4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Toyota Forums
More Toyota on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Toyota Section | Toyota FAQ | Toyota Tech
Toyota Forums: Early Toyota Trucks | 4Runner, FJ Crusier and SUV | T100 and Tundra | Tacoma | Toyota Archives

Toyota Forums >> T100 & Tundra Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Honger
Rock Warrior

Reged: 04/28/02
Loc: Indianapolis, Indiana
Driveline Vibration - Propellor Shaft Assembly?
      #1044596 - 10/08/07 10:09 PM

Still working on my driveline vibration issue... (see my quoted original post below). Quick question:

If it is the bearing in the double cardan then I have to replace the entire rear propellor shaft don't I? As I'm looking at the FSM it sure looks like the double cardan is not serviceable. All the other u-joints seem to be serviceable by disassembly of the spider bearing. Can anyone confirm? Has anyone done any of this work?

Quote:

I have vibration when I get to the 55 - 65 mph zone. When I'm on the gas it isn't as bad, but when I let off I can really feel the vibration. If I get above 65 it lessens... and when lower than 50 it hs hard to detect.

I'm leaning toward a driveline issue... and after inspecting it seems all the u-joints are snug. I can move the driveline up and down inside the center bearing about a half-inch. Is this bad enough to replace?

Has anyone here replaced their Center Bearing before and found that replacing it fixed problems? I searched the archives and couldn't find any "after replacement" testimonies.

Thanks,
Joel

--------------------
1998 Toyota T100 SR5 ExtraCab 4WD

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
eleet
Mudrunner

Reged: 06/18/05
Loc: Orange, VA
Re: Driveline Vibration - Propellor Shaft Assembly? [Re: Honger]
      #1044673 - 10/09/07 02:53 AM

Did you change the centre bearing?

It's possible that a driveshaft shop would be able to work on the cardan joints. If you price out the Toyota parts, they cost about as much as a down payment on a house.

--------------------
97 T100 4x4
97 328i
95 540i restoration project

ErikBModerator
Toyota Moderator

Reged: 02/23/00
Loc: Auburn, NorCal
Re: Driveline Vibration - Propellor Shaft Assembly? [Re: eleet]
      #1044739 - 10/09/07 10:46 AM

Toyota considers the double cardan joint non-servicable, but driveline shops will service them and NAPA carries the joints to DIY. Its more difficult than a standard u-joint replacement though. This article shows how to disassemble it:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/cvmod

You should be able to tell if it needs work w/o taking it apart though!

--------------------
'97 4Runner, '06 F350, '86 4Runner, '05 WR450
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik

Honger
Rock Warrior

Re: Driveline Vibration - Propellor Shaft Assembly? [Re: ErikB]
      #1044754 - 10/09/07 11:54 AM

Quote:

Toyota considers the double cardan joint non-servicable, but driveline shops will service them and NAPA carries the joints to DIY. Its more difficult than a standard u-joint replacement though. This article shows how to disassemble it:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/cvmod

Thanks for the pointers... good info.

Quote:

You should be able to tell if it needs work w/o taking it apart though!

How? What exactly am I looking for? I get under the truck (while in park but no parking brake on) and try to wiggle to no avail. The only place there is give is in the center carrier bearing.

When I back up there is a "squeak, squeak, squeak" that is proportional to speed.

--------------------

tomr98t
Need a Spot

Reged: 10/09/07
      #1044768 - 10/09/07 12:42 PM

My mechanic recently solved what I was convinced was a driveline vibration/noise on my '98 T. I was absolutely sure the vibration/noise was coming from the left rear wheel. My mechanic has a set of microphones which he attached to various places. Then he put on a set of headphones and drove the truck and operated switches to listen to each microphone. He didn't hear anything unusual in the driveline. For no logical reason, he attached the mics near the front wheels and found the vibration/noise was coming from the left front wheel. There was a ridge of rust on the very outer-most edge of both brake discs, where the brake pads don't contact them. But only the left one was causing the problem. He machined the rotors, replaced the front brake pads and the vibration/noise is gone. Something to think about before you spend big bucks replacing driveline components. Good luck.

ErikBModerator
Toyota Moderator

#1044810 - 10/09/07 03:04 PM

Quote:

When I back up there is a "squeak, squeak, squeak" that is proportional to speed.

Description sounds like a bad u-joint, but its kinda hard to tell over the interweb.

Its much easier to inspect the u-joints and double cardan (aka CV) if you remove the driveshaft. Then you can work each joint back and forth and feel for play and/or resistance. Usually its pretty obvious. About the only thing you can do on the truck is make sure everything is in neutral (no tension in the driveline), and grab each side of each joint and twist back and forth and try to find play. A dry u-joint making a squeak is nearly impossible to find this way, until it wears down so badly that there is play. The needle bearings get pulverized into dust.

--------------------

Honger
Rock Warrior

#1044814 - 10/09/07 03:23 PM

But if it has gotten to the point of squeaking it needs replacing right? Re greasing it might eliminate the squeak but won't get rid of the driveline vibration I'm assuming.

Joel

--------------------

ErikBModerator
Toyota Moderator

#1044824 - 10/09/07 04:18 PM

Yes, most likely. Assuming that is the source of your squeak and/or vibe.

--------------------

Honger
Rock Warrior

#1048373 - 10/23/07 08:22 PM

Quote:

Description sounds like a bad u-joint, but its kinda hard to tell over the interweb.

Its much easier to inspect the u-joints and double cardan (aka CV) if you remove the driveshaft. Then you can work each joint back and forth and feel for play and/or resistance. Usually its pretty obvious. About the only thing you can do on the truck is make sure everything is in neutral (no tension in the driveline), and grab each side of each joint and twist back and forth and try to find play. A dry u-joint making a squeak is nearly impossible to find this way, until it wears down so badly that there is play. The needle bearings get pulverized into dust.

It was indeed a bad u-joint... the one at the rear differential flange. After removing the driveline I found that I couldn't even move that u-joint with my hands. Removed it and found rust, partially-pulverized needle bearings. GREASE YOUR FITTINGS!!!

I replaced the center carrier bearing while I was under there...

I held off on replacing the front flange u-joint (though I had the part). Partially out of impatience, partially out of (if it ain't broke, don't fix it).

Any tips on driveline greasing frequency?

--------------------

kewlynxModerator
Toyota & Classifieds Moderator

Reged: 10/06/02
Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
      #1048380 - 10/23/07 08:46 PM

Follow the interval in your owner's manual, or more frequently if you're a mudpuppy.

--------------------
http://www.walkablecommunities.org/

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

**ubi apis- ibi salus**

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ErikB, Dandeman, kewlynx 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2613

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums