Lobby for the Hobby
Getting involved in the political process and staying vigilant are the best ways you can help keep the automotive hobby thriving and protect it from unfair laws and restrictions. The following are some tips that will allow you to most effectively lobby your elected officials:
1. Develop and Maintain Relationships With Your Legislators and Their Staff: Make contact and develop productive relationships with individual legislators.
2. Educate Legislators About Your Hobby and Your Issues: Educate your legislator about what your business does, who it employs and who buys your products and services.
3. Maintain a Positive Attitude: Try to develop a positive relationship with your legislator. The next time a hobby-related issue comes up that could affect you, that same legislator may be needed to support your cause.
4. Be Informed: Stay up-to-date with SAN legislative alerts, newspaper articles and hearing notices.
5. Get Involved With the Community: Support local charities and fundraisers as it will demonstrate to local residents and politicians that your car club or organization is a positive force in the community.
6. Invite Officials to Participate in Your Events: Give legislators a platform to reach an audience of constituents.
7. Team Up With Other Clubs: To add strength in numbers and ensure that your interests are represented, partner with other clubs or car club councils in your area.
8. Rally Support Behind Pro-Hobby Legislators: Encourage hobby-friendly lawmakers to join the State Automotive Enthusiast Leadership Caucus.
9. Spread the Word: Tear off this page of Driving Force, and take it to your next club meeting or cruise night or post it on an online forum.
10. Register to Vote: Exercise your right to support pro-hobby candidates. Constituents are an elected official’s number one priority. Without you and your vote of support, these officials would not be in office; so make sure you are registered, and get out and vote.
Attention Car Clubs, Event Organizers and Enthusiasts!
Put SAN on Your Mailing List!
We’d like to know what’s going on with SEMA Action Network clubs and enthusiasts across the country; what charity events you’re involved in; when and where the rod runs, car shows, trail rides, rallies and tech meetings are held; and what legislative and regulatory issues concern club members and individual enthusiasts.
- Hits: 4254