Public Meetings Scheduled to Address West Mojave Desert Routes of Travel Designations
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) California Desert District has scheduled eight public scoping meetings to gather public comments and recommendations on the preparation of environmental assessments for eight travel management areas within the West Mojave Planning Area. These eight travel management areas are identified on the attached map, and each one will be a focus of one of the eight meetings. This information will be used to compile travel management area information and develop preliminary route network alternatives for the West Mojave planning area.
Area residents and other publics interested in the public lands and the area public lands route network are encouraged to attend. Public input relative to local area knowledge, issues and opportunities, including route access changes, are needed.
Meetings for Travel Management Areas under the jurisdiction of the Barstow Field Office will be held at the Barstow Field Office, 2601 Barstow Road, Barstow, CA 92311. Meetings for Travel Management Areas under the jurisdiction of the Ridgecrest Field Office will be held at the Kerr-McGee Bldg, 100 West California Ave, Ridgecrest, CA 93555.
All scoping meetings are from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m, and include a presentation and an open-house opportunity to review maps and provide route-specific and location-specific comments to the BLM. The public is encouraged to attend the travel management plan meetings to assure that comments are accurately captured, including location, route or site identification, specific issues, and rationale. You may also provide written comments.
- Monday, January 9 TMA 1: Broadwell Lake, Afton Canyon and East of Barstow Signing Subregions in the Barstow Field Office.
- Wednesday, January 18 TMA 2: Sierras, Darwin, and North and South Searles Signing Subregions in the Kerr-McGee Center.
- Thursday, January 26 TMA 3: Juniper, Rattlesnake, Morongo, Wonder Valley and Joshua Tree Signing Subregions in the Barstow Field Office and the northern most portions of PSSC in WEMO.
- Monday, February 6 TMA 4: Jawbone, Middle Knob and Lancaster Signing Subregions in the Kerr-McGee Center.
- Thursday, February 9 TMA 5: WEMO North Barstow Desert Wildlife Management Area Signing Subregions North of I-15 and SR 58 in the Barstow Field Office.
- Tuesday, February 14 TMA 6: Ridgecrest, El Paso, Rands and Red Mtn Signing Subregions in the Kerr-McGee Center.
- Thursday, February 16 TMA 7: El Mirage (including Edwards Bowl area), Fremont, and Iron Mountains Signing Subregions South of SR 58 in the Barstow Field Office.
- Tuesday, January 21 TMA 8: Lands adjacent to Stoddard and Johnson OHV Areas, and other Signing Subregions in the Barstow and Needles Field Offices South of I-40 and North of SR 247 including, and East of Interstate I-15.
Preliminary alternatives will be provided for review and public comment after scoping for specific areas are completed. Additional public meetings will be held by the Desert Advisory Council Subgroup currently being formed for the West Mojave Route Network. The public will have the opportunity to participate in these subgroup meetings.
- Hits: 3399