4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Toyota Forums
More Toyota on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Toyota Section | Toyota FAQ | Toyota Tech
Toyota Forums: Early Toyota Trucks | 4Runner, FJ Crusier and SUV | T100 and Tundra | Tacoma | Toyota Archives

Toyota Forums >> Early Toyota Trucks

Pages: 1
trashcanman
Getting the Wheeling Fever

Reged: 10/06/07
MAF upgrade for a 22RE?
      #1092613 - 04/22/08 03:58 AM

I heard you can put a mass airflow sensor off of a six cylinder onto a 22re for improved peformance? what year of six cylinder and what vehicle? It wont make it run rich or anything? will it still smog?

Love
Trash

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dcg9381
Rock Warrior

Reged: 10/05/00
Loc: Austin,TX
Re: MAF upgrade for a 22RE? [Re: trashcanman]
      #1092757 - 04/22/08 11:11 PM

Per Jeff Mosk - dunno if this applies to the 22RE:

The 1982 5MGE Supra AFMs are supposed to be plug-and-play with the 22RTE, while the 1983-1985 AFMs from the same motor require the circuit board swap I document on my site. I say "supposed to be plug-and-play" because I haven't done this swap myself and therefore haven't verified the results, but I believe this has been pretty well established by others.

--------------------
22REturbo.net

1988 4Runner
22RTE core, turbocharged, megasquirted...

trashcanman

Reged: 10/06/07
Re: MAF upgrade for a 22RE? [Re: dcg9381]
      #1093011 - 04/24/08 01:15 PM

I heard you could take a MAF out of a six cylinder celica (a 1980 something model) and it was a bolt in upgrade, they looked almost identical but the six cylinder MAF flowed more for a couple extra ponies

mosk
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 02/11/00
Loc: Belmont, CA, USA
      #1093112 - 04/25/08 12:44 AM

It only needs to flow more if it is a restriction. On a stock 22RE, the AFM is not a restriction. On a modified 22RTE, the AFM can be a restriction.

Otherwise, as Darin quoted from my site, the 1982 Supra 5MGE AFM is plug and play for 1986-1988 22RTE motors, but will obviously need some tuning to work. It has also been used with 22REs from similar years. The 1983-1985 5MGE AFM can also be used, but the output signal is the inverse of the 22RE/RTE signal, so unless you swap over the 22RE/RTE resistor board, it will put out the low signal when it should put out the high signal, and vice versa. This means at wide open throttle, it will tell the ECU the motor is idling, and at idle, it will tell the motor to send enough gas for wide open throttle.

Clear?

Bottom line: unless you are making more than 160 rwhp, you don't need this mod.

-Jeff

--------------------
Jeff Moskovitz
1986 turbo 4X4 truck
1998 2.7L/M5 4X4 4Runner

Jeff's 22R-TE page

22RTE Turbo Truck Forum (advertising free)

dcg9381
Rock Warrior

Reged: 10/05/00
Loc: Austin,TX
Re: MAF upgrade for a 22RE? [Re: mosk]
      #1093203 - 04/25/08 04:06 PM

the *other* thing to mention is that toyota tended to match the size of the AFM to the size of the TB.

Changing the AFM without changing the TB size, you're still pushing air through a small hole. It's best to change both.

You can get a relatively bolt-on TB from a similar year Celica, but it doesn't have an IAC, requires some porting of the upper plenum, and modification of the throttle linkage.

Consider going to a late model upper plenum first, then if you have the HP to warrant it, consider the AFM/TB mod. The AFM.

--------------------
22REturbo.net

1988 4Runner
22RTE core, turbocharged, megasquirted...

Bosco83

Reged: 11/27/07
      #1093323 - 04/26/08 10:14 AM

Sorry to hijack your thread but I didn't want to start a whole new thread on the same subject. I was wondering if anyone can find a link on how to relocate the afm to the battery side? I have been searcing everywhere and I can't find any info on it.

Thanks,
Brian

4CrawlerModerator
Toyota 4-Wheeling Forum Moderator

Reged: 01/12/00
Loc: N. California. USA
Re: MAF upgrade for a 22RE? [Re: Bosco83]
      #1093328 - 04/26/08 10:44 AM

Quote:

Sorry to hijack your thread but I didn't want to start a whole new thread on the same subject. I was wondering if anyone can find a link on how to relocate the afm to the battery side? I have been searcing everywhere and I can't find any info on it.

Thanks,
Brian

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Snorkel.shtml#Phase-II

--------------------
[email protected]
[email protected]
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - 4x4Wire discount code

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  4Crawler, kewlynx 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2113

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums