4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Toyota Forums
More Toyota on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Toyota Section | Toyota FAQ | Toyota Tech
Toyota Forums: Early Toyota Trucks | 4Runner, FJ Crusier and SUV | T100 and Tundra | Tacoma | Toyota Archives

Toyota Forums >> Early Toyota Trucks

Pages: 1
Volcom
Getting the Wheeling Fever

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Pueblo, Colorado
EGR Leak and removal questions
      #946888 - 12/08/06 10:29 AM

I've got 500 miles on my rebuilt 22RE and just noticed black crap on the firewall behind the rear of the head / valvecover. The EGR system is leaking somewhere. I'm pretty mad it's leaking since all the gaskets are new.

I've also heard you can remove the EGR systems with blockoff plates. Any negative affects of removing the EGR from a 22RE? I can't believe how much black gunk gets pumped back into the engine. I just got done cleaning the snot out of the head / TB during the rebuild and just thinking about all of the black junk back inside it sucks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Volcom
Getting the Wheeling Fever

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Pueblo, Colorado
Re: EGR Leak and removal questions [Re: Volcom]
      #947013 - 12/08/06 04:34 PM

Anybody have any experience with EGR removal? I've searched this site but not much on removing the EGR.

Adam F
Forum Moderator

Reged: 01/29/01
Loc: Cincinnati, OH
      #947015 - 12/08/06 04:42 PM

I just recently removed mine on my 3.0L. Not enough miles to get any measurable miles, but so far so good. I did some research and found others had bypassed the EGR and had no problems for years.

Nobody makes a 3.0L EGR bypass kit, but you can get one for the 22re here...

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGear/ProductDetails.aspx?PartUniqueID=A892DE49-4C26-45C6-9A84-D715971CF42D

--------------------
88 4R, 350 V8, R150 5 speed Sold
97 4R, stock, daily driver
98 Sienna, kid and dog hauler, wife's ride

willzrunna96
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 10/04/04
Loc: Long Island, NY
      #947017 - 12/08/06 04:43 PM

From what i hear these no point on removing them on 22RE's no perfomance gain. When the system works properly it actually will make the engine run better and cleaner. Ive taken them off and using a piper cleaner or a gun cleaning kit with some TB srap cleaner. and just silicone the gasket, havent had a problem since i did it but i dont own the truck anymore as of last week

--------------------
91 pickup 5.29's US GEAR.35x 12.50 trxus m/t.5 speed swap- SOLD!
96 4Runna limited-toytec/OME lift,diff drop Nitto 285/75/16 Elocked=butter
07 FJ cruiser 3" DR coilovers 285/75/16 nitto TG. allpro sliders

VanillaTHUNDA
Wheeler

Reged: 07/12/06
Re: EGR Leak and removal questions [Re: willzrunna96]
      #947026 - 12/08/06 05:30 PM

I agree, there's no purpose in removing the EGR from a 22RE, with the exception of getting rid of all the vacuum spagetti.

4WD22R
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 10/25/05
Loc: Glendale, Arizona
Re: EGR Leak and removal questions [Re: VanillaTHUNDA]
      #947030 - 12/08/06 05:50 PM

Quote:

I agree, there's no purpose in removing the EGR from a 22RE, with the exception of getting rid of all the vacuum spaghetti.

I assume the same is true for the 22R? Vacuum lines are the bane of my existence

[EDIT] Stupid me.....I just read the LCE site never mind

--------------------
-1986 TOYOTA
22R
ZUK coil rear
Torqued T-Bars
Marlin HD clutch

Newly rebuilt!! Runnin' like a champ!

AZTTORA #492
TLCA member

"I hear there's rumors on the Internets that we're going to have a draft."
--George W. Bush

Edited by 4WD22R (12/08/06 05:52 PM)

Jeffstoyo
Wheeler

Reged: 05/08/06
Loc: Washington state
Re: EGR Leak and removal questions [Re: 4WD22R]
      #947036 - 12/08/06 06:10 PM

You may have a hard time removing the plate on the back of the head, use a 12mm wrench and some high temp silicon to seal the new gasket.I would leave the system in place too.
Good luck and I knowit sucks having to redo gaskets you just did recently.
Jeff

--------------------
It's all good!
83 Shortbed stepside lots of mods
82 Shortbed fully restored
85 Shortbed daily driver
88 4-runner-Wife's daily driver

Blitzkrieg
Need a Spot

Reged: 11/03/04
Re: EGR Leak and removal questions [Re: Jeffstoyo]
      #947191 - 12/08/06 10:00 PM

Removal? Just removed mine and it's not as bad as it looks. Three 12mm fasteners on the head and two on the intake. For wrench and arm clearance to get the other three out(1 nut and 2 bolts), loosen the pipe union first with a crescent wrench or box end and remove the portion attached to the intake . Get something to stand on so you can lean over the engine far enough to reach them and see what your doing. I used a concrete block. Break them free with a 3/8 drive deep well socket and wrench. Remove them w/ a 3/8 stubby socket wrench. Luck to ya

rednekbean
Wheeler

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Oregon, Albany
Re: EGR Leak and removal questions [Re: Blitzkrieg]
      #947469 - 12/09/06 10:26 PM

When you pop the hood of my truck you see the pcv hose and the other larger hose in to the intake, than 1 vaccume line from the fuel rail to the throttle body. the EGR that goes from the intake to the back of the head is gone too.
so basically i have a pcv valve and that is it no joke i can see my entire valve cover.

what the EGR does on the 22re is recurculate the exhaust across the head to help cool the valves as these motors run hot in the head. the other thing is the emmision regulations for importing the vehicle in to the US, hence why we dont have the diesal motors or the 21ru and others

--------------------
92' Pick-up, SAS, gears to make her crawl, 37's , bullet proof motor, and alot of time invested.
06 CRF450R one mean roost flinging machine

Edited by rednekbean (12/11/06 02:52 AM)

J94_4runner
Roll Me Over

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: EGR Leak and removal questions [Re: rednekbean]
      #947471 - 12/09/06 10:36 PM

removed it on my 3.0 about 3yrs ago. makes changing plugs EASY. Keeps the intake side of the motor cleaner also. Only down side is the CEL is on. Doesn't do anything, but it's on.

--------------------
94runner: Dana 44 SAS, 35's, Lockers, gears, winch, rock rails, bumpers, 3"BL, drivetrain lift, Budbuilt cross member, centerforce clutch and MORE! ***FOR SALE*** $8,500
-1985 Supra (STOCK!) FOR SALE $4,000
www.celicasupra.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  4Crawler, kewlynx 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4556

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums