4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

Isuzu TrailTalk Forums
More Isuzu on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Isuzu Section | 4x4Wire Isuzu Tech
Isuzu Forums: Isuzu 4x4 and SUV Talk | Isuzu 4x4 and SUV Tech | Isuzu Diesel

Isuzu Forums >> Isuzu 4x4 & SUV Tech

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Trooper SAS axles
      #255267 - 05/19/03 01:55 AM

I'm abandoning my 10 bolt chevy front as a candidate for the front of my trooper. Looking for something smaller. I only have 127 ft. lbs of torque in my diesel.

Dana 30 or better yet, Dana 35 with reverse cut gears would be one strong candidate. Keep weight down, and plenty of strength for my reduced weight and small engine. (C223T)

Anyone know where one can be found?

[ May 19, 2003, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: Robt ]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RobG
Roll Me Over

Reged: 09/23/00
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC, USA
Re: Trooper SAS axles
      #255268 - 05/19/03 11:53 AM

Stick with D44 or a Toy 8". Both of these offer the best range of affordability, reduced weight, strength and aftermarket support.

D30 isn't bad for lightweight, smaller tire vehicles, but the things i don't like about it are small balljoints and brakes, sealed wheel bearings ($100+ to replace), 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, and no manual hubs (unless you spend $$$ for the Warn conversion kit). For not much more money, you could have a stronger, more robust D44. And weight difference between the two is very negliable.

as for a D35, i'm not familar with D35 front applications, but any Jeeper will tell you stay far, far way from the D35.

-Rob

--------------------
Robert Gorrell
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 38x13 TSLs, spooled D60 front, 14bff rear locked by detriot, high steer w/ hydro, dual Isuzu tcases.

paulevans76
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 07/16/01
Loc: Greenville, NC
      #255269 - 05/20/03 11:19 AM

You could get a D30 out of a CJ and put manual hubs on it. I can't remember if it's warn or superior, but I saw in a 4x rag a set of 30 spline shafts for the D30, and a new arb to fit between them. You could get CTM u-joints and upgrade the outers too for a good solid D30. It would cost a bit though.

Paul

--------------------
88 Troop - Posing yard art

RobG
Roll Me Over

Reged: 09/23/00
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC, USA
      #255270 - 05/20/03 11:46 AM

You could get a D30 out of a CJ and put manual hubs on it.
yes, you can use CJ D30 parts to convert your D30 to 5 on 5.5 (CJs used this pattern). You can also fork out the money for the warn kit to do this. But you can't ever take a D30 up to a 6 lug pattern, just not enough meat on the hub.

You could get CTM u-joints and upgrade the outers too for a good solid D30. It would cost a bit though.
yea, but you're still left over with a small ring/pinion, small balljoints, small brakes. and an all around marginal axle that you've sunk a ton of money into and can't upgrade any further. I tell jeepers this all the time, why sink so much into building on top of a marginal platform.

-Rob

--------------------
Robert Gorrell
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 38x13 TSLs, spooled D60 front, 14bff rear locked by detriot, high steer w/ hydro, dual Isuzu tcases.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#255271 - 05/20/03 04:53 PM

I dont know of any Dana 30 or 35 front SAS on any Isuzus. They are all D-44s or Toyotas (including one Land Cruiser axle) If you check the Toy section, you should find tons of info on TOY/SAS with Toy and Dana-44 (wider) conversions. This could help you with your dimension information .... Regardless of your rated engine torque, larger tires add stress to your front end. Go beefy........ [Nerd]

Sturdy
Wheeler

Reged: 01/05/02
Loc: Farmington, NM
      #255272 - 05/22/03 12:56 AM

I have an 83 front toyota axle, which I may be willing to part with. It is geared with 4.56 Currie gears, Detroit locker, Aisin manual hubs and other goodies. If you are interested I could send you a pic. The axle is in College Station, TX so it would not be difficult getting the axle to you.
Let me know if you are interested.
Mike

--------------------
Mike
04 Tundra
01 Discovery
93 Trooper RS- Lifted, Locked- SOLD
93 Trooper RS- Teras, Lifted, Locked- ROLLED&SOLD
87 Trooper-Lift-SOLD
90 Trooper-Teras and lifts-SOLD
96 Trooper-Graveyard

houlsterModerator
Isuzu Moderator

Reged: 12/29/99
Loc: Mesa, AZ
      #255273 - 05/21/03 02:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Robt:
I'm abandoning my 10 bolt chevy front as a candidate for the front of my trooper. Looking for something smaller. I only have 127 ft. lbs of torque in my diesel.

Dana 30 or better yet, Dana 35 with reverse cut gears would be one strong candidate. Keep weight down, and plenty of strength for my reduced weight and small engine. (C223T)

Why polish a turd? You can sink a ton into a 30 front end and still end up with a POS axle. A 35 front end would be better (not sure what they were in other than Ranger's, but that might be TTB and/or driver's side drop as well), but it's going to be harder and more expensive than a 44.

Axle weight is a non-issue. I guarantee you won't notice the marginal increase in weight a 44 is going to have over a 30 or 35 (unless maybe if you use one of the HD 44's with 1/2" wall tubing). You may consider your diesel under-powered, but tire size and gearing will effect you *far* more than any extra weight of a 44 or Toy front end.

You want small and lightweight? Use a Toy mini-truck axle. Add Longfields if you're gonna use larger tires.

You want width and strength? Use a 44 or an FJ80 front. Both are still relatively light weight axles. You can always add additional strength eventually with CTM's and custom shafts on the 44, or Longfield treated birfields and shafts on the 80 axle. The 80 axle costs a lot more than a 44 (initially anyways. with all the upgrades, cost is about the same either way), but you also get a front driveshaft-friendly high pinion, reverse cut gears and possibly a factory e-locker.

--Dan

[ May 21, 2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: houlster ]

randii
4x4Wire.com Managing Editor Emeritus

Reged: 08/02/99
Loc: Fair Oaks, CA USA
      #255274 - 05/21/03 02:36 PM

I'm not gonna be as rough as Dan, but I agree with his intent.

The Dana 30 is only negligibly lighter than the Dana 44, and probably about the same as a Toyota truck axle.

Randii

--------------------
Randy Burleson
4x4Wire Managing Editor Emeritus
Mongrel Isuzu Amigo

matthew
Body Damage is Cool

Reged: 01/04/00
Loc: Richmond, VA
      #255275 - 05/21/03 04:24 PM

after looking at D60 parts for months it all looks weak...

but, i vote 100% for at least a D44 in a trooper......

the d44, isuzu 12 bolt is a very cool matched combo.......throw in some 5.38's and you are ready to rock.

--------------------
'93 RS 3.2L - DD/trail build
'97 7.3L Powerstroke - tow rig
'71 FJ40 - V-8, nv4500, atlas, D60, 14B - current build

Owner: http://www.INDEPENDENT4x.com

m-f 9am-6pm EST. 804-550-0480

FIEND
Rock Warrior

Reged: 10/23/01
Loc: 15 miles from nowhere ,Indiana
      #255276 - 05/21/03 06:21 PM

Most of the Jeepers I know within the first few weeks of ownership of the tubs the scrap the D30's or D35's depending on what they own all for D$$'s.The only way to go.Aftermarket support is great for D44's and just as a tease to show you what to look for if you go D30 or D35...
As per Summit...D35 superior upgrade kit,879.95
As per ultimate off road unlimited...same kit 899
All this is just to bring them up to 30 spline with a detroit locker.In my opinion when I do mine it is going D44....Not blowing my money on the 30's. [Pirate]

--------------------
I got your Jeep thing and now it burns when I pee!

http://www.mwior.com/ The "Official" web page for an "Official" MWIOR!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  jezeric, houlster, Jim_Paget, mlclark, strawmyers 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2557

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums