4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Mitsubishi Trail Talk Forums

More Mitsubishi on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Mitsubishi Section | Mitsubishi Tech
4x4Wire TrailTalk Mitsubishi Forums: Mitsubishi 4x4 and SUV Tech | Mitsubishi Diesels | Mitsubishi Archives

Mitsubishi Forums >> Mitsubishi 4x4 & SUV Tech

Pages: 1
TheViper
Wheeler

Reged: 04/02/11
Loc: Oregon, USA
95 Instrument Panel
      #1245574 - 05/27/11 11:03 PM

So my tachometer doesnt work, its not even intermittent. Id like to go to the junk yard and get a whole new instrument panel for it (I need lots of indicator lights also).

Anyways...what years instrument panel are compatible with my 1995 SR Montero? And will i be able to adjust the mileage on the odometer?

Thanks

--------------------
1995 Montero SR

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LandRaiderModerator
Forum Moderator

Reged: 09/04/01
Loc: Ocean Springs, MS
Re: 95 Instrument Panel [Re: TheViper]
      #1245583 - 05/28/11 08:45 AM

First of all it may not be your tach that is bad. Have you checked the - side of the coil to make sure it is hooked up. It may all be in the same connector on a gen2, but check it anyway.

I dont know about year overlap compatibility, but the speedo unit with the odometer in it should swap into a new housing.... OR you can refurb your housing.. which is what I would do.

Take your cluster that you KNOW has all the correct indicators in all the correct places, and put all new lamps in it, and put in the new tach.

My experience with clusters is that when junkyarding, they all seem to be a LIL different.

Ive got a hybrid unit in my 4.3 swapped truck.... V6 tach, 4 cylinder speedo, 4 cylinder fuel gauges... In Gen 1's the V6 clusters are a lil nicer... they have better lighting, and the high beam indicator is in the tach.

Ive also got a hybrid unit in my diesel rig... It is a cluster from a diesel pajero from Europe. The diesel Tachs are different... They pick up on the hall effect switch on the injector pump rather than the collapsing field of the gas motors coil. Also the speedo does not have the stupid "unleaded fuel only" text printed on it. All the indicator lamps are WAY WAY different.

Everything is easy, and at least you can mix and match pretty easily.

--------------------
87 Raider 4D56td v5MT1
31's..Basically Stock

ryany
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: 95 Instrument Panel [Re: LandRaider]
      #1245590 - 05/28/11 11:20 AM

X2 on what Curtis said.

You can disassemble your instrument cluster and swap out just the tachometer guts from a junkyard cluster - then you won't have to mess with the odometer. If you have indicator lights not working then you just need to replace the bulbs - if you end up with a junkyard cluster you'll have plenty of spare bulbs, just determine which ones are burnt out before you remove the cluster from your Montero.

--------------------
95 Montero SR 3.5
OME shocks & springs, cranked torsion bars, 2" body lift, 3" gas tank lift, 4.90 gears, Aussie front locker, factory rear locker, Aisin manual hubs, Roger Brown Rock Sliderz, 315/75r16 (35") BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s on 16x8 Eagle Alloys, custom 2 1/4" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler

Edited by ryany (05/28/11 11:22 AM)

TheViper
Wheeler

Reged: 04/02/11
Loc: Oregon, USA
Re: 95 Instrument Panel [Re: LandRaider]
      #1245593 - 05/28/11 12:07 PM

Quote:

First of all it may not be your tach that is bad. Have you checked the - side of the coil to make sure it is hooked up. It may all be in the same connector on a gen2, but check it anyway.

can u explain this further? Not sure what you mean.

It is good to know i can just swap the tach and not the whole thing

--------------------
1995 Montero SR

ryany
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: 95 Instrument Panel [Re: TheViper]
      #1245594 - 05/28/11 12:13 PM

I believe your tach signal comes from the ECM since your engine has a coil-on-plug design. It's possible that you have a wiring issue but it won't be from your coils - you'd have to get the FSM and figure out where your tachometer gets its input from by using the factory wiring diagrams (that is, unless someone else here on the forum knows that info off the top of their head and chimes in with it).

--------------------
95 Montero SR 3.5
OME shocks & springs, cranked torsion bars, 2" body lift, 3" gas tank lift, 4.90 gears, Aussie front locker, factory rear locker, Aisin manual hubs, Roger Brown Rock Sliderz, 315/75r16 (35") BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s on 16x8 Eagle Alloys, custom 2 1/4" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler

Scottie2113
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 05/18/03
Loc: Fort Huachuca, AZ
Re: 95 Instrument Panel [Re: ryany]
      #1246024 - 06/04/11 09:06 AM

There are 3 components all connected with same wire: tach, ECM, and power transistor. My 97 ls tach doesn't work all the time and I have swapped all components with no improvement. Wire is connected in mine as it works from time to time. I think the tach is sensitive to good wire connectivity and over time the resistance builds up in the wire. There is a factory splice at passenger firewall where the 3 wires come together before entering cabin. I have also re- spliced this connection with no luck. If you know all 3 compents are connected, try running new wires altogether maybe 14 awg to increase conductivity. I have a spare gauge with adj shock indicator on it as well as extra ECM and power transistor that I might sell if interested for a 97 so you would have to verify compatibility to 95. Good luck!

--------------------
97 Montero SR Mitsu Rear Diff Lock ARB Front Diff Lock 4.9 R&P 3.15 transfer 43:1 crawl ratio 2" susp lift 2" body lift 2" Gas Tank Lift 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x10 Dick Cepeks Rock Sliderz Custom rear bumper ARB front winch bumper 12,000 lbs MM Winch

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LandRaider, PHIL, off-roader 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 994

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums