[Federal Register: December 19, 2008 (Volume 73, Number 245)]
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE - Forest Service
Six Rivers National Forest, California, Lower Trinity and Mad River Travel Management EIS
AGENCY: Forest Service, USDA.
ACTION: Notice of Intent to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement.
SUMMARY: The Six Rivers National Forest (Six Rivers NF) will prepare an Environmental Impact Statement to disclose the impacts associated with the following proposed actions:
1. The prohibition of cross-country motor vehicle travel (with the exception of snowmobiles) off designated National Forest NFTS (NFTS) roads and trails by the public except as allowed by permit or other authorization.
2. Make a non-significant amendment to the Six Rivers NF Land and Resource Management Plan (Six Rivers Forest Plan) to conform with the Travel Management Rule (36 CFR Part 212 Subpart B).
3. Add approximately 58 miles (206 segments) of existing unauthorized routes to the NFTS as motorized trails open to the public for motor vehicle use by vehicle class and season of use.
4. Approximately 7 miles (5 segments) of existing NFTS roads are proposed for dual management as both a Maintenance level 1 (closed) road and as a motorized trail open to vehicles 50'' or less in width.
5. Make the following change to NFTS roads: Allow both highway licensed vehicles and non-highway licensed vehicles to use approximately 25\1/2\ miles (17 segments) of existing NFTS roads currently open to highway licensed vehicles only.
6. Make the following changes to NFTS trails:
a. Allow motor vehicles 50 inches or less in width on approximately 4 miles (1 segment) of existing NFTS trail currently open to motorcycles.
b. Convert approximately 6 miles (2 segments) of existing NFTS motorized trails to NFTS non-motorized trails.
DATES: The comment period on the proposed action will extend 45 days from the date the Notice of Intent is published in the Federal Register. Completion of the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (draft EIS) is expected in spring 2009 and the Final Environmental Impact Statement (final EIS) is expected in summer 2009.
Click here to read the complete Federal Register Notice
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting. Copyright (c) 1999-2020 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission. You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material. All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.