4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Toyota Forums
More Toyota on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Toyota Section | Toyota FAQ | Toyota Tech
Toyota Forums: Early Toyota Trucks | 4Runner, FJ Crusier and SUV | T100 and Tundra | Tacoma | Toyota Archives

Toyota Forums >> Early Toyota Trucks

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Adam F
Forum Moderator

Reged: 01/29/01
Loc: Cincinnati, OH
350 swap and gauges/wiring
      #1052214 - 11/07/07 03:49 PM

I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but I'm going to be swapping in a carb'ed Chevy 350 in my 88 4Runner. I was wondering if you guys have any links or anything on how to get my SR5 gauges and wiring working with the Chevy engine.

Will the oil pressure and coolant temp sender wires hook up to the Chevy senders and work with the stock gauges? Same thing with the starter solenoid wire?

What about the tachometer? I thought I remember seeing a link somewhere that showed how to use a resistor, but it was going from a 4cy to a V8, I will be going from a V6 to a V8.

I guess I will have to remove the check engine light bulb from the dash as that will probably be stuck on, right?

What about the alternator? I guess I'll have to figure out if its internal or externally regulated.

Anything else I'm missing? I'm going to use an adapter and my stock R150F trans, so the speedo will still work.

--------------------
88 4R, 350 V8, R150 5 speed Sold
97 4R, stock, daily driver
98 Sienna, kid and dog hauler, wife's ride

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
brentox
Wheeler

Reged: 01/28/03
Loc: crestwood, ky
Re: 350 swap and gauges/wiring [Re: Adam F]
      #1052241 - 11/07/07 05:53 PM

I used toyota sending units and adapted them to the threads in the 350 block, most guage kits come with these or you can find them at summit racing.

The two wire gm alt was easy, hook the #6 guage(the big one) from the toyota alt to the post on the gm alt. i think its a yellow wire on the toyota harness that has 12v on it when the ignition is hot that connects to one of the post on the gm alt, then the other connects to the battery + post. check with wyatt(i gave him the manual that i used, when i sold him my stuff) on that to be exact, i remember putting a 1N48 diode in line with one of those. I think the one that was hot all of the time.

you can add a resitor to go from 6-8 on your tach, i went from 4-8. It was never that accurate so i added an aftermarket one but kept the dash one active because i did not want a dead guage on my dash. you might get a potentiometer and dial it in, then get a resistor of that value. the wiring is a breeze, its the easiest part.

i never had a check engine light come on so i never had to address it.

--------------------
92 Extended Cab 4x4, 3.0 5-Speed Scratched, Dented and Rusted.

Adam F
Forum Moderator

#1109983 - 08/02/08 05:04 PM

Alright, I have started to wire up the engine. I have the OEM Toyota oil and temp senders installed and wired, starter and 4wd switch wires hooked up, now I just need to get a switch 12v hooked to the distributor, and figure out what wire is the tach wire leading to the gauge. I was unable to find a 88 FSM that has the 3vze (found one with a 22r, and a '93 with 3vze but the meter is different)

So, can anyone tell me, on a 1st gen 4Runner/2nd gen pickup with a 3vze, which wire is the tach wire that goes to the gauge in the dash?

--------------------

CJM
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Penticton BC
      #1110071 - 08/03/08 12:40 PM

--------------------
86 4x4 , fiberglass bed , 1/2 doors , hood, etc..
84 Custom 2WD 400HP supra suspension , full frame
83 Trekker SR5
NEW Trekker forum

Adam F
Forum Moderator

Re: 350 swap and gauges/wiring [Re: CJM]
      #1110207 - 08/04/08 04:14 PM

Thanks! Whats that from? Doesnt look like the FSM.

--------------------

bkg
Roll Me Over

Reged: 02/15/01
Loc: Minnesota
      #1110221 - 08/04/08 05:51 PM

Quote:

Will the oil pressure and coolant temp sender wires hook up to the Chevy senders and work with the stock gauges? Same thing with the starter solenoid wire?

Find the chevy pressure sender. Thread in a pipe adapter and fit the toyota pressure sender on that. Do the same for the temp sender. Works great.

For the starter, you can do two things. 1 - run the existing wire to the chevy solenoid. This may or may not work as there are some who say the toyota wiring can't sink enough amperage to do it reliably. 2 - you can have the toyota solenoid wire kick a relay that sends a full 12-volts down to the chevy starter solenoid.

The above is what I did on my 4.3.

Quote:

What about the tachometer? I thought I remember seeing a link somewhere that showed how to use a resistor, but it was going from a 4cy to a V8, I will be going from a V6 to a V8.

Should be the same thing. What you'll need is an adjustable 10K potentionmeter. See Jay's page for details:

Jay's tach mod. You should be able to get it adjusted to read your V8. You'll need a secondary (accurate) tach to set it. And the realization it will never be 100%

Quote:

I guess I will have to remove the check engine light bulb from the dash as that will probably be stuck on, right?

I think... I think the opposite is true.

Quote:

What about the alternator? I guess I'll have to figure out if its internal or externally regulated.

Chevy alt? I bought Downey's adapter to plug right into the Toy harness. That will give you the alt/charge light as well. Or you can run a #2 cable right to the + battery terminal.

Quote:

Anything else I'm missing? I'm going to use an adapter and my stock R150F trans, so the speedo will still work.

What are you doing for fuel lines/pump?

--------------------
Brian K. Gallus
I have nothing important to say.

Adam F
Forum Moderator

#1110225 - 08/04/08 06:00 PM

Quote:

Must not be from a 1988, because my wires dont match those colors.

I pulled the gauge set and I'm going to trace the tach wire from the gauge. There is a purple wire that runs to the gauge, I'm hoping thats it because purple is a common color for the tach signal (even though there is no purple wire on my igniter)

--------------------

Adam F
Forum Moderator

Re: 350 swap and gauges/wiring [Re: bkg]
      #1110227 - 08/04/08 06:09 PM

Quote:

Find the chevy pressure sender. Thread in a pipe adapter and fit the toyota pressure sender on that. Do the same for the temp sender. Works great.

Did that, got them hooked up a few days ago. The oil pressure sender is actually the same exact threads as the chevy block, so it threads right in. But the toyota sender is huge, and wont fit with the dist. in there. So I got a 90 degree adapter and it fits great. The Toy water temp sender was similar threads as Chevy, just smaller. I got an adapter and made it work. I had to move the location of the sender though. The stock sender was threaded into the side of the block, right below the flange of the exhaust manifold. Seems like that would make the sender SUPER hot so I moved it to the top of the intake manifold next to the t-stat housing. Not sure if that will give me an accurate reading of the engine temp or not? Otherwise I might move it to the side of the block, where one of the drain plugs are right now.

Quote:

For the starter, you can do two things.

I am using the stock Toy solenoid wire, hopefully that will work. If not, I'll wire up a Chevy solenoid.

Quote:

Chevy alt?

Yes, a 3 wire internally regulated. I figured out how to wire it....12v wire to the lug terminal, keyed 12 to terminal 1, and a jumper from terminal 2 to the 12v lug.

Quote:

What are you doing for fuel lines/pump?

I removed the stock fuel pump from the sender. I plan on running the stock mech fuel pump and stock Toy lines. Havent figured out how I want to rig up a pickup down into the tank. Probably will just run a steel line with a filter sock down into the tank and fit it to the stock sender.

--------------------

CJM
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Penticton BC
      #1110301 - 08/04/08 11:56 PM

Quote:

from the haynes manual NOT FSM

http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/repair_info/repair_guide/repair_guide.jsp

--------------------
86 4x4 , fiberglass bed , 1/2 doors , hood, etc..
84 Custom 2WD 400HP supra suspension , full frame
83 Trekker SR5
NEW Trekker forum

Edited by CJM (08/04/08 11:57 PM)

Adam F
Forum Moderator

Re: 350 swap and gauges/wiring [Re: CJM]
      #1110366 - 08/05/08 06:22 PM

I figured everything out. Problem with wires and colors was the color of the wire changes at the wire harness. At the back of the clutster harness, and into the body electrical harness, the tach wire is black. After the body harness its blue/white.

For 12v switched power for the HEI distributor and GM alternator, I traced the wire from the back of the clutster that was labled "IGN" for ignition. That should work, shouldnt it? Its a switched 12v. I wont overload anything running the distributor and 12v charge sense on the alternator? I'll keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case!

Next up.....fuel lines. Then vacuum lines. Then plumb the radiator. Then fire it up!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  4Crawler, kewlynx 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3085

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums