4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Mitsubishi Trail Talk Forums

More Mitsubishi on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Mitsubishi Section | Mitsubishi Tech
4x4Wire TrailTalk Mitsubishi Forums: Mitsubishi 4x4 and SUV Tech | Mitsubishi Diesels | Mitsubishi Archives

Mitsubishi Forums >> Mitsubishi 4x4 & SUV Tech

Pages: 1
jfarsang
Rock Warrior

Reged: 05/11/07
Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Tech: How to adjust your torsion bars (lift)
      #1015815 - 06/27/07 02:27 PM

Some people were asking, here's a good post:

http://www.monterosport.net/page7.html

http://www.monterosport.net/page8.html

*taken from the above sites

Torsion Bar Crank information:

*Disclaimer

The following information is for reference only. I am not a mechanic, technician or have anything to do with automotive repair. I am a Mitsubishi enthusiast who got on the internet and collected as much information as possible and attempted to crank the torsion myself.

The following information is from personal experience and opinion. Please work on your truck at your own risk….that said…..here's the beef:

1. With the truck level, measure the distance from the center of the wheel well lip to the top center of your wheel on each side. Mark the distance for each side, it will be important for two reasons. First you want to ensure that both sides are level when you're done, and second you want to limit the lift to no more than 2-3" from stock. (Any higher will cause stress to your CV joints, resulting in accelerated wear and possibly failure). Also, any higher will cause a backward slant (if you don't raise the rear) making it look….well dorky.

2. Now jack up the front end and secure on jackstands to take the pressure off the torsion bars. Slide underneath and find the two adjuster bolts located near the back of both torsion bars (towards the rear of the truck) and spray liberally with some Liquid Wrench. Let it soak in for a few mins. to free up the bolts. Using the socket wrench, tighten up the bolts on both sides the same amount of turns. This will torque up the torsion bars, causing them to lift the front end higher. Now lower the front end and take the same measurements as you did before you began, to determine the lift gained. Repeat the tightening/loosening of the bolts until both sides are level and lift gained is no more than 2-3".

3. Take the truck out for a cruise around the block. This will cause the torsion bars to "settle" and will most likely lower the initial lift height. You will notice a "stiffer" feel to the front end. This is normal, your tightening the torsion springs increasing tension. Now, after the torsion bar suspension has settled after your drive, repeat steps 2 ad 3 until the desired raise is achieved.

4. (Leaf Spring Rear Suspension) The rear can be lifted using either extended shackles (limited lift) or by adding an add-a-leaf (full length recommended).

4. (Coil Spring Rear Suspension) The rear can be lifted using either extended shackles or getting new springs all together. You can also use the air bag suspension helper to increase ride height in the rear. In my MS, I was able to get 0-2" of lift on demand from the drivers seat. Check the Air Lift Suspension information page (link on the top left portion of the page.)

*Important Aftermath:

After the front, rear or both is lifted and you're content with the new height, be sure to take your vehicle to get an alignment, as it will have altered it after the torsion bar lift. The combination of torsion bar lift does firm up the ride, but in my opinion improves it and in no way degrades it. The Montero Sport 2000 is already a soft riding suspension, and after the lift body roll and nose dive is almost entirely eliminated. It makes the MS more car-like in the ride. Be warned though, if you like the soft cushy ride of your MS and do not want a stiffer suspension, do not attempt this!

--------------------
... good.. bad.. I'm the guy with the gun.

94 Spacegear 2.8 - Build is on
89 Montero - Project
92 Pajero Exceed - Gone to a good home
92 Delica Chamonix - Gone to a good home

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hazy_daze
Roll Me Over

Reged: 05/22/07
Loc: Athens, Georgia
Re: Tech: How to adjust your torsion bars (lift) [Re: jfarsang]
      #1015899 - 06/27/07 04:53 PM

Did you write this up yourself? WOW, great job The pics are excellent and very complete. I even like the editorial about ride quality and such.

--------------------
Fasteddy's advice is occasionally sound...

JohnnyBfromPeoria
Trail Leader

Reged: 06/10/02
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Tech: How to adjust your torsion bars (lift) [Re: hazy_daze]
      #1015968 - 06/27/07 08:24 PM

I've never jacked mine up to do the front lift. And I use an air rachet, 'cause it's sometimes a lot of turns. Just make sure to wear eye protection due to all the crap that will fall off the truck and into your face.

Also, no mention of the bump stops and trimming...

John B.

--------------------
'87 Raider 2.6 Turbo Auto, Under Construction
'95 Montero SR, 35x12.5/15 BFG M/T KM-2's, Rock sliders, Qtr panel chop, gas tank lift, 2" BL, Aisins
'86 SWB, 2" BL, 33" BFG KM-2's, 2.4l KM-148
2012 Chevy Camaro LS V6/M6 IPF S/C

CapnCrunch
Trail Leader

Reged: 12/18/04
Loc: Crawlorado
Re: Tech: How to adjust your torsion bars (lift) [Re: JohnnyBfromPeoria]
      #1015984 - 06/27/07 08:58 PM

I cranked mine without jacking the truck up off of the tires...just did it with a static load. Used a regular 3/8" Craftsman ratchet. Cranked the front end up 2 inches and, to be honest, I don't notice any difference between how it is now and the feel of the ride before. It's just as smooth. My upper bumpstops are trimmed half-way down.

--------------------
 _________
|_|_|\____\___
l-----[O]≡≡≡≡[O]
()_)()_)-----)_)

Stay the Trail!

Angelo
Roll Me Over

Reged: 02/21/02
Loc: Charlotte NC
      #1016032 - 06/27/07 10:52 PM

Woooow! Thats clean!

Great site and write up So easy, even a Caveman can do it!

--------------------
99JAOS2"& OME 2"body 4.90s ARB HS9500i Skids&Ladder 16"315BFG JAOSRemote& Rack 3Row Rad IPF back& Searchlite 33TSL StreetLock HID Overhead Console/CB switchPanel FrARB RrLocker TJMSnorkel 160AAlt Sliders 2nd Tranny Cooler QuickAirII& Tank Rear frame/tank Lift

stony-man
Web Wheeler

Reged: 11/06/02
Loc: Ohio - Northeast/Centralish
Re: Tech: How to adjust your torsion bars (lift) [Re: Angelo]
      #1016034 - 06/27/07 10:56 PM

Hey, you're not talking about me, are you? I'm going to bookmark this thread, and we'll see if it's easy enough for a Stoneman to do it.

Mad_Scientist
Roll Me Over

Reged: 04/25/06
Loc: An Englishman in Huntersville ...
Re: Tech: How to adjust your torsion bars (lift) [Re: stony-man]
      #1016225 - 06/28/07 01:49 PM

Yeah, no need to jack up the truck. I did mine with a rachet and trimmed the bump stops too. I just reset the chamber to 0' using some homemade spacers and a spirit level. Tyre wear has been even ever since.

Cranking the t-bars will NOT change the ride quality, effective spring rate or anything like that. The t-bars are NOT pre-loaded more by cranking them. If anything it will result in more body roll since the truck has a higher centre of gravity after the lift. Otherwise, thanks for the write-up

--------------------
'97 Montero 'LSR' - 4.6 gears & factory rear locker, 33" Procomp muds on 15x8 steelies, 50mm coil spacers, T-bar crank, Airlift, sans rear sway, 50mm rear frame & fuel tank lift, Aisins, ARB front bumper + 10k lb winch, 50mm DIY body lift, rock sliders, cut rear quarter panels...

jfarsang
Rock Warrior

Reged: 05/11/07
Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Re: Tech: How to adjust your torsion bars (lift) [Re: Mad_Scientist]
      #1016309 - 06/28/07 07:04 PM

Took it from the forum across the pond.

No need to jack it up.

Just a few cranks and that'll do it.

--------------------
... good.. bad.. I'm the guy with the gun.

94 Spacegear 2.8 - Build is on
89 Montero - Project
92 Pajero Exceed - Gone to a good home
92 Delica Chamonix - Gone to a good home

redbull
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 04/28/06
      #1016378 - 06/28/07 11:11 PM

I found my weekend project!

--------------------
1991 Mitsubishi Pajero XP TD LWB family hauler.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LandRaider, PHIL, off-roader 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5952

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums