4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Kia Forums
4x4Wire TrailTalk Kia Forums: Kia Talk | Kia Sportage and Sorento Tech

Kia Forums >> Kia Sportage & Sorento Tech

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Snow plow for a Sportage???
      #766353 - 08/10/05 02:16 PM

Has any one seen or used a Sportage to plow snow? If so with kind of plow was used?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Axe ManModerator
Kia Moderator Emeritus

Reged: 03/02/02
Loc: Highland, NY
Re: Snow plow for a Sportage??? [Re: ]
      #766650 - 08/11/05 06:14 AM

I've never seen a Sportage with a snowplow. And I live in snow country. I'm not sure if there's any brand of plow that will fit unless you make major mods to the front.

--------------------
1998 Sportage - Gone.
2004 Honda Civic Coupe.
2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara - She got it.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#766692 - 08/11/05 10:01 AM

a good plow installer should be able to fit one up I would think. A buddy of mine's brother worked at a place and he used to tell me all sorts of different custom plow applications.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#766747 - 08/11/05 11:36 AM

I dont think a sportage is built for plowing snow. you'll probably screw up the front end on it. for plowing, you need something like a 3/4 ton truck, mainly because those have the chassis built for this kind of application, and the engine to push that snow around too.

Airdale73013
Rock Warrior

Reged: 08/18/03
Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #766798 - 08/11/05 01:13 PM

I suspect the Sportage is up to the task of plowing. I assume you are not going to install a 15' blade and use it comercially. The Sportage is not just little and cute, it is at its' core a truck.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#766802 - 08/11/05 01:20 PM

Out of curiosity, what do you drive?

Nevemind.... I just looked up your previous posts and found out that you drive a 2wd ranger that you're trying to convert into a 4x4 right?

You'd be surprised at what a 1st gen sportage can handle. Looks innocent enough but the frame underneath and the way it's built speak for itself.

Now the 2nd Gens... They're unibody.

Quote:

I dont think a sportage is built for plowing snow. you'll probably screw up the front end on it. for plowing, you need something like a 3/4 ton truck, mainly because those have the chassis built for this kind of application, and the engine to push that snow around too.

Edited by kungpao (08/11/05 01:27 PM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#766974 - 08/11/05 08:18 PM

I have seen snow plows at Walmart that are universal(never looked to close to see how much modification needed) they use a winch to raise and the angle is manual. I have seen these installed on a Sidekick, Cherokee and a F150. They say on them that they are not meant to travel on roads so are equiped with quick release. Snowbear is the brand and they have no listing for Kia, but you could check out thier website they may have something that will fit with mods.

Nukeiridium
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 08/08/02
Loc: Mesa, Arizona
      #766981 - 08/11/05 08:31 PM

Does someone actually WANT to plow snow with their Sportage or is this more of a rhetorical question?

--------------------
2002 Sportage 4dr 4x4 soon to undergo an Extreme Makeover!

Calappoyas
Mudrunner

Reged: 06/23/04
Loc: Eugene, Oregon
Re: Snow plow for a Sportage??? [Re: Nukeiridium]
      #767124 - 08/12/05 05:55 AM

Sure, why not? My father lives deep in the high desert and snow plows using his 2dr 1st gen Montero (with tire chains) when ever it snows enough. keeps the snow level from getting too high, and causing a real problem.

--------------------
02 Sportie 5sp 4x4 2dr. 1" Body + 4" Rocksportgear lifts, 31x10.50 Wildcats M/Ts, Manual Hubs, Yakima rack, basket. Redline gear oils
http://www.cardomain.com/id/calapooyas
My beater, 03 Land Rover Freelander SE3

Dave Scott
Trail Leader

Reged: 08/02/01
Loc: san antonio, TX
Re: Snow plow for a Sportage??? [Re: Calappoyas]
      #767149 - 08/12/05 08:25 AM

so we're talking for SMALL jobs, not plowing city streets, right? good, cuz i don't think the Sportage will be well equipped enough, nor really have a desirable amount of power to do much of this so-called "snow-plowing," you speak of.........

my location: south texas- i.e.- me no understand, what is "snow?"

--------------------
95 Sportage w/welded and 5.89 geared dana 44's on 38.5" TSL's.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/341410

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Axe Man, DamKia, DRX350 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3095

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums