4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Kia Forums
4x4Wire TrailTalk Kia Forums: Kia Talk | Kia Sportage and Sorento Tech

Kia Forums >> Kia Sportage & Sorento Tech

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Moffe
Need a Spot

Reged: 12/27/10
Loc: SWEDEN
Replaced vacuum to the 4wd system, now what? (Sportage -00 manual)
      #1231422 - 12/28/10 05:10 PM

Ok so I replaced the vacuum hoses with new ones. Bypassed the metallines and connected to the T connecteor directly but nothing happens. There is vacuum to the solenoid but not at the end of it. There is also power to it so there is no connection problem there but I noticed that I can rotate a switch on the bottom side of the solenoid. What is this for?

Any ideas??

--------------------
Have fun

Edited by Moffe (12/29/10 02:00 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
londart
Wheeler

Reged: 02/10/09
Loc: Idaho
Re: Replaced vacuum hoses, now what? [Re: Moffe]
      #1231426 - 12/28/10 07:04 PM

WHAT SOLENOID?

--------------------
Lonnie
Auto Parts Professional
95 sportage sold but not forgotten

DamKiaModerator
Kia Moderator

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
      #1231429 - 12/28/10 08:12 PM

Need a heap more information for us to even know what you are on about...

Start at the beginning, realizing there is more than one vacuum hose and more than one solenoid in a Sportage.

--------------------
2002 Sporty , Ironman 2.5" spring, 2" body, 15 x 7 ROH wheels, K&N, 15 x 10.5 Simex Centipedes, Powerchip 91.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!"

Sportege_Panicmech
Mudrunner

Reged: 12/03/09
Loc: Cda, Idaho
Re: Replaced vacuum hoses, now what? [Re: DamKia]
      #1231463 - 12/29/10 01:29 AM

I'm guessing he's talking about the 4WD hub system. But again: total guess. The swivel thingy at the bottom of the 4wd vacuum solenoid is not a switch. Just a vent cap. Total shoot from the hip here in regards to which solenoid.

--------------------
Videos of my Sportage in 30" of snow and doing reverse 4wd cookies
Panicmech Cardomain - Headlight 'tinting' tutorial included

Moffe
Need a Spot

Re: Replaced vacuum hoses, now what? [Re: londart]
      #1231466 - 12/29/10 01:49 AM

I totally missed explaining what I was talking about! Sorry guys but it was the 4wd system I meant. I still have no front wheel drive so Im starting to belive its the solenoid thats connected to the "T" connector? Just guessing.

--------------------
Have fun

DamKiaModerator
Kia Moderator

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
      #1231470 - 12/29/10 04:04 AM

Best thing is to ditch the vacuum hubs and get some WARN manual hubs. The vac hubs have a long and troubled history, and there is no point in trying to fix something that is never going to work reliably anyway.

Warn Part Number 60247.

--------------------
2002 Sporty , Ironman 2.5" spring, 2" body, 15 x 7 ROH wheels, K&N, 15 x 10.5 Simex Centipedes, Powerchip 91.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!"

timd75
Wheeler

Reged: 07/20/10
Loc: South Jersey
Re: Replaced vacuum hoses, now what? [Re: DamKia]
      #1231511 - 12/29/10 05:50 PM

If you want to see if the hubs work, bypass the selenoid with a hose connector. I did this and my hubs worked occasionally for a little while, then quit all together. If the selonoid is bad, this will show it. But just last week I ended up replacing with the warn hubs. It really is one of the easiest and best mods to do. I didn't have to remove the wheels and it was just removing 6 bolts per side to remove the hub and bolting the new hub on. Less than 10 minutes per side. Test your seonoid, then get the warns anyway.

--------------------
99 Sportage 2Dr, 1.5" body lift, 30x9.50 Cooper M/T's, high lift, CB, custom bumpers, Warn manual hubs, Tom Tom GPS, snorkel.
99 Jeep Cherokee 3" lift, 31" mud terrains

Sportege_Panicmech
Mudrunner

Reged: 12/03/09
Loc: Cda, Idaho
Re: Replaced vacuum hoses, now what? [Re: timd75]
      #1231550 - 12/30/10 12:15 AM

Lol, well.. I'm holdin out. I've got 145k on my OE WARN vacuum hubs. and they gave me a couple small vacuum hose problems the first 2 years. After replacing the vacuum lines, the hubs have been flawless. One day, I'll probably wind up giving in.

--------------------
Videos of my Sportage in 30" of snow and doing reverse 4wd cookies
Panicmech Cardomain - Headlight 'tinting' tutorial included

Moffe
Need a Spot

Re: Replaced vacuum hoses, now what? [Re: Sportege_Panicmech]
      #1231552 - 12/30/10 12:56 AM

There is vacuum from the hose connected to the intake manifold and through the black canister but when i connect it to the solenoid there is very little vacuum passing through to the hubs. My 4wd light is working in the drivers seat. So we pretty much isolated the problem so the solenoid then. I've ordered Warns Man hubs but wanted to make my self through the snow before they arrived

Ive checked hoses to the wheels. (Replaced)
Hoses to and from the black canister are ok and also to the solenoid. There is no or little air passing through the solenoid though but there is a powersignal sent to it. Have to be the solenoid?

Can I connect the hose from the intakemanifold directly to the "T" to engage the 4wd?

--------------------
Have fun

Edited by Moffe (12/30/10 01:12 AM)

Airdale73013
Rock Warrior

Reged: 08/18/03
Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #1231574 - 12/30/10 09:43 AM

Quote:

There is vacuum from the hose connected to the intake manifold and through the black canister but when i connect it to the solenoid there is very little vacuum passing through to the hubs. My 4wd light is working in the drivers seat. So we pretty much isolated the problem so the solenoid then. I've ordered Warns Man hubs but wanted to make my self through the snow before they arrived

Ive checked hoses to the wheels. (Replaced)
Hoses to and from the black canister are ok and also to the solenoid. There is no or little air passing through the solenoid though but there is a powersignal sent to it. Have to be the solenoid?

Can I connect the hose from the intakemanifold directly to the "T" to engage the 4wd?

The problem with the vaccum hubs is that the inner hub-seal leaks and you loose vaccum and you suck all sorts of crap into the hub. The Warn manual hubs are the best solution, and yes you can take a vaccum source directly to the hubs and if they work they will be locked whenever the engine is running.

--------------------
2009 Sorento LX, 4x4, V6, Auto, Red

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Axe Man, DamKia, DRX350 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1519

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums