attract more attention than I'd like ('cept for the cuties) but I think it is worth it. It won't help with adding power though.

I agree with your other comments regaring 22re intake, 'cept I prefer to use toyota filters.

I wonder if insulating the *long* air intake under the hood might give some cheap easy gains. I don't understand why the Toyota engineers decided to run the air intake above the radiator. Seems silly, but, perhaps the air moves fast enough not to heat up much....?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43416 - 11/27/02 12:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dknight:
quote:
Originally posted by kenton:
[QB] Unfortunately I haven't seen anyone make the modification that I'm satisfied with (cheap, easy, effective), except a snorkel, which I don't like (too gaudy).

gaudy??? A snorkel is cheap insurance. It saved my engine twice now - money well spent. It does attract more attention than I'd like ('cept for the cuties) but I think it is worth it. It won't help with adding power though.

I agree with your other comments regaring 22re intake, 'cept I prefer to use toyota filters.

I wonder if insulating the *long* air intake under the hood might give some cheap easy gains. I don't understand why the Toyota engineers decided to run the air intake above the radiator. Seems silly, but, perhaps the air moves fast enough not to heat up much....?

For ME, it is too gaudy, and it isn't insurance because the odds of me hydro-locking my engine are very low.

It does help with adding (a slight amount of) power, by the way. Cooler (more dense) air. Hood scoops on sports cars are 99% show, but that one percent is real.

Toyota filters are only re-badged generic filters (oil, air, everything). Possibly top-shelf generic filters, but generic nonetheless.

I agree going over the hot radiator may cause a slight drop in performance, however I can't see an easy (underhood) fix. Even trading AFM and battery places may not give enough room.

Red_Chili
Toyota Section Staffer

Reged: 08/24/01
Loc: Littleton, CO
      #43417 - 11/27/02 12:42 AM

I disagree on the oil filters, they are different Toyota vs. most (not all) 3rd party brands. Also, I won't run K&N on bikes or trucks because they pass grit. Try it, put a little filter oil inside your intake tube, do a dusty gritty run, then check your intake after the filter. You will not be pleased.

--------------------
-Bill
'87 4Runner w/ '96 5VZ-FE, 'Red Chili II'
'97 Taco XtraCab 3RZ-FE, 'BlackBean'
TLCA # 13257, Rising Sun 4x4 Club Land Use Coordinator
"He who stops being better stops being good." -Oliver Cromwell

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43418 - 11/26/02 02:26 PM

I'm not really looking to make BIG POWER.. I have a 97 firebird for that. I drive my car around on slicks and skinnies. It's apart in my warehouse right now because I have to readjust the pinion depth. [Frown]

I just want my truck to be more reliable and more effecient with fuel and power.

I will definately do the fuel additive to clean the intake.

I'll probably flus the tranny fluid and transfer case fluid just to be safe too..

I also need to lube up the suspension points and u joints. I've never done that so I'm not sure where to get a greese gun. I also read that I should be using 2 types of greese? Is that REALLY necessary? Can I get away with just one and if so, which one?

Another thing.. When I am driving slow and crank the wheel HARD and go over bumps or stuff, I get very loud suspension creekes. Any ideas here? I realy don't care but I bet others do, like women. [Frown]

I also have a question regarding locking hubs. What are they? Do I have them? If so, how do I use them?

Thanks again guys!

- Keith

Brown
Rock Warrior

Reged: 02/22/02
Loc: Auburn, GA
      #43419 - 11/26/02 03:57 PM

quote:
I'm not really looking to make BIG POWER.. I have a 97 firebird for that. I drive my car around on slicks and skinnies. It's apart in my warehouse right now because I have to readjust the pinion depth. [Frown]

I just want my truck to be more reliable and more effecient with fuel and power.

I will definately do the fuel additive to clean the intake.

I'll probably flus the tranny fluid and transfer case fluid just to be safe too..

I also need to lube up the suspension points and u joints. I've never done that so I'm not sure where to get a greese gun. I also read that I should be using 2 types of greese? Is that REALLY necessary? Can I get away with just one and if so, which one?

Another thing.. When I am driving slow and crank the wheel HARD and go over bumps or stuff, I get very loud suspension creekes. Any ideas here? I realy don't care but I bet others do, like women. [Frown]

I also have a question regarding locking hubs. What are they? Do I have them? If so, how do I use them?

Thanks again guys!

- Keith

There's lots of good technical info on other parts of this site: 4x4 Wire's Toyota Section .

Concerning your front end noise, it's the steering stops rubbing against the lower control arms. Read more about it on this page , and how to fix it. A little dab of grease will do ya!

It looks like you have an 88 runner, so you should have locking hubs. My 88 truck has them. Look at the center of the hub on the front wheels, and if you've got a little dial on there that you can turn from "free" to "lock", then you, my friend, have locking hubs. You can see how to rebuild them here if that needs to be done.

Best of luck. You should have no problem getting 200,000 miles out of your Toyota. Even if you beat the crap out of it. [Mr.T]

--------------------
Jeremy
SOLD:1988 Toyota 4x4 | 22RE | W56 | EB 270 cam

markshoreline
Wheeler

Reged: 05/02/02
Loc: Shoreline, WA
      #43421 - 12/01/02 11:14 AM

Check out Roger Brown's site. He posts on this board all the time. He has tons of cheap and free mods that will keep you busy for years! Mark

--------------------
'87 4Runner with factory alloy wheels, 225X15 tires, 4banger and 5spd, 26 mpg @60-62 mph, 225k

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43422 - 12/02/02 02:48 PM

Thanks guys. [Smile]

I have an 88 and I believe it has the auto-locking hub in front as I have to do a little reverse to kick it out.

Here's a question.. I get 15mpg no matter what I do really. Is that right for a 4 cyl? I have stock gearing with 31" tires. I do believe my speedo is accurate.

riverrat
Wheeler

Reged: 04/05/00
Loc: Corvallis, Oregon, USA
      #43423 - 12/04/02 08:44 AM

Brian@FROFab wrote: "Scrounging pick-n-pulls, you can do the intake for under 65 bucks, so its hard to go wrong."

Could you explain this one please, or provide a link that does?

thx, riverrat

John Smith
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 12/27/99
Loc: Silver Spring, MD, USA
      #43424 - 12/04/02 10:47 AM

quote:
Brian@FROFab wrote: "Scrounging pick-n-pulls, you can do the intake for under 65 bucks, so its hard to go wrong."

Could you explain this one please, or provide a link that does?

thx, riverrat

What Brian means is that you need to search through your local junkyards for parts from other cars and trucks. He found a larger intake from a different vehicle and installed that along with a different AFM. These coupled with a high flow cone filter and he realized better wide open throttle response.

--------------------
John Smith 79 FJ40
87 StdCab w/22R TLCA# 9074

Red_Chili
Toyota Section Staffer

Reged: 08/24/01
Loc: Littleton, CO
      #43425 - 12/05/02 12:40 AM

quote:
...Here's a question.. I get 15mpg no matter what I do really. Is that right for a 4 cyl? I have stock gearing with 31" tires. I do believe my speedo is accurate.

Your speedo is a tad inaccurate, maybe ~10%, since your truck came with 29" tires and you are running 31s. You are covering more miles for every gallon than your speedo thinks you are. Measure indicated miles versus mile marker miles on a 10 (or better, 100) mile stretch and divide it to find your error percentage.

I get 16.5-17 MPG in the city set up as below (35" on 5.29 gears, with air drag from ~4" lift), worse if snow/cold/4x4 and very slow speeds commuting, or if going like the proverbial flaming bat to Moab over the hill. Sometimes approaching 20 MPG highway, under 65 that is. You should do slightly better unless you keep your foot in the throttle body or cruise the engine regularly under 2700 RPM or so.

[ December 04, 2002, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Bill_Morgan ]

--------------------
-Bill
'87 4Runner w/ '96 5VZ-FE, 'Red Chili II'
'97 Taco XtraCab 3RZ-FE, 'BlackBean'
TLCA # 13257, Rising Sun 4x4 Club Land Use Coordinator
"He who stops being better stops being good." -Oliver Cromwell

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43426 - 12/04/02 03:23 PM

Yea, I have to do the highway trick then..

It's always good putting less miles on than actual righT??? [Wink]

riverrat
Wheeler

Reged: 04/05/00
Loc: Corvallis, Oregon, USA
      #43427 - 12/04/02 06:04 PM

John Smith wrote: "What Brian means is that you need to search through your local junkyards for parts from other cars and trucks. He found a larger intake from a different vehicle and installed that along with a different AFM. These coupled with a high flow cone filter and he realized better wide open throttle response."

Thanks, John, I guess I wasn't too clear.

I understand the searching local auto recyclers part. I've already done that for other miscellaneous parts for my 88 4runner- clock, maplights, SR5 seats, center console, some tailgate parts and front skidplate to name a few.

I also understand the goal of upgrading the intake. What I was interested in was the specific parts that have been, or can be used to do this on a 22re.

I imagine there are any number of parts/donor vehicles that might work. I was hoping to learn from others which one(s) actually DO work, rather than reinvent the wheel and learn by trial and error.

Brian's post and specific reference to "under $65" indicated to me he had done this upgrade, so I was hoping he could explain exactly what parts he used, but most importantly, what kind of vehicle he got the them from. That way, I can look for the same kind of donor vehicle.

That is what I was trying to convey.

[ December 04, 2002, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: riverrat ]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  4Crawler, kewlynx 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 430

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums