Bill_R
(Wheeler)
02/12/05 12:28 AM
Re: T100 Timing Order

OK, here goes. I am trying to take this from the factory service manual, so it may not be clear. I don't have a scanner, so there is no way to load a diagram in here for you. I am assuming that the crankshaft pulley is on, as well as the timing belt being and tight.

You may have to start at the crankshaft first, then go to the cams.

1. Align the groove of the crankshaft timing pulley with the timing mark of the oil pump.

2. Align the installation mark on the timing belt with the drilled mark of the crankshaft pulley. Install the timing belt on the crankshaft timing, and waterpump pulleys.
Install the timing belt guide. Remove the crankshaft pulley bolt. Place the belt guide on the crankshaft timing pulley facing the cup side outward.

3. Install the No.1 Timing belt cover and two gaskets with the three bolts. Torque 5.4 N-m (55kgf.cm, 48 Ft.lbf)
Install the crankshaft pulley, align the woodruff key groove of the crankshaft pulley with the woodruff key on the crankshaft. Install the pulley bolt and SST to the crankshaft pulley. Using the SST to hold the crankshaft pulley, torque the pulley bolt. SST 09213-58012 and 09330-00021. Torque 245 N.m (2500kgf.cm, 181 ft.lbsf) Install the PS belt pulley with the four bolts.

4. Install the LH Camshaft Timing Pulley, slide the timing pulley, facing the flange side outward. Align the match pin hole of the camshaft with the match pin groove of the timing pulley. Install the match pin. Using SST, install and torque the bolt. SST 09278-54012 Torque: 108 N.m (1,100kgf.cm, 80 ft.lbf)

5. Set the crankshaft pulley and align it's groove with the "0" timing mark of the #1 timing belt cover. (The manual shows only one mark located where the timing belt cover is. I would verify #1 at top dead center by removing the #1 spark plug and locating where the piston is)

6. The timing belt will have to be off of the camshaft pulleys for this step. a.(RH Camshaft Pulley) Turn the CAM SHAFT, align the match pinhole of the CAM SHAFT with the timing mark of the No.3 timing belt cover.
b. (LH Camshaft Pulley Position) Turn the camshaft timing pulley, align the timing marks of the camshaft timing pulley and No.3 timing belt cover.

7. Install Timing belt to LH camshaft timing pulley. Using SST, slightly turn the LH camshaft timing pulley CLOCKWISE. Align the installation mark on the timing belt with the timing mark of the camshaft timing pulley, and hang the timing belt on the LH camshaft pulley. SST 09278-54012
Using SST, align the timing marks of the LH camshaft pulley and No.3 timing belt cover. SST 09278-54012 Check that the timing belt has tension between the crankshaft and the LH camshaft timing pulleys.

8. Install RH Camshaft timing pulley and timing belt. Align the installation mark on the timiing belt with the timing mark of the RH camshaft timing pulley. Hang the timing belt on the RH camshaft pulley, facing the flange side inward. Align the timing marks of the RH camshaft timing pulley and No.3 timing belt cover. Slide the RH camshaft timing pulley on the camshaft.
Using SST, align the match pin hole of the CAMSHAFT with the MATCH PIN GROOVE of the PULLEY and install the match pin. SST 09278-54012
Using SST, install and torque the bolt. SST 009278-54012 Torque: 108 N.m (1,100kgf.cm, 80 ft.lbf)

9. Install the Fan Pulley Bracket.

10. Set the timing belt tensioner. Using a press, slowly press in the push rod using 981-9807 N (100-1000 kgf, 200-2205 lbf) of force. Align the holes of the push rod and housing, pass a 1.5 mm hexagon wrench through the holes to keep the setting position of the push rod. Release the press.

11. Install the timing belt tensioner with the two bolts. Torque: 26 N-m (270 kgf.cm, 20 ft lbf)
Remove the 1.5 mm hexagon wrench from the tensioner.

12. Check Valve Timing (very important)
Turn the crankshaft pulley two revolutions from TDC to TDC. HINT: ALWAYS TURN THE CRANKSHAFT CLOCKWISE.

Check the each pulley aligns with the timing marks. If the marks do not align, remove the timing belt and reinstall.

The rest of the instructions involve reinstalling what you removed to get to this point.

While Chiltons isn't the worst manual out there, nothing beats a factory service manual. I think that there is a place on the internet, for a small fee ($10), you can download the factory service manual. It will work well if you have DSL or cable modem, but I have heard it sucks on dial-up! Maybe someone can post a link here, so that you can find it. If not, maybe I'll see if I can find the link somewhere and post it for you.

HTH

4x4Wire.com | OutdoorWire | MUIRNet News | 4x4Voice | 4x4Wire on FaceBook
About 4x4Wire | Advertiser's Guide |
This site and all original materials contained herein are Copyright 1999 - 2013 by OutdoorWire, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved.
The use of this website, OutdoorWire, or any of its publications or services is subject to the terms of use agreement.
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This publication and OutdoorWire, Inc. assume no liability for your use of the material contained within this site.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, SUVWire, JeepWire, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc.

Contact 4x4Wire | Privacy statement 4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums