4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums
RUST BULLET AUTOMOTIVE
Extreme Terrain

TrailTalk Forums | 4x4Wire | 4x4Voice | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Wire on: FaceBook | Google+

4x4Wire Toyota Forums
More Toyota on 4x4Wire: 4x4Wire Toyota Section | Toyota FAQ | Toyota Tech
Toyota Forums: Early Toyota Trucks | 4Runner, FJ Crusier and SUV | T100 and Tundra | Tacoma | Toyota Archives

Toyota Forums >> Early Toyota Trucks

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

3.0 valve adjust question.
      #821265 - 12/11/05 06:03 PM

Hi, I bought a Haynes repair manual. I was looking for Valve adjustment info on the 1991 3.0. All it said was"this should be adusted by a professional". Well I was lookin to do it myself. Does anyone know what the valve lash should be?And do I check it with feeler gauges or do I need to check it with a dial indicater?I haven't torn the valve covers off yet,I was just asking so I know what tools to bring home from work before I start. Thanks----Tom

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ganoid
Mudrunner

Reged: 02/11/04
Loc: Salem, Oregon
Re: 3.0 valve adjust question. [Re: ]
      #821267 - 12/11/05 06:13 PM

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/engine/64tuneup.pdf

this is a link to the factory service manual listed at the top of the form. Its a 93 manual but is the same for the 90 as well. You will need adobe acro reader to view it but its a free program.

--------------------
90 Xcab V6
3.0 Rebuilt/Balanced
P/P w/OS valves
Downey Hdrs,Jacobs Ign
5.29's,Tru Trac+Lockright
4"TG SAS+Rear Kit on 35's
(DOA Racing = $1200 lesson )
www.performancecylinderheads.com

OOP'S
Roll Me Over

Reged: 04/14/00
Loc: Roseville, CA, Gateway to the ...
Re: 3.0 valve adjust question. [Re: Ganoid]
      #821285 - 12/11/05 07:04 PM

Not real easy to do on the 3.0. They are adjusted with different thickness shims. Best thing to do is to run them first then go to the dealer and get the shims that you need!!!!

--------------------
David Fritzsche
1990 Ex-Cab V-6,5-speed, with a few mods
04.5 CTD Dodge 2500 Ram--Tow Rig
Roseville, CA

"Serenity through Sobriety"

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 3.0 valve adjust question. [Re: OOP'S]
      #831786 - 01/08/06 08:51 PM

I know this sounds like a dumb question. But here it goes! Do you check the 3.0 valve lash the same as any other engine? By turning the cam lobe straight away from the lifter and then checking the lash with a feeler guage?Because my 3.0 is making a noise that sounds just like a loose valve lash,But I just checked the lash the way I described,and all I found was two that were too tight.None that were way loose.Thanks for the help---Tom

OOP'S
Roll Me Over

Reged: 04/14/00
Loc: Roseville, CA, Gateway to the ...
      #831791 - 01/08/06 08:57 PM

You always check valve lash with the rocker on the heel of the cam!

--------------------
David Fritzsche
1990 Ex-Cab V-6,5-speed, with a few mods
04.5 CTD Dodge 2500 Ram--Tow Rig
Roseville, CA

"Serenity through Sobriety"

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 3.0 valve adjust question. [Re: OOP'S]
      #831792 - 01/08/06 08:59 PM

What do you mean(heel)of the cam?Thanks---Tom

Anonymous
Unregistered

#831801 - 01/08/06 09:20 PM

Is there a possibility of the fuel injectors making a ticking that sounds like a valve? Thanks---Tom

Wyatt
Roll Me Over

Reged: 11/24/99
Loc: Sellersburg, IN
      #831811 - 01/08/06 09:35 PM

It's not that difficult, but it is time consuming. It will take a special tool to compress and hold the spring bucket.
Simple feeler guages will work, but you need to carefully record each cylinder and, using table in the manual, determine what over or under size shim is needed. I made a list, then went to the stealer and was able to pick them out of their shim kit for $8 each!

--------------------
I'm your Huckleberry
96 4Runner LTD,S/C,headers,2.5 w/ 285's
89 4Runner SR5 V6,locked,33's
Wyatt's Toys
Offroad Pics

CORunner93
Rock Warrior

Reged: 03/02/04
Loc: Colorado
      #831814 - 01/08/06 09:36 PM

Yes. The injectors in my old 3.0 used to tick like crazy. I found out it was them AFTER I tore the top half of the motor apart and checked the valve lash.......Do'e.

You should still check your valve lash though. particularly if you've got a lot of miles on the motor

--------------------
'93 4Runner - 3.4L 5VZ-FE, 2" body lift, on-board-air system, custom gauge cluster, rear e-locker, electric fan, custom built front and rear bumpers, sliders, 4,88 gears...all on 33x12.5's.

J94_4runner
Roll Me Over

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: 3.0 valve adjust question. [Re: CORunner93]
      #831833 - 01/08/06 10:23 PM

Ok, what is valve lash? I thought you just used a feeler gauge to check the gap between the round or non-bump part of the cam and the thing it hits.. rocker arm. and you get the shims you need. so what is this "valve lash"?

And I already bought my special tool kit for the 3.0 valve adjustment. came with pliers and a metal bar thing.

--------------------
94runner: Dana 44 SAS, 35's, Lockers, gears, winch, rock rails, bumpers, 3"BL, drivetrain lift, Budbuilt cross member, centerforce clutch and MORE! ***FOR SALE*** $8,500
-1985 Supra (STOCK!) FOR SALE $4,000
www.celicasupra.com

Edited by J94_4runner (01/08/06 10:24 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  4Crawler, kewlynx 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1599

Rate this topic

Jump to

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums